This paper presents a novel band-notched elliptical slot antenna for Ultra Wide-Band (UWB) communication, which is printed on a dielectric substrate of RT/duroid 6006 with relative permittivity (εr) of 6.0, thickness of 1.27 mm, and fed by an elliptical open ended microstrip line connected to the 50Ω main line. This antenna is designed to be used in frequency band of 3.1-10.6 GHz. Bandnotched characteristics of antenna to reject the frequency band of 5.15-5.825 GHz, which is limited by IEEE 802.11a, is realized by parasitic inverted-U strip attached to the elliptical slot plane. Effects of varying the parameters of parasitic inverted-U strip on performance of proposed antenna have been investigated. The antenna with optimal parameters obtained from parametric study is fabricated and measured. It is observed that the simulation and experimental results have good agreements with each other.
2. Chair, R., A. A. Kishk, K. F. Lee, C. E. Smith, and D. Kajfez, "Microstrip line and CPW fed ultra wideband slot antennas with U-shaped tuning stub and reflector," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 56, 163-182, 2006.
3. Zhang, G.-M., J. S. Hong, B.-Z. Wang, Q. Y. Qin, J. B. Mo, and D.-M. Wan, "A novel multi-folded UWB antenna fed by CPW," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 14, 2109-2119, 2007.
4. Liang, J., C. C. Chiau, X. D. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Study of a printed circular disc monopole antenna for UWB systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 11, 3500-3504, 2005.
5. Angelopoulos, S., A. Z. Anastopoulos, D. I. Kaklamani, A. A. Alexandridis, F. Lazarakis, and K. Dangakis, "Circular and elliptical CPW-fed slot and microstrip-fed antennas for ultra wideband applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 294-297, 2006.
6. Ray, K. P. and Y. Rang, "Ultra wideband printed elliptical monopole antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 4, 1189-1192, 2007.
7. Zhou, H. J., Q. Z. Liu, J. F. Li, and J. L. Guo, "A swallow-tailed wideband planar monopole antenna with semi-elliptical base," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 9, 1257-1264, 2007.
8. Zhou, H. J., Q. Z. Liu, Y. Z. Yin, and W. B. Wei, "Study of the band-notched function for swallow-tailed planar monopole antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 55-65, 2007.
9. Lui, W. J., C. H. Cheng, Y. Cheng, and H. Zhu, "Frequency notched ultra-wideband microstrip slot antenna with fractal tuning stub," IEE Electron. Lett., Vol. 41, No. 6, 294-296, 2005.
10. Wong, K. L., Y. W. Chi, C. M. Su, and F. S. Chang, "Band-notched ultra wideband circular-disk monopole antenna with an arc-shaped slot," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 3, 188-191, 2005.
11. Su, S. W., K. L. Wong, and F. S. Chang, "Compact printed ultra-wideband slot antenna with a band-notched operation," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 2, 128-130, 2005.
12. Ren, W., Z. G. Shi, and K. S. Chen, "Novel planar monopole UWB antenna with 5-GHz band-notched characteristic," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 12, 1645-1652, 2007.
13. Akhoondzadeh-Asl, L., M. Fardis, A. Abolghasemi, and G. Dadashzadeh, "Frequency and time domain characteristic of a novel notched frequency UWB antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 237-348, 2008.
14. Chung, K., J. Kim, and J. Choi, "Wideband microstrip-fed monopole antenna having frequency band-notch function," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 11, 766-768, 2005.
15. Kim, K.-H. and S.-O. Park, "Analysis of the small band-rejected antenna with the parasitic strip for UWB," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 6, 2006.
16. Zhang, G.-M., J.-S. Hong, and B.-Z. Wang, "Two novel band-notched UWB slot antennas fed by microstrip line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 209-218, 2008.
17. IE3D, Zeland Software IE3D User’s Manual Release 9, Zeland Software Inc., Available online: http://www.zeland.com.