In the application of two-dimension (2D) finite-difference time-domain (FDTD) to scattering analysis of object embedded in layered media, the incident electromagnetic wave propagation is much more complicated, it can not inject the plane wave source by traditional method. To solve this problem, the Π-shape total-field/scatteringfield (TF-SF) boundary scheme is presented. The side TF-SF boundaries are governed by the modified 1D Maxwell's equations, but the discretization for which to p-wave is more difficult than n-wave. Then an auxiliary magnetic variable is used, which can develop the modified 1D-FDTD to p-wave without any approximately. To truncate the modified 1D-FDTD, the convolutional perfectly matched layer (CPML) absorbing boundary condition (ABC) is also given. Examples showthe feasibility and applicability of proposed Π-shape TF/SF boundaries scheme.
2. Wong, P. B., et al., "A three-wave FDTD approach to surface scattering with applications to remote sensing of geophysical surface," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 44, No. 4, 504-513, 1996.
3. Yun, Y., et al., "A new2-D FDTD method applied to scattering by infinite objects with oblique incidence," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 47, No. 4, 756-762, 2005.
4. Winton, S. C., P. Kosmas, and C. M. Rappaport, "FDTD simulation of TE and TM plane waves at nonzero incidence in arbitrary layered media," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 5, 1721-1728, 2005.
5. Capoglu, I. R. and G. S. Smith, "A total-field/scattered-field plane-wave source for the FDTD analysis of layered media," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 1, 158-169, 2008.
6. Taflove, A. and S. C. Hagness, Computational Electrodynamics: The Finite-Difference Time-Domain Method, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2005.
7. Oguz, U. and L. Gurel, "Interpolation techniques to improve the accuracy of the plane wave excitations in the finite difference time domain method," Radio Science, Vol. 32, No. 6, 2189-2199, 1997.
8. Oguz, U., L. Gurel, and O. Arıkan, "An efficient and accurate technique for the incident-wave excitations in the FDTD method," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 46, No. 6, 869-882, 1998.
9. Roden, J. A. and S. D. Gedney, "Convolutional PML (CPML): An efficient FDTD implementation of CFS-PML for arbitrary media," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 27, No. 12, 334-339, 2000.
10. Luebbers, R. J., et al., "A frequency-dependent finite-difference time-domain formulation for dispersive materials," IEEE Trans. on EMC, Vol. 32, No. 3, 222-227, 1990.
11. Converse, M., et al., "Ultrawide-band microwave space-time beam forming for hyperthermia treatment of breast cancer: A computational feasibility study," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 52, No. 8, 1876-1889, 2004.
12. Kong, J. A., Electromagnetic Wave Theory, Higher Education Press, Beijing, 2002.
13. Rui, P.-L. and R.-S. Chen, "Implicitly restarted gamres fast Fourier transform method for electromagnetic scattering," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 7, 973-986, 2007.
14. Zainud-Deen, S. H., A. Z. Botros, and M. S. Ibrahim, "Scattering from bodies coated with metamaterial using FDTD method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 279-290, 2008.
15. Hu, X.-J. and D.-B. Ge, "Study on conformal FDTD for electromagnetic scattering by targets with thin coating," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 305-319, 2008.
16. Yang, L.-X., D.-B. Ge, and B. Wei, "FDTD/TDPO hybrid approach for analysis of EM scattering of combinative objects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 275-284, 2007.
17. Uduwawala, D., "Modeling and investigattion of planar parabolic dipoles for GPR application: A comparison with bow-tie using FDTD," Journal of ElectroMagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 2, 227-236, 2006.
18. Tan, K.-B., L. Li, and C.-H. Liang, "Canonical analysis for disspersive electromagnetic medium," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 11, 1499-1505, 2007.
19. Sukharevsky, O. I. and V. A. Vasilets, "Scattering of reflector antenna with conic dielectric radome," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 4, 159-169, 2008.
20. Wang, M.-J., Z.-S. Wu, and Y.-L. Li, "Investigation on the scattering characteristics of Gaussian beam from two dimensional dielectric rough surfaces based on the Kirchhoff approximation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 4, 223-235, 2008.
21. Abd-El-Ranouf, H. E. and R. Mittra, "Scattering analysis of dielectric coated cones," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 13, 1857-1871, 2007.
22. Wang, M. Y., et al., "FDTD study on scattering of metallic column covered by double-negative metamaterial," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 14, 1905-1914, 2007.