In this paper, some optimal programs have been proposed through the analyses of transient grounding resistance (TGR) to reduce the grounding resistance using the finite-difference time-domain method. First, the TGR of various electrode types, lengths and sectional programs is studied, and it is found that a flat bar is the most financially efficient conductor to be used as grounding electrode. Enlarging grounding electrode length can reduce grounding resistance when it is shorter than the effective length, but the reduction effect declines as the length increases. Additionally, a series of small electrodes would lead to a much lower resistance than a single large one. Second, it is demonstrated that locally improving the soil near the grounding system is an efficient way of reducing the grounding resistance. Improving a limited area soil surrounding the lifting line would reduce the peak resistance significantly, while local enlarging electrodes surrounded soil conductivity can reduce the grounding system steady resistance obviously.
2. Visacro, S. and R. Alipio, "Frequency dependence of soil parameters: Experimental results, predicting formula and influence on the lightning response of grounding electrodes," IEEE Trans. on Power Delivery, Vol. 27, No. 2, 927-935, 2012.
3. Zeng, R., J. L. He, Y. Q. Gao, J. Zou, and Z. C. Guan, "Grounding resistance measurement analysis of grounding system in vertical-layered soil," IEEE Trans. on Power Delivery, Vol. 19, No. 4, 1553-1559, 2004.
4. Meliopoulos, A. P. S., S. Patel, and G. J. Cokkinides, "A new method and instrument for touch and step voltage measurement," IEEE Trans. on Power Delivery, Vol. 9, No. 4, 1850-1860, Oct. 1994.
5. Tsumura, M., Y. Baba, N. Nagaoka, and A. Ametani, "FDTD simulation of a horizontal grounding electrode and modeling of its equivalent circuit," IEEE Trans. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 48, No. 4, 817-825, 2006.
6. Xiong, R., B. Chen, J.-J. Han, Y.-Y. Qiu, W. Yang, and Q. Ning, "Transient resistance analysis of large grounding systems using the FDTD method," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 132, 159-175, 2012.
7. Grcev, L., "Impulse efficiency of grounding electrodes," IEEE Trans. on Power Delivery, Vol. 24, No. 1, 441-451, 2009.
8. Izadi, M., M. Z. A. Ab Kadir, and C. Gomes, "Evaluation of electromagnetic fields associated with inclined lightning ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 209-236, 2011.
9. Izadi, M., M. Z. A. Ab Kadir, and C. Gomes, "Evaluation of lightning current and velocity profiles along lightning channel using measured magnetic flux density," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 130, 473-492, 2012.
10. Izadi, M., M. Z. A. Ab Kadir, C. Gomes, and V. Cooray, "Evaluation of lightning return stroke current using measured electromagnetic fields," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 130, 581-600, 2012.
11. Gomes, C. and M. Z. A. A. Kadir, "Protection of naval systems against electromagnetic effects due to lightning," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 333-349, 2011.
12. Taflove, A. and S. C. Hagness, Computational Electrodynamics: The Finite-difference Time-domain Method, 3rd Edition, Artech House, 2005.
13. Lee, K. H., I. Ahmed, R. S. M. Goh, E. H. Khoo, E. P. Li, and T. G. G. Hung, "Implementation of the FDTD method based on Lorentz-Drude dispersive model on GPU for plasmonics applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 441-456, 2011.
14. Kong, Y.-D. and Q.-X. Chu, "Reduction of numerical dispersion of the six-stages split-step unconditional-stable FDTD method with controlling parameters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 175-196, 2012.
15. Sirenko, K., "An FFT-accelerated FDTD scheme with exact absorbing conditions for characterizing axially symmetric resonant structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 331-364, 2011.
16. Cao, D.-A. and Q.-X. Chu, "FDTD analysis of chiral discontinuities in waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 20, 19-26, 2011.
17. Mao, Y.-F., B. Chen, H.-Q. Liu, J.-L. Xia, and J.-Z. Tang, "A hybrid implicit-explicit spectral FDTD scheme for the oblique incidence programs on periodic structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 128, 153-170, 2012.
18. Ai, X., Y. Han, C. Y. Li, and X.-W. Shi, "Analysis of dispersion relation of piecewise linear recursive convolution FDTD method for space-varying plasma," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 22, 83-93, 2011.
19. Kong, L.-Y., J. Wang, and W.-Y. Yin, "A novel dielectric conformal FDTD method for computing SAR distribution of the human body in a metallic cabin illuminated by an intentional electromagnetic pulse (IEMP)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 355-373, 2012.
20. Kong, Y.-D., Q.-X. Chu, and R.-L. Li, "Study on the stability and numerical error of the four-stages split-step FDTD method including lumped inductors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 44, 117-135, 2012.
21. Xiong, R., B. Chen, Y. Mao, B. Li, and Q.-F. Jing, "A simple local approximation FDTD model of short apertures with a finite thickness," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 135-152, 2012.
22. Vaccari, A., A. Cala Lesina, L. Cristoforetti, and R. Pontalti, "Parallel implementation of a 3D subgridding FDTD algorithm for large simulations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 135-152, 2012.
23. Salski, B., "The unfolding of bandgap diagrams of hexagonal photonic crystals computed with FDTD," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 27, 27-39, 2012.
24. Lesina, A. C., A. Vaccari, and A. Bozzoli, "A novel RC-FDTD algorithm for the drude dispersion analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 27, 27-39, 2012.
25. Gutierrez, G. G., S. F. Romero, J. Alvarez, S. G. Garcia, and E. P. Gil, "On the use of FDTD for hirf validation and certification," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 32, 145-156, 2012.
26. Tanabe, K., "Novel method for analyzing dynamic behavior of grounding systems based on the finite-difference time-domain method," IEEE Power Engineering Review, Vol. 21, 55-57, 2001.
27. Yamane, H., T. Idegucri, M. Tokuda, and H. Koga, "Long-term stability of reducing ground resistance with water absorbent polymers," IEEE ISEMC, 678-682, Tokyo, Japan, 2011.
28. Yu, W.-H. and R. Mittra, "A technique of improving the accuracy of the non-uniform time-domain algorithm," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 3, 353-356, 1999.
29. ASTM B152/B152M-13:, , Standard Specification for Copper Sheet, Strip, Plate, and Rolled Bar, 2009.
30. ASTM B272-12:, , Standard Specification for Copper Flat Products with Finished (Rolled or Drawn) Edges (Flat Wire and Strip), 2009.
31. ISO 1035-1, , Hot-rolled Steel Bars-Part 1: Dimensions of Round Bars, 1980.
32. ISO 1035-2, , Hot-rolled Steel Bars-Part 2: Dimensions of Square Bars, 1980.
33. ISO 1035-3, , Hot-rolled Steel Bars-Part 3: Dimensions of Flat Bars, 1980.