When using ultra-wide band (UWB) radar to detect targets in various conditions, identifying whether the target buried under building debris or in bad visibility conditions is a human or an animal is crucial. This paper presents the application of the wavelet entropy (WE) method to distinguish between humans and animal targets through brick wall and in free space at a certain distance. In the study, WE, WE change, and WE of the related range points were estimated for the echo signals from five humans and five dogs. Our findings indicate that the entropy or degree of disorder in the energy distribution of the human target was much lower than that of the dog, and the waveform of the human's entropy was smoother than that of the dog. In addition, the body micro motions of humans are much more ordered than those of dogs. WE can be employed as a quantitative measure for recognizing invisible targets and may be a useful tool in the UWB radar's practical applications.
2. Sun, J. and M. Li, "Life detection and location methods using UWB impulse radar in a coal mine," Mining Science and Technology (China), Vol. 21, 687-691, 2011.
3. Shaban, H. A., M. Abou El-Nasr, and R. M. Buehrer, "Reference range correlation (RRcR) ranging and performance bounds for on-body UWB-based body sensor networks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 35, 69-85, 2011.
4. Conceicao, R. C., M. O'Halloran, M. Glavin, and E. Jones, "Numerical modelling for ultra wideband radar breast cancer detection and classification," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 34, 145-171, 2011.
5. Lazaro, A., D. Girbau, and R. Villarino, "Wavelet-based breast tumor localization technique using a UWB radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 75-95, 2009.
6. Zheng, W., Z. Zhao, and Z. Nie, "Application of TRM in the UWB through wall radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 87, 279-296, 2008.
7. Desrumaux, L., M. Lalande, J. Andrieu, V. Bertrand, and B. Jecko, "An innovative radar imaging system based on the capability of an UWB array to steer successively in different directions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 32, 91-106, 2011.
8. Liu, Z., L. Liu, and B. Barrowes, "The application of the Hilbert-Huang transform in through-wall life detection with UWB impulse radar," PIERS Online, Vol. 6, No. 7, 695-699, 2010.
9. Lv, H., G. H. Lu, X. J. Jing, and J. Q. Wang, "A new ultra-wideband radar for detecting survivors buried under earthquake rubbles," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 11, 2621-2624, 2010.
10. McGinley, B., M. O'Halloran, R. C. Conceicao, G. Higgins, E. Jones, and M. Glavin, "The effects of compression on ultra wideband radar signals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 51-65, 2011.
11. Sharafi, A. and A. Ahmadian, "Respiration-rate estimation of a moving target using impulse-based ultra wideband radars," Australas Phys. Eng. Sci. Med., Vol. 35, 31-39, 2012.
12. Crowgey, B. R., E. J. Rothwell, L. C. Kempel, and E. L. Mokole, "Comparison of UWB short-pulse and stepped-frequency radar systems for imaging through barriers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 110, 403-419, 2010.
13. Li, Y. F., X. J. Jing, H. Lv, and J. Q. Wang, "Analysis of characteristics of two close stationary human targets detected by impulse radio UWB radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 429-447, 2012.
14. Jia, Y., L. Kong, and X. Yang, "A novel approach to target localization through unknown walls for through-the-wall radar imaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 107-132, 2011.
15. Lazaro, A., D. Girbau, and R. Villarino, "Analysis of vital signs monitoring using an IR-UWB radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 265-284, 2010.
16. Zhang, W., A. Hoorfar, and L. Li, "Through-the-wall target localization with time reversal music method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 75-89, 2010.
17. Tian, B., D. Y. Zhu, and Z. D. Zhu, "A novel moving target detection approach for dual-channel SAR system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 191-206, 2011.
18. Li, W. Z., Z. Li, H. Lv, G. H. Lu, Y. Zhang, X. J. Jing, S. Li, and J. Q. Wang, "A new method for non-line-of-sight vital sign monitoring based on developed adaptive line enhancer using low centre frequency UWB radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 133, 535-554, 2013.
19. Anishchenko, L. N., A. S. Bugaev, S. I. Ivashov, and I. A. Vasiliev, "Application of bioradiolocation for estimation of the laboratory animals' movement activity," PIERS Online, Vol. 5, No. 6, 551-554, 2009.
20. Donohue, K. D., D. C. Medonza, E. R. Crane, and B. F. O'Hara, "Assessment of a non-invasive high-throughput classifier for behaviours associated with sleep and wake in mice," BioMedical Engineering Online, Vol. 7, No. 1, 1-14, 2008.
21. Otero, M., "Application of a continuous wave radar for human gait recognition," Proceedings of SPIE, Signal Processing, Sensor Fusion and Target Recognition, Vol. 5809, 538-548, 2005.
22. Yarovoy, A. G., L. P. Ligthart, J. Matrzas, and B. Levitas, "UWB radar for human being detection," IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine, Vol. 23, No. 5, 36-40, May 2008.
23. Shannon, C. E., "A mathematical theory of communication," Bell System Technical Journal, Vol. 27, 379-423, Jul. 1948; 623-656, Oct. 1948.
24. Blanco, S., A. Figliola, R. Quian Quiroga, O. A. Rosso, and E. Serrano, "Time-frequency analysis of electroencephalogram series (III): Wavelet packets and information cost function," Physical Review E, Vol. 57, 932-940, 1998.
25. Rosso, O. A., S. Blanco, J. Yordanova, V. Kolev, A. Figliola, M. Schurmann, and E. Basar, "Wavelet entropy: A new tool for analysis of short time brain electrical signals," Journal of Neuroscience Methods, Vol. 105, 65-75, 2001.
26. Yordanova, J., V. Kolev, O. A. Rosso, M. Schurmann, O. W. Sakowitz, M. Ozgoren, and E. Basar, "Wavelet entropy analysis of event-related potentials indicates modality-independent theta dominance," Journal of Neuroscience Methods, Vol. 117, 99-109, 2002.
27. Al Nashash, H. A., "Wavelet entropy for subband segmentation of EEG during injury and recovery," Annals of Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 31, 653-658, 2003.
28. Quiroga, R. Q., O. A. Rosso, and E. Basar, "Wavelet entropy: A measure of order in evoked potentials," Electr. Clin. Neurophysiol., Vol. 49, 298-302, 1998.
29. Immoreev, I. and S. Ivashov, "Remote monitoring of human cardio-respiratory system parameters by radar and its applications," Ultrawideband and Ultrashort Impulse Signals, 34-38, Sevastopol, Ukraine, Sep. 15-19, 2008.
30. Singh, S., Q. Liang, D. Chen, and S. Li, "Sense through wall human detection using UWB radar," EURASI Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, Vol. 2011, No. 20, 1-11, 2011.
32. Zeng, T., C. Mott, D. Mollicone, and L. D. Sanford, "Automated determination of wakefulness and sleep in rats based on non-invasively acquired measures of movement and respiratory activity," Journal of Neuroscience Methods, Vol. 24, 276-287, 2012.