Analytical theory and numerical approaches to the simulation and optimal design of multilayer mirrors and optical Bragg waveguides are developed. Optimal refractive index profiles in planar and cylindrical geometry are found. Reduction of the full set of Maxwell's equations to a scalar boundary value problem in the lowcontrast approximation is discussed. An efficient finite-difference scheme is used to simulate realistic Bragg fibers.
2. Popov, A. V., A. V. Vinogradov, R. M. Fechtchenko, Y. A. Uspenskii, and E. M. Dianov, "Qualitative theory and modeling of hollow Bragg waveguides," ICTON 2003 Conf. Proc., Vol. 1, 206-211, Warsaw, 2003.
3. Fevrier, S., P. Viale, F. Gerome, P. Leproux, P. Roy, J.-M. Blondy, B. Dussardier, and G. Monnom, "Very large effective area singlemode photonic bandgap fiber," Electron. Lett., Vol. 39, No. 17, 1240-1242, 2003.
4. Fevrier, S., et al., "Low loss large mode area Bragg fibre," Proc. of 31th ECOC, Th. 4.4.3, Glasgow, UK, 2005.
5. Born, M. and E. Wolf, Principle of Optics, Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1969.
6. Xu, Y., R. K. Lee, and A. Yariv, "Asymptotic analysis of Bragg fibers," Opt. Letters, Vol. 25, 1756-1758, 2000.
7. Xu, Y., et al., "Asymptotic analysis of silicon based Bragg fibers," Opt. Express, Vol. 11, 1039-1049, 2003.
8. Ramaswami, R. and K. N. Sivarajan, Optical Networks: A Practical Perspective, Academic Press, London, 1998.
9. Johnson, S. G., M. Ibanescu, M. