A novel design of an electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) structure based on the uniplanar compact EBG (UCEBG) concept is proposed in this paper. The structure is realized by inserting split-ring slots inside two reversely connected rectangular patches, which is known as a split-ring slotted electromagnetic bandgap (SRS-EBG) structure. The bandgap properties of the EBG structure are examined by the suspended microstrip line and finite element methods (FEM). The achieved bandgaps have widths of 4.3 (59.31%) and 5.16 GHz (38.88%), which are centered at 7 and 13 GHz, respectively. The SRS-EBG is applied to enhance the performance of a single-element microstrip patch antenna (at 7 GHz) and a two-element array (at 13 GHz) configuration. A wider bandwidth is obtained with a better reflection coefficient level for the single element antenna; a reduction in mutual coupling of more than 20.57 dB is obtained for the array design. In both cases, the gain and radiation characteristics are improved. The results are verified by measuring the fabricated lab prototype, and a comparison with the computed results showed good agreement.
2. Mu, X., W. Jiang, S.-X. Gong, and F.-W. Wang, "Dual-band low profile directional antenna with high impedance surface reflector," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 25, 67-75, 2011.
3. Xie, H.-H., Y.-C. Jiao, K. Song, and B. Yang, "Miniature electromagnetic band-gap structure using spiral ground plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 17, 163-170, 2010.
4. Tiang, J.-J., M. T. Islam, N. Misran, and J. S. Mandeep, "Circular microstrip slot antenna for dual-frequency RFID application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 499-512, 2011.
5. Habib, M. A., A. Bostani, A. Djaiz, M. Nedil, M. C. E. Yagoub, and T. A. Denidni, "Ultra wideband CPW-FED aperture antenna with WLAN band rejection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 17-31, 2010.
6. Gujral, M., J. L.-W. Li, T. Yuan, and C.-W. Qiu, "Bandwidth improvement of microstrip antenna array using dummy EBG pattern on feedline ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 79-92, 2012.
7. Abedin, M. F. and M. Ali, "Effects of a smaller unit cell planar EBG structure on the mutual coupling of a printed dipole array," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letter, Vol. 4, 274-276, 2005.
8. Xie, H.-H., Y.-C. Jiao, L.-N. Chen, and F.-S. Zhang, "An effective analysis method for EBG reducing patch antenna coupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 21, 187-193, 2011.
9. Capet, N., C. Martel, J. Sokoloff, and O. Pascal, "Optimum high impedance surface configuration for mutual coupling reduction in small antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 32, 283-297, 2011.
10. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Electromagnetic Band-Gap Structures in Antenna Engineering," The Cambridge RF and Microwave Engineering Series, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, Mass, USA, 2008 .
11. Wu, C.-J. and Z.-H. Wang, "Properties of defect modes in one-dimensional photonic crystals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 169-184, 2010.
12. Maagt, P. D., R. Gonzalo, Y. C. Vardaxoglou, and J. M. Baracco, "Electromagnetic bandgap antennas and components for microwave and (sub)millimeter wave applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2667-2777, 2003.
13. Dai, X., Y. Xiang, and S. Wen, "Broad omnidirectional reflector in the one-dimensional ternary photonic crystals containing superconductor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 17-34, 2011.
14. Elsheakh, D. M. N., H. A. Elsadek, E. A.-F. Abdallah, H. M. El-Henawy, and M. F. Iskander, "Ultra-wide bandwidth microstrip monopole antenna by using electromagnetic band-gap structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 23, 109-118, 2011.
15. Xu, F., Z.-X. Wang, X. Chen, and X.-A. Wang, "Dual band-notched UWB antenna based on spiral electromagnetic-bandgap structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 39, 393-409, 2012.
16. Lin, M.-S., C.-H. Huang, and C.-N. Chiu, "Use of high-impedance screens for enhancing antenna performance with electromagnetic compatibility," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 137-157, 2011.
17. Monavar, F. M. and N. Komjani, "Bandwidth enhancement of microstrip patch antenna using jerusalem cross-shaped frequency selective surfaces by invasive weed optimization approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 103-120, 2011.
18. Kim, S.-H., T. T. Nguyen, and J.-H. Jang, "Reflection characteristics of 1-D EBG ground plane and its application to a planar dipole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 51-66, 2011.
19. Elsheakh, D. M. N., H. A. Elsadek, E. A.-F. Abdallah, M. F. Iskander, and H. M. El-Henawy, "Investigated new embedded shapes of electromagnetic bandgap structures and via e®ect for improved microstrip patch antenna performance," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 20, 91-107, 2010.
20. Liang, J. and H. Y. D. Yang, "Radiation characteristics of a microstrip patch over an electromagnetic bandgap surface," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 6, 1691-1697, 2007.
21. Li, Y., M. Fan, F. Chen, J. She, and Z. Feng, "A novel compact electromagnetic-bandgap (EBG) structure and its applications for microwave circuits," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, 183-190, 2005.
22. Zheng, Q.-R., B. Q. Lin, Y. Q. Fu, and N. C. Yuan, "Characteristics and applications of a novel compact spiral electromagnetic band-gap (EBG) structure ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 2, 199-213, 2007.
23. Coccioli, R., F. R. Yang, K. P. Ma, and T. Itoh, "Aperture-coupled patch antenna on UC-PBG substrate," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 47, No. 11, 2123-2130, 1999.
24. Tomeo-Reyes, I. and E. Rajo-Iglesias, "Comparative study on different HIS as ground planes and its application to low profile wire antennas design ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 55-77, 2011.
25. Liu, J., W.-Y. Yin, and S. He, "A new defected ground structure and its application for miniaturized switchable antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 115-128, 2010.
26. Wang, X., M. Zhang, and S.-J. Wang, "Practicability analysis and application of PBG structures on cylindrical conformal microstrip antenna and array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 495-507, 2011.
27. Abedin, M. F., M. Z. Azad, and M. Ali, "Wideband smaller unit-cell planar EBG structures and their application," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letter, Vol. 56, 274-276, 2008.
28. Gonzalo, R., I. Ederra, C. Mann, and P. de Maagt, "Radiation properties of terahertz dipole antenna mounted on photonic crystal," Electronics Letters, Vol. 37, No. 10, 613-614, 2001.
29. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Microstrip antennas integrated with electromagnetic band-gap (EBG) structures: A low mutual coupling design for array applications ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, 2939-2949, 2003.
30. Yamamoto, M., T. Koyanagi, and T. Nojima, "Leaf-shaped bowtie antenna backed by a periodic patch-loaded grounded slab," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (APSURSI) , 622-625, 2011.
31. Assimonis, S. D., T. V. Yioultsis, and C. S. Antonopoulos, "Computational investigation and design of planar EBG structures for coupling reduction in antenna applications ," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 48, No. 2, 771-774, 2012.
32. Fan, M. Y., R. Hu, Z. H. Feng, X. X. Zhang, and Q. Hao, "Advance in 2D-EBG research," Journal of Infrared Millimeter Waves, Vol. 22, No. 2, 2003.
33. Yin, X., H. Zhang, X.-Y. Huang, and H.-Y. Xu, "Spurious modes reduction in a patch antenna using an EBG-based microstrip transmission line filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 25, 41-54, 2012.