Anew wideband and compact bandstop filter using one dimensional (1-D) mushroom-like electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) structures is proposed in this paper. Although the proposed structure can not be fabricated as easy as defected ground structure (DGS) filters, it has several winning features such as more compactness, better characteristics and no backward radiation. A5-cell 1-D mushroomlike EBG filter is compared with 5-cell and 9-cell circular DGS filters. The 1-D mushroom-like EBG filter is found to be more compact as it requires fewer cells for the same characteristics and also as it has 0.44 times shorter cell length. The proposed EBG filter has a 10-dB bandwidth of 39% while the 5-cell and 9-cell DGS filters have 10-dB bandwidth of 20% and 27%, respectively. Also, the 1-D mushroom-like EBG filter is studied for various number of cells and compared with a two dimensional (2-D) structure. The simulated and measured results are found to be in good agreement.
2. Engheta, N. and R. W. Ziolkowski, Metamaterials Physics and Engineering Explorations, Wiley, New York, 2006.
3. Chang, C. C., Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "Analysis and applications of uniplanar compact photonic bandgap structures," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 41, 211-235, 2003.
4. Pirhadi, A., F. Keshmiri, M. Hakkak, and M. Tayarani, "Analysis and design of dual band high directivity EBG resonator antenna using square loop FSS as superstate layer," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 70, 1-20, 2007.
5. Pirhadi, A., M. Hakkak, and F. Keshmiri, "Using electromagnetic bandgap superstrate to enhance the bandwidth of probe-fed microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 61, 215-230, 2006.
6. Yang, F., V. Demir, D. A. Elsherbeni, A. Z. Elsherbeni, and A. A. Eldek, "Enhancement of printed dipole antennas characteristics using semi-EBG ground plane," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 8, 993-1006, 2006.
7. Li, L., C.-H. Liang, and C.-H. Chan, "Waveguide end-slot phased array antenna integrated with electromagnetic bandgap structures," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 2, 161-174, 2007.
8. Gu, Y. Y., W. X. Zhang, and Z. C. Ge, "Two improved Fabry-Perot resonator printed antennas using EBG superstrate and AMC substrate," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 6, 719-728, 2007.
9. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Microstrip antennas integrated with electromagnetic band-gap (EBG) structures: Alo w mutual coupling design for array applications," IEEE Trans. Ant. Prop., Vol. 51, 2939-2949, 2003.
10. Fu, Y. Q., Q. R. Zheng, Q. Gao, and G. H. Zhang, "Mutual coupling reduction between large antenna arrays using electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) structures," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 6, 819-825, 2006.
11. Yang, L., M. Fan, and Z. Feng, "Aspiral electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) structure and its application in microstrip antenna arrays," Proc. APMC, Vol. 5, 418-422, China, 2005.
12. Zheng, Q.-R., B.-Q. Lin, Y.-Q. Fu, and N.-C. Yuan, "Characteristics and applications of a novel compact spiral electromagnetic band-gap (EBG) structure," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 2, 199-213, 2007.
13. Moghadasi, M. S., A. R. Attari, and M. M. Mirsalehi, Comparison between various compact Electromagnetic Band-gap (EBG) structures for coupling reduction in antenna arrays, Proc. IWAT, 175-178, Japan, 2008.
14. Wu, B., B. Li, T. Su, and C.-H. Liang, "Equivalent-circuit analysis and lowpass filter design of split-ring resonator DGS," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 14, 1943-1953, 2006.
15. Chen, J., Z.-B.Weng, Y.-C. Jiao, and F.-S. Zhang, "Lowpass filter design of Hilbert curve ring defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 70, 269-280, 2007.
16. Radisic, V., Y. Qian, R. Coccioli, and T. Itoh, "Novel 2-D photonic bandgap structure for microstrip lines," IEEE Microw. Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 8, No. 2, 69-71, 1998.
17. Falcone, F., T. Lopetegi, and M. Sorolla, "1-D and 2-D photonic bandgap microstrip structures," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 22, No. 6, 411-412, 1999.
18. Huang, S. Y. and Y. H. Lee, "Tapered dual-plane compact electromagnetic bandgap microstrip filter structures," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 9, 2656-2664, 2005.
19. Sharma, R., T. Chakravarty, and S. Bhooshan, "Design of a novel 3 dB Microstrip backward wave coupler using defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 65, 261-273, 2006.