In this paper, an analysis method for optical wave propagation based on photon model is presented for the characterization of optical wireless communication environment. In contrast to radio waves, optical waves have very short wavelengths, so that material properties become important and often cause diffuse reflections. Channel models including diffuse reflections and absorption effects due to material surface textures make conventional electromagnetic wave analysis methods based on ray tracing consume enormous time. To overcome these problems, an analysis method using photon model is presented that approximates light intensity by density of photons. The photon model also ensures that simulation time is within a predictable limit and the accuracy is proportional to the number of total photons used in the simulation.
2. Komine, T. and M. Nakagawa, "Fundamental analysis for visiblelight communication system using LED lights," IEEE Trans. on Consumer Electronics, Vol. 50, No. 1, 100-107, Feb. 2004.
3. Barry, J. R., J. M. Kahn, W. J. Krause, E. A. Lee, and D. G. Messerschmitt, "Simulation of multipath impulse response for indoor wireless optical channels," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 11, No. 3, 367-379, Apr. 1993.
4. Kahn, J. M., et al., "Non-directed infrared links for high-capacity wireless LANs," IEEE Personal communications, No. 2, 1994.
5. Kahn, J. M., W. J. Krause, and J. B. Carruthers, "Experimental characterization of non-directed indoor infrared channels," IEEE Trans. on Communications, Vol. 43, No. 2, 1613-1623, Feb. 1995.
6. Lopez-Hernandez, F. J., R. Perez-Jimenez, and A. Santamaria, "Modified Monte Carlo scheme for high efficiency simulation of the impulse response on diffuse IR wireless indoor channels," Electronics Letters, Vol. 34, No. 19, 1819-1820, Sept. 1998.
7. Lopez-Hernandez, F. J., R. Perez-Jimenez, and A. Santamaria, "Ray tracing algorithms for fast calculation of the channel impulse response on diffuse IR wireless indoor channels," Optical Engineering, Vol. 39, No. 10, 2775-2780, Oct. 2000.
8. Gonzalez, O., S. Rodrguez, R. Perez-Jimenez, B. R. Mendoza, and A. Ayala, "Error analysis of the simulated impulse response on indoor wireless optical channels using a Monte Carlo-based ray-tracing algorithm," IEEE Trans. on Communications, Vol. 53, No. 1, 199-204, Jan. 2005.
9. Cocheril, Y. and R. Vauzelle, "A new ray-tracing based wave propagation model including rough surfaces scattering," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 75, 357-381, 2007.
10. Jensen, H. W., "Global illumination using photon maps," Eurographics, Vol. 7, 21-30, 1996.
11. Zinke, A. and A. Weber, "Efficient ray based global illumination using photon maps," International workshop on Vision, Modeling, and Visualization, 113-120, 2006.
12. Havran, V., J. Bittner, and H.-P. Seidel, "Ray maps for global illumination," Eurographics Symposium on Rendering, 43-54, 2005.
13. Sadiku, M. N., Numerical Techniques in Electromagnetics, 538-541, CRC Press, 2001.
14. Schlick, C., "An inexpensive BRDF model for physically-based rendering," Eurographics, Vol. 13, No. 3, 234-246, 1994.
15. Didascalou, D., M. Dottling, T. Zwick, and W. Wiesbeck, "A novel ray optical approach to model wave propagation in curved tunnels," IEEE Int. Veh. Technol. Conf. (VTC'99-Fall), 2313-2317, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, Sept. 1999.
16. Bang, J. K., B. C. Kim, S. H. Suk, K. S. Jin, and H. T. Kim, "Time consumption reduction of ray tracing for RCS prediction using efficient grid division and space division algorithms," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 21, No. 6, 829-840, 2007.
17. Jin, K. S., T. I. Suh, S. H. Suk, B. C. Kim, and H. T. Kim, "Fast ray tracing using a space-division algorithm for RCS prediction," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 1, 119-126, 2006.
18. Tao, Y. B., H. Lin, and H. J. Bao, "kD-tree based fast ray tracing for RCS prediction," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 81, 329-341, 2008.
19. Liang, C., Z. Liu, and H. Di, "Study on the blockage of electromagnetic rays analytically," Progress in Electromagnetics Research B, No. 1, 253-268, 2008.
20. Teh, C. H.v and H. T. Chuah, "An improved image-based propagation model for indoor and outdoor communication channels," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 17, No. 1, 31-50, 2003.
21. Razavi, S. M. J. and M. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, "Optimization an anechoic chamber with ray-tracing and genetic algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 9, 53-68, 2008.
22. Liang, C., Z. Liu, and H. Di, "Study on the blockage of electromagnetic rays analytically," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 253-268, 2008.
23. Wang, S., H. B. Lim, and E. P. Li, "An efficient ray-tracing method for analysis and design of electromagnetic shielded room systems," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 19, No. 15, 2059-2071, 2005.
24. Chen, C. H., C. L. Liu, C. C. Chiu, and T. M. Hu, "Ultrawide band channel calculation by SBR/Image techniques for indoor communication," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 1, 41-51, 2006.