Two different designs of orthomode transducers for the coming Ku-band receiver of the Italian radio telescope in Medicina are presented and compared, showing design details, describing numerical simulations and discussing manufacturing and test results. Such orthomode transducers provide a tradeoff between low-loss and phase-matching, according to different initial requirements where the final receiver architecture has to be frozen. Both designs show high performance over the operative 13.5-18.1 GHz Ku-band. One of the OMT designs has been fabricated and tested, showing results in very good agreement with simulations.
2. Chang, C., S. Church, S. Tantawi, P. Larkoski, M. Sieth, and K. Devaraj, "Theory and experiment of a compact waveguide dual circular polarizer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 211-225, 2012.
3. Boifot, A. M., E. Lier, and T. Schaug-Pettersen, "Simple and broadband orthomode transducer (antenna feed)," IEE Proc. H, Vol. 137, 396-400, Dec. 1990.
4. Tiwari, V. N. and T. Tiwari, "Design and development of orthomode transducer for X-band frequency," 2015 IEEE Applied Electromagnetics Conference (AEMC), 1-2, Dec. 2015.
5. Ruiz-Cruz, J. A., J. R. Montejo-Garai, C. A. Leal-Sevillano, and J. M. Rebollar, "Development of folded dual-polarization dividers for broadband ortho-mode transducers," Asia-Pacic Microwave Conference (APMC), Vol. 2, 1-3, Melbourne, AU, Dec. 5-8, 2015.
6. Banham, R., L. Lucci, V. Natale, R. Nesti, G. Pelosi, S. Selleri, G. Tofani, and G. Valsecchi, "Electroformed front-end at 100 GHz for radio-astronomical applications," Microwave J., Vol. 48, No. 8, 112-122, 2005.
7. Park, S. G., H. Lee, and Y. H. Kim, "A turnstile junction waveguide orthomode transducer for the simultaneous dual polarization radar," Asia-Pacic Microwave Conference (APMC), 135-138, Dec. 7-10, 2009.
8. Meyer, M. A. and H. B. Goldberg, "Applications of the turnstile junction," IRE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 3, No. 6, 40-45, 1955.
9. Gentili, G. G., R. Nesti, G. Pelosi, and S. Selleri, "Orthomode transducers," The Wiley Encyclopedia of RF and Microwave Engineering, K. Chang, Ed., Vol. 4, 3547-3563, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, 2005.
10. Uher, U. R. J. and J. Bornemann, Waveguide Components for Antenna Feed Systems: Theory and CAD, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1993.
11. Lucci, L., R. Nesti, G. Pelosi, and S. Selleri, "A stackable constant-width corrugated horn design for high-performance and low-cost feed arrays at millimeter wavelengths," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 1162-1165, 2012.
12. Chang, C., S. G. Tantawi, S. Church, J. Neilson, and P. V. Larkoski, "Novel compact waveguide dual circular polarizer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 136, 1-16, 2013.
13. Navarrini, A. and R. L. Plambeck, "A turnstile junction waveguide orthomode transducer," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, 272-277, January 2006.
14. Srikanth, S. and M. Solatka, "A compact full waveguide band turnstile junction orthomode transducer," XXXth URSI General Assembly and Scientic Symposium, 1-4, Istanbul, TR, Aug. 13-20, 2011.
15. San-Blas, A.-A., F. Perez, J. Gil, F. Mira, V. Boria, and B. Gimeno Martinez, "Full-wave analysis ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 24, 149-158, 2011.
16. Navarrini, A. and R. Nesti, "Symmetric reverse-coupling waveguide orthomode transducer for the 3-mm band," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 1, 80-88, 2009.
17. Ruiz-Cruz, J. A., J. R. Montejo-Garai, J. M. Leal-Sevillano, and C. A. Rebollar, "Orthomode transducers with folded double-symmetry junctions for broadband and compact antenna feed," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 3, 1160-1168, 2018.
18. Virone, G., O. A. Peverini, M. Lumia, G. Addamo, and R. Tascone, "Platelet orthomode transducer for Q-band correlation polarimeter clusters," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 7, 1487-1494, 2014.