Time Reversal Mirror (TRM) technique, in the virtue of its high resolution in the heterogeneous media, has been widely applied in the area of acoustics and electromagnetics. In this paper, the technique is developed to imaging targets in the contest of ultra-wideband (UWB) through wall radar (TWR) through numerical simulation. We firstly consider the technique to image targets behind a single-layered wall and then extend to the multi-layered wall. The simulation results have reported the imaging capability of the algorithm and its powerful use for TWRimaging. For concerning the image stability, we investigate the TRM images for the case in which there is a mismatch between the walls associated with the forward and inverse phases of time reversal. The back projection imaging algorithm is compared here at the same time for a contrast of the imaging quality. Finally, some conclusions are drawn.
2. Hunt, A. R., "A wideband imaging radar for through-the-wall surveillance," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 5403, 590-596, 2004.
3. Borek, S. E., "An overview of through the wall surveillance for homeland security," IEEE, Proceedings of the 34th Applied Imagery and Pattern Recognition Workshop, 6-11, 2005.
4. Zhuge, X., T. G. Savalyev, and A. G. Yarovoy, "Assessment of electromagnetic requirements for UWB through-wall radar," IEEE, Proc. ICEAA, 923-926, 2007.
5. Yang, Y. and A. E. Fathy, "See-through-wall imaging using ultra wideband short-pulse radar system," IEEE, Anten. and Propag. Society International Symposium, Vol. 38, 334-337, 2005.
6. Yang, Y., Y. Wang, and A. E. Fathy, "Design of compact Vivaldi antenna arrays for UWB see through wall applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 401-418, 2008.
7. Hunt, A. R., "A wideband imaging radar for through-the-wall surveillance," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 5403, 590-596, 2004.
8. Beeri, A. and R. Daisy, "High-resolution through wall imaging," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 6201, 62010J, 2006.
9. Hunt, A. R., "Image formation through walls using a distributed radar sensor array," Applied Imagery Pattern Recognition Workshop, 232-237, 2003.
10. Fan, Z. G., L. X. Ran, and J. A. Kong, "Source pulse optimizations for UWB radio systems," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, 1535-1550, 2006.
11. Zetik, R., S. Crabbe, J. Krajnak, P. Peyerl, J. Sachs, and R. Thoma, "Detection and localization of persons behind obstacles using Msequence through-the-wall radar," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 6201, 62010I, 2006.
12. Song, L.-P., C. Yu, and Q. H. Liu, "Through-wall imaging (TWI) by radar: 2-D tomographic results and analyses," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 43, 2793-2798, 2005.
13. Cui, G., L. Kong, and J. Yang, "A back-projection algorithm to stepped-frequency synthetic aperture through-the-wall radar imaging," Process of 1st Asian and Pacific Conference on Synthetic Aperture Radar, 123-126, 2007.
14. Abubakar, A., P. M. van den Berg, and S. Y. Semenov, "Two and three dimensional algorithms for microwave imaging and inverse three dimensional algorithms for microwave imaging and inverse," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 37, 57-79, 2002.
15. Song, L. P., Q. H. Liu, F. Li, and Z. Q. Zhang, "Reconstruction of three dimensional objects in layered media: Numerical experiments," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, 1556-1561, 2005.
16. Ahmad, F., M. G. Amin, and G. Mandapati, "Autofocusing of through-the-wall radar imagery under unknown wall characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 16, 1785-1795, 2007.
17. Fink, M., "Time reversal of ultrasonic fields-part I: Basic principles," IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, Vol. 39, 555-566, 1992.
18. Fink, M., "Time reversed acoustics," Physics Today, Vol. 50, 34-40, 1997.
19. Derode, A., P. Roux, and M. Fink, "Robust acoustic time reversal with high-order multiple scattering," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 75, 4206-4209, 1995.
20. Kim, S., G. F. Edelmann, W. A. Kuperman, W. S. Hodgkiss, H. C. Song, and T. Akal, "Spatial resolution of time-reversal arrays in shallow water," J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 110, 820-829, 2001.
