A simple and direct method to the problem of twodimensional electromagnetic scattering from a dielectric cylinder with multiple eccentric cylindrical inclusions is proposed. The method is based on the T-matrix approach. An aggregate T-matrix of the external cylinder for TM-wave and TE-wave excitations is derived in terms of the T-matrices of individual cylinders isolated in the host medium. The backscattering and differential scattering crosssections of the host cylinder are easily obtained by matrix calculations for the aggregate T-matrix. Numerical investigation is presented for the case where all cylinders have circular cross-sections. Numerical examples for up to three inclusions demonstrate that the scattering characteristics are significantly influenced by the internal asymmetry and inhomogeneity pertinent to the locations and material of the inclusions.
2. Kishk, A. A., R. P. Parrikar, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Electromagnetic scattering from an eccentric multilayered circular cylinder," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 40, 295-303, 1992.
3. Roumeliotis, J. A., J. G. Fikioris, and G. P. Gounaris, "Electromagnetic scattering from an eccentrically coated infinite metallic cylinder," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 51, 4488-4493, 1980.
4. Parrikar, R. P., A. A. Kishk, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Scattering from an impedance cylinder embedded in a nonconcentric dielectric cylinder," IEE Proc. H, Vol. 138, 169-175, 1991.
5. Roumeliotis, J. A. and N. B. Kakogiannos, "Scattering from an infinite cylinder of small radius embedded into a dielectric one," IEEE Trans., Vol. 42, 463-469, 1994.
6. Stratigaki, L. G., M. P. Ioannidou, and D. P. Chrissoulidis, "Scattering from a dielectric cylinder with multiple eccentric cylindrical dielectric inclusions," IEE Proc. Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 143, No. 6, 505-511, 1996.
7. Waterman, P. C., "New formulation of acoustic scattering," J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 45, 1417-1429, 1969.
8. Chew, W. C., Waves and Fields in Inhomogeneous Media, Sec. 8.4 and Sec. 8.6, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1990.
9. Stratton, J. A., Electromagnetic Theory, 374, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1941.
10. Elsherbeni, A. Z. and A. A. Kishk, "Modeling of cylindrical objects by circular dielectric or conducting cylinders," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 40, No. 1, 96-99, 1992.