An analysis of the modal propagation characteristics of a Bragg fiber having asymmetric loop boundary is made, using a simple matrix method. The boundary condition is replaced by matrix equation andthe modal eigen value equation is obtained under weak guidance condition. The computed results are shown in the form of dispersion curves and cutoff frequencies andare compared with the dispersion curves of a standard Bragg fiber having circular core cross section. It is seen that the proposed Bragg fiber with a small number of claddings (two of four) shows comparable or even better performance than the standard Bragg fiber with respect to a few mode-guidance properties.
2. Fink, Y., D. J. Ripin, S. Fan, C. Chen, J. D. Joannopoulos, and E. L. Thomas, "Guiding optical light in air using an all dielectric structure," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 17, 2039-2041, 1999.
3. Ouyang, G., Y. Xu, and A. Yariv, "Comparative study of air-core and coaxial Bragg fibers: Single-mode transmission and dispersion characteristics," Opt. Express, Vol. 9, 733-747, 2001.
4. Xu, Y., R. K. Lee, and A. Yariv, "Asymptotic analysis of Bragg fibers," Opt. Letters, Vol. 25, 1756-1758, 2000.
5. Xu, Y., G. X. Ouyang, R. K. Lee, and A. Yariv, "Asymptotic matrix theory of Bragg fibers," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 20, 428-440, 2002.
6. Marcou, J., F. Brechet, and P . Roy, "Design of weakly guiding Bragg fibres for chromatic dispersion shifting towards short wavelengths," J. Opt. A, Vol. 3, S144-S153, 2001.
7. Argyros, A., "Guided modes and loss in Bragg fibres," Opt. Express, Vol. 10, 1411-1417, 2002.
8. Xu, Y. and A. Yariv, "Asymptotic analysis of silicon based Bragg fibers," Opt. Express, Vol. 11, 1039-1049, 2003.
9. Dasgupta, S., B. P. Pal, and M. R. Shenoy, "Design of a low loss fiber with high negative dispersion for the TE01 mode," Frontiers in Optics 2004 Technical Digest, 2004.
10. Samuel, E. P. and D. S. Patil, "Analysis of wavefunction distribution in quantum well biased laser diode using transfer matrix method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research L, Vol. 1, 119-128, 2008.
11. Ghorbaninejad, H. and M. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, "Compact bandpass filters utilizing dielectric filled waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 7, 105-115, 2008.
12. Brovenko, A., P. Melezhik, A. Poyedinchuk, N. Yashina, and G. Granet, "Surface resonances of metal stripe grating on the plane boundary of metamaterial," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 63, 209-22, 2006.
13. Elsabbagh, M. A., "Analytical dielectric constant sensitivity of ridge waveguide filters," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 3, 375-388, 2006.
14. Guo, S., S. Albin, and R. S. Rogowski, "Comparative analysis of Bragg fibers," Opt. Express, Vol. 12, 198-207, 2004.
15. Pal, B. P., S. Dasgupta, and H. R. Shenoy, "Bragg fiber design for transparent metro networks," Opt. Express, Vol. 13, 621-626, 2005.
16. Vivek, S., B. Prasad, and S. P. Ojha, "Analysis of the modal characteristics of a Bragg fiber with a small number of claddings using a simple analytical approach," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 3, 271-275, 2005.
17. Prajapati, Y., V. Singh, and J. P. Saini, "Modal analysis of a super elliptical Bragg waveguide with a small number of periodic cladding layers based on a very simple analytical technology," Optik, 2007.
18. Vivek, S., Y. Prajapati, and J. P. Saini, "Modal analysis and dispersion curves of a new unconventional Bragg waveguide using a very simple method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 191-204, 2006.
19. Prokopovich, D. V., A. V. Popov, and A. V. Vinogradov, "Analytical andn umerical aspects of Bragg fiber design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 6, 361-379, 2008.
20. Vivek, S., B. Prasad, and S. P. Ojha, "Weak guidance modal analysis and dispersion curves of an infrared-lightguide having a core cross-section with a new type of asymmetric loop boundary," Optical Fiber Technology, Vol. 6, 290-298, 2000.
21. Vivek, S., M. Joshi, B. Prasad, and S. P. Ojha, "Modal dispersion characteristics and waveguide dispersion of an optical waveguide having a new unconventional core cross-section," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 4, 455-468, 2004.
22. Maurya, S. N., V. Singh, B. Prasad, and S. P. Ojha, "An optical waveguide with a hypocycloidal core cross-section having a conducting sheath helical winding on the core cladding boundary --- A comparative modal dispersion study vis-a-vis standard fiber with a sheath winding," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 10, 1307-1326, 2005.
23. Vivek, S., S. N. Maurya, B. Prasad, and S. P. Ojha, "Conducting sheath helical winding on the core-cladding interface of a lightguide having a Piet Hein core cross-section and a standard optical fiber of circular cross-section-a comparative study," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 231-249, 2006.
24. Maurya, S. N., V. Singh, B. Prasad, and S. P. Ojha, "Modal analysis and waveguide dispersion of an optical waveguide having a cross section of the shape of a cardiod," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 8, 1021-1035, 2006.
25. Kong, J. A., Electromagnetic Wave Theory, EMW Publishing, 2005.
26. Liu, L., K. Li, and W.-Y. Pan, "Electromagnetic field from a vertical electric dipole in a four-layered region," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 8, 213-241, 2008.
27. Gavdner, W. B., "Microbend loss in optical fibers," Bell Sys. Tech. J., Vol. 54, 457-465, 1975.
28. Suhir, E., "Effect of initial curvature on low temperature microbending of optical fiber," J. Lightwave Tech., Vol. 6, 1321-1327, 1988.