21. Borcea, L., C. Tsogka, G. Papanicolaou, and J. Berryman, "Imaging and time reversal in random media," Inverse Problems, Vol. 18, 1247-1279, 2002.
22. Tsogka, C. and G. Papanicolaou, "Time reversal through a solid-liquid interface and super-resolution," Inverse Problems, Vol. 18, 1639-1657, 2002.
23. Papanicolaou, G., L. Ryzhik, and K. Solna, "The parabolic wave approximation and time reversal," Matematica Contemporanea, Vol. 23, 139-160, 2002.
24. Lerosey, G., J. de Rosny, A. Tourin, A. Derode, G. Montaldo, and M. Fink, "Time reversal of electromagnetic waves," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 92, 1939041-3, 2004.
25. Liu, D., G. Kang, L. Li, Y. Chen, S. Vasudevan, W. Joines, Q. H. Liu, J. Krolik, and L. Carin, "Electromagnetic time-reversal imaging of a target in a cluttered environment," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, 3058-3066, 2005.
26. Tortel, H., G. Micolau, and M. Saillard, "Decomposition of the time reversal operator for electromagnetic scattering," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 13, 687-719, 1999.
27. Liu, D., J. Krolik, and L. Carin, "Electromagnetic target detection in uncertain media: Time-reversal and minimum-variance," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 45, 934-944, 2007.
28. Liu, D., S. Vasudevan, J. Krolik, G. Bal, and L. Carin, "Electromagnetic time-reversal source localization in changing media: Experiment and analysis," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 55, 344-354, 2007.
29. Chen, X., "Time-reversal operator for a small sphere in electromagnetic fields," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, 1219-1230, 2007.
30. Rao, T. and X. Chen, "Analysis of the time-reversal operator for a single cylinder under two-dimensional settings," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, 2153-2165, 2006.
31. Chambers, D. H. and J. G. Berryman, "Analysis of the time-reversal operator for a small spherical scatterer in an electromagnetic field," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, 1729-1738, 2004.
32. Bal, G. and R. Verastegui, "Time reversal in changing environment," SIAM Mult. Mod. Simul., Vol. 2, 639-661, 2004.
33. Blomgren, P., G. Papanicolaou, and H. Zhao, "Super-resolution in time-reversal acoustics," J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 111, 230-248, 2002.
34. Bal, G. and L. Ryzhik, "Time reversal and refocusing in random media," SIAM J. Appl. Math, Vol. 63, 1475-1498, 2003.
35. Clouet, J. F. and J. -P. Fouque, "A time-reversal method for an acoustical pulse propagating in randomly layered media," Wave Motion., Vol. 25, 361-368, 1997.
36. Fouque, J.-P. and K. Sqlna, "Time reversal aperture enhancement," SIAM Mult. Mod. Simul., Vol. 1, 239-259, 2003.
37. Bal, G., G. Papanicolaou, and L. Ryzhik, "Self-averaging in time reversal for the parabolic wave equation," Stochastics and Dynamics, Vol. 2, 507-531, 2002.
38. Papanicolaou, G., L. Ryzhik, and K. Solna, "Statistical stability in time reversal," SIAM J. on Appl. Math., Vol. 64, 1133-1155, 2004.
39. Chen, G. P., et al., "The prototype of microwave-induced thermo-acoustic tomography imaging by time reversal mirror," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, 2008.
40. Chen, G. P., Z. Q. Zhao, and Q. H. Liu, "Computational study of time reversal mirror technique for microwave-induced thermoacoustic tomography," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, 2191-2204, 2008.
41. Xiao, S. Q., J. Chen, B.-Z. Wang, and X. F. Liu, "A numerical study on time-reversal electromagnetic wave for indoor ultra-wideband signal transmission," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 329-342, 2007.
42. Liu, X., B.-Z. Wang, S. Xiao, and J. Deng, "Performance of impulse radio UWB communications based on time reversal technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 401-413, 2008.
43. Zhao, Z., N. Li, J. Smith, and L. Carin, "Analysis of scattering from very large three-dimensional rough surface using MLFMM and ray-based analyses," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 47, 20-30, 2005.