A novel time-domain integral equation (TDIE) solver for transient analysis of conducting wires is proposed. It is formulated using the induced electric dipoles as unknown functions. The triangular and B-spline functions are employed as the spatial and temporal basis functions, respectively. By using these basis functions, the matrix elements are found obtainable via exact closed-form formulae, which furnish a robust scheme in terms of stability and accuracy. In addition, to accelerate the matrix filling, a recursive algorithm is introduced. Numerical validations are provided by a dipole antenna, a V-shape antenna and a helical antenna.
2. Rao, S. M., Time Domain Electromagnetics, Academic Press, 1999.
3. Sachdeva, N., S. M. Rao, and N. Balakrishnan, "A comparison of FDTD-PML with TDIE," IEEE T. Antenn. Propag., Vol. 50, 1609-1614, 2002.
4. Zhang, G. H., M. Y. Xia, and C. H. Chan, "Time domain integral equation approach for analysis of transient responses by metallicdielectric composite bodies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 87, 1-14, 2008.
5. Ergin, A. A., B. Shanker, and E. Michielssen, "The plane wave time-domain algorithm for the fast analysis of transient wave phenomena," IEEE T. Antenn. Propag., Vol. 41, 39-52, 1999.
6. Zhou, Z. X. and J. S. Tyo, "An adaptive time-domain integral equation method for transient analysis of wire scatterer," IEEE T. Antenn. Propag., Vol. 4, 147-150, 2005.
7. Courant, R., K. Friedrichs, and H. Lewy, "On the partial difference equations of mathematical physics," IBM J., Vol. 11, 215-234, 1967.
8. Sadigh, A. and E. Arvas, "Treating the instabilities in marchingon-in-time method from a different perspective," IEEE T. Antenn. Propag., Vol. 41, 1695-1702, 1993.
9. Davies, P. J. and D. B. Duncan, "Averaging techniques for timemarching schemes for retarded potential integral equations," App. Numer. Math., Vol. 23, 291-310, 1997.
10. Rynne, B. P. and P. D. Smith, "Stability of time-marching algorithms for electric field integral equation," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 4, 1181-1205, 1990.
11. Rao, S. M. and T. K. Sarkar, "Transient analysis of electromagnetic scattering from wire structures utilizing an implicit time-domain integral equation technique," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 17, 66-69, 1998.
12. Shifman, Y. and Y. Leviatan, "On the use of spatiotemporal multiresolution analysis in method of moments solutions for the time-domain integral equation," IEEE T. Antenn. Propag., Vol. 49, 1123-1129, 2001.
13. Jung, B. H., J. Zhong, T. K. Sarkar, and M. Salazar-Palma, "A comparison of marching-on in time method with marching-on in degree method for the TDIE solver," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 70, 281-296, 2007.
14. Jung, B. H., Y. S. Chung, and T. K. Sarkar, "Time-domain EFIE, MFIE, and CFIE formulations using Laguerre polynomials as temporal basis functions for the analysis of transient scattering from arbitrary shaped conducting structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 39, 1-45, 2003.
15. Andriulli, F. P. and E. Michielssen, "A regularized combined field integral equation for scattering from 2-D perfect electrically conducting objects," IEEE T. Antenn. Propag., Vol. 55, 2522-2529, 2007.
16. Manara, G., A. Monorchio, and R. Reggiannini, "A space-time discretization criterion for a stable time-marching solution of the electric field integral equation," IEEE T. Antenn. Propag., Vol. 45, 527-532, 1997.
17. Hu, J. L., C. H. Chan, and Y. Xu, "A new temporal basis function for the time domain integral equation method," IEEE Microw. Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 11, 465-466, 2001.
18. Xia, M. Y., et al., "Stable solution of time domain integral equation methods using quadratic B-spline temporal basis functions," J. Comput. Math., Vol. 25, 374-384, 2007.
19. Bagci, H., A. E. Yilmaz, V. Lomakin, and E. Michielssen, "Fast solution of mixed-potential time-domain integral equations for half-space environments," IEEE T. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 43, 269-279, 2005.
20. Lu, M. and E. Michielssen, "Closed form evaluation of time domain fields due to Rao-Wilton-Glisson sources for use in marching-on-in-time based EFIE solvers," IEEE APS. Int. Symp. Dig., 74-77, 2002.
21. Pingenot, J., S. Chakraborty, and V. Jandhyala, "Polar integration for exact space-time quadrature in time-domain integral equations," IEEE Trans. Antenn. Propag., Vol. 54, 3037-3042, 2006.
22. Zubik-Kowal, B. and P. J. Davies, "Numerical approximation of time domain electromagnetic scattering from a thin wire," Numerical Algorithms, Vol. 30, 25-35, 2002.
23. Bayer, S. E. and A. A.Ergin, "A stable marching-on-in-time scheme for wire scatterers using a newmark-beta formulation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 6, 337-360, 2008.
24. Rao, S. M., D. R. Wilton, and A. W. Glisson, "Electromagnetic scattering by surfaces of arbitrary shape," IEEE T. Antenn. Propag., Vol. 30, 409-418, 1982.
25. Zhong, J., et al., "A stable solution of time domain electric field integral equation for thinwire antennas using the Laguerre polynomials," IEEE T. Antenn. Propag., Vol. 52, 2641-2649, 2004.