A complete study for the deployment of a wireless sensor network in a forest based on ZigBee is presented in this paper. First, due to the lack of propagation models for peer to peer networks in forests, propagation experiments were carried out to determine the propagation model. This model was then used for planning and deploying an actual wireless sensor network. The performance of the network was compared with the expected theoretical behavior to extract some conclusions that are presented in the paper. Finally, some general conclusions, as an estimation of the minimum number of routers necessary to cover a given area, are extracted from the experiments and presented in the paper.
2. Timmons, N. F. and W. G. Scanlon, "Analysis of the performance of IEEE 802.15.4 for medical sensor body area networking," 2004 First Annual IEEE Communications Society Conference on Sensor and Ad Hoc Communications and Networks, 2004. IEEE SECON 2004, 16-24, Oct. 4--7, 2004.
3. LaGrone, A. and C. Chapman, "Some propagation characteristics of high UHF signals in the immediate vicinity of trees," IRE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 9, No. 5, 487-491, September 1961.
4. Richter, J., R. F. S. Caldeirinha, M. O. Al-Nuaimi, A. Seville, N. C. Rogers, and N. Savage, "A generic narrowband model for radiowave propagation through vegetation," 2005 IEEE 61st Vehicular Technology Conference, 2005. VTC 2005-Spring, Vol. 1, 39-43, May 30--June 1, 2005.
5. Int. Telecommun. Union (ITU), Attenuation in Vegetation, ITU-R Recomm, , 833-6, 2007.
6. Hashemi, H., "Propagation channel modeling for Ad hoc-networks," EuWiT 2008, European MicrowaveWeek, Amsterdam, 2008.
7. Lin, Y.-C. and K. Sarabandi, "A coherent scattering model for forest canopies based on monte carlo simulation of fractal generated trees," Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 1996. IGARSS'96, Vol. 2, 1996.
8. Nashashibi, A. Y., F. T. Ulaby, P. Frantzis, and R. D. de Roo, "Measurements of the propagation parameters of tree canopies at MMW frequencies," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 40, No. 2, 298-304, Feb. 2002.
9. Hashim, M. H. and S. Stavrou, "Wind influence on radiowaves propagating through vegetation at 1.8 GHz," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 4, 143-146, 2006.
10. Kajiwara, A., "LMDS radio channel obstructed by foliage," 2000 IEEE International Conference on Communications, Vol. 3, 1583-1587, 2000.
11. Sazak, N. and H. Abdullah, "The importance of using wireless sensor networks for forest fire sensing and detection in turkey," 5th International Advanced Technologies Symposium (IATS'09), Karabuk, Turkey, May 13-15, 2009.
12. Zhang, J., W. Li, N. Han, and J. Kan, Forest Fire Detection System Based on a ZigBee Wireless Sensor Network, Higher Education Press and Springer-Verlag, 2008.
13. Hefeeda, M. and M. Bagheri, "Wireless sensor networks for early detection of forest fires," IEEE Internatonal Conference on Mobile Ad Hoc and Sensor Systems, 2007. MASS, 1-6, Oct. 8--11, 2007.
14. Li, Y. and H. Ling, "Numerical modeling and mechanism analysis of VHF wave propagation in forested environments using the equivalent slab model," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 91, 17-34, 2009.
15. Meng, Y. S., Y. H. Lee, and B. C. Ng, "Further study of rainfall effect on VHF forested radio-wave propagation with four-layered model," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 99, 149-161, 2009.
16. Li, L. W., T. S. Yeo, P. S. Kooi, M. S. Leong, and J. H. Koh, "Analysis of electromagnetic wave propagation in forest environment along multiple paths," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 23, 137-164, 1999.
17. Yarkoni, N. and N. Blaunstein, "Prediction of propagation characteristics in indoor radio communication environments," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 151-174, 2006.
18. Blaunstein, N., D. Censor, and D. Katz, "Radio propagation in rural residential areas with vegetation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 40, 131-153, 2003.
19. Rohde & Schwarz, Operating manual-Handheld Spectrum Analyzer, R&S FSH, 2007.
20. The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, IEEE 802.15.4-2003 Standard, 2003.
21. Liechty, L. C., E. Reifsnider, and G. Durgin, "Developing the best 2.4 GHz propagation model from active network measurements," 2007 IEEE 66th Vehicular Technology Conference, VTC-2007 Fall, 894-896, September 30, 2007-October 3, 2007.
22. Texas Instruments, CC2430 Data Sheet (rev. 2.1) SWRS036F, , 2007.
23. Int. Telecommun. Union (ITU), Specific attenuation model for rain for use in prediction methods, ITU-R Recomm, , 838-3, 2005.