In this paper, we propose a fine scale partially coherent patch model (FPCP) for GNSS-R land applications for soil moisture retrieval. The land surface is divided into coherent planar patches on which microwave roughness is superimposed. The scattered waves of the coherent patch are decomposed into the coherent specular reflection and diffuse incoherent scattering. A fine scale of 2 meter patch size is chosen for the coherent patch to be applicable to complex terrain with large varieties of topographical elevations and with small to large topographical slopes. The summation of scattered fields over patches is carried out using physical optics. The phase term of the scattered wave of each patch is kept so that correlation scattering effects among patches are accounted for. Results are illustrated for power ratio for areas near the specular point and areas far away from the specular point. Comparisons are made with the radiative transfer geometric optics model. DDM simulations are performed with good agreement with CYGNSS data.
2. Ruf, C., et al., "CYGNSS: Enabling the future of hurricane prediction," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Mag., Vol. 1, No. 2, 52-67, 2013.
3. Clarizia, M. P. and C. S. Ruf, "Wind speed retrieval algorithm for the Cyclone Global Navigation Satellite System (CYGNSS) mission," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 54, No. 8, 4419-4432, 2016.
4. Li, W., E. Cardellach, F. Fabra, A. Rius, S. Ribo, and M. Martin-Neira, "First spaceborne phase altimetry over sea ice using TechDemosat-1 GNSS-R signals," Geophysical Research Letters, Vol. 44, 8369-8376, 2017.
5. Nghiem, S. V., et al., "Wetland monitoring with Global Navigation Satellite System reflectometry," Earth and Space Science, Vol. 4, No. 1, 16-39, 2017.
6. Kim, H. and V. Lakshmi, "Use of Cyclone Global Navigation Satellite System (CyGNSS) observations for estimation of soil moisture," Geophysical Research Letters, Vol. 45, No. 16, 8272-8282, Aug. 2018.
7. Chew, C. C. and E. E. Small, "Soil moisture sensing using spaceborne GNSS reflections: Comparison of CYGNSS reflectivity to SMAP soil moisture," Geophysical Research Letters, Vol. 45, 4049-4057, 2018.
8. Clarizia, M. P., N. Pierdicca, F. Costantini, and N. Floury, "Analysis of CYGNSS data for soil moisture retrieval," IEEE J. Sel. Topics Appl. Earth Observ. Remote Sens., Vol. 12, No. 7, 2227-2235, Jul. 2019.
9. Beckmann, P. and A. Spizzichino, The Scattering of Electromagnetic Waves from Rough Surfaces, Macmillan, New York, 1963.
10. Gu, W., H. Xu, and L. Tsang, "A numerical Kirchhoff simulator for GNSS land applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 164, 119-133, 2019.
11. Bertoni, H., Radio Propagation for Modern Wireless Systems, Prentice Hall, 1999.
12. Tsang, L., J. Kong, and K. Ding, Scattering of Electromagnetic Waves, Vol. 1: Theory and Applications, Wieley Interscience, New York, 2000.
13. Tsang, L., J. Kong, and K. Ding, Scattering of Electromagnetic Waves, Vol. 3: Advanced Topics, Wieley Interscience, New York, 2000.
14. Al-Khaldi, M. M., J. T. Johnson, A. J. O’Brien, A. Balenzano, and F. Mattia, "Time series retrieval of soil moisture using CYGNSS," IEEE Transcations on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 57, No. 7, Jul. 2019.
15. Zavorotny, V. and A. Voronovich, "Scattering of GPS signals form the ocean with wind remote sensing application," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 38, No. 2, 951-964, Mar. 2000.
16. Campbell, J. D., A. Melebari, and M. Moghaddam, "Modeling the effects of topography on delay-doppler maps," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, Vol. 13, 1740-1751, 2020.
17. Campbell, J. D., A. Melebari, and M. Moghaddam, "Land forward model matchups with CYGNSS observations in the presence of topography," CYGNSS Science Team Meeting, Ann Arbor, Jun. 2019.
18. Dente, L., L. Guerriero, D. Comite, and N. Pierdicca, "Space-borne GNSS-R signal over a complex topography: Modeling and validation," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, Vol. 13, 1218-1233, 2020.
19. Zhu, J.-Y., L. Tsang, and H. Xu, "A physical patch model for GNSS-R land applications," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 165, 93-105, 2019.
20. Al-Khaldi, M. M., J. T. Johnson, S. Gleason, E. Loria, A. J. O’Brien, and Y. Yi, "An algorithm for detecting coherence in cyclone global navigation satellite system mission level-1 delay-doppler maps," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 1-10, 2020, Early Access.
21. Bringer, A., C. Toth, and J. T. Johnson, "Land Cal/Val activities: LIDAR campaign update," CYGNSS Science Team Meeting, Ann Arbor, Jun. 2019.
22. Oh, Y., K. Sarabandi, and F. T. Ulaby, "An empirical model and an inversion technique for radar scattering from bare soil surfaces," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 30, No. 2, 370-381, Mar. 1992.
23. Huang, S., L. Tsang, E. G. Njoku, and K. S. Chan, "Backscattering coefficients, coherent reflectivities, and emissivities of randomly rough soil surfaces at L-band for SMAP applications based on numerical solutions of Maxwell Equations in three-dimensional simulations," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 48, No. 6, 2557-2568, Jun. 2010.
24. Entekhabi, D., et al., "The Soil Moisture Active Passive (SMAP) mission," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 98, No. 5, 704-716, 2010.
25. Huang, H., S.-B. Kim, L. Tsang, X. Xu, T.-H. Liao, T. J. Jackson, and S. Yueh, "Coherent model of L-band radar scattering by soybean plants: Model development, validation and retrieval," IEEE J. Sel. Topics Appl. Earth Observ. Remote Sens., Vol. 9, No. 1, 272-284, Jan. 2015.
26. Huang, H., T.-H. Liao, L. Tsang, E. G. Njoku, A. Colliander, T. Jackson, M. S. Brugin, and S. Yueh, "Modelling and validation of combined active and passive microwave remote sensing of agricultural vegetation at L-band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 78, 91-124, 2017.
27. Chen, K., L. Tsang, K. Chen, T. H. Liao, and J. Lee, "Polarimetric simulations of SAR at L-band over bare soil using scattering matrices of random rough surfaces from numerical three-dimensional solutions of Maxwell equations," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 52, No. 11, 7048-7058, Nov. 2014.
28. Liao, T.-H., L. Tsang, S. Huang, N. Niamsuwan, S. Jaruwatanadilok, S.-B. Kim, H. Ren, and K.-L. Chen, "Copolarized and cross polarized backscattering from random rough soil surfaces from L-band to Ku-band using numerical solutions of Maxwell’s equations with near-field precondition," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Rem. Sens., Vol. 54, No. 2, 651-662, Feb. 2016.
29. Kim, S.-B., et al., "Surface soil moisture retrieval using the L-band synthetic aperture radar onboard the soil moisture active-passive satellite and evaluation at core validation sites," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 55, 1897-1914, 2017.
30. Duren, R., Ed. Wong, B. Breckenridge, S. Shaffer, C. Duncan, E. Tubbs, and P. Salomon, "Metrology, attitude, and orbit determination for spaceborne interferometric synthetic aperture radar," SPIE AeroSense Conference on Acquisition, Tracking and Pointing, Apr. 1998.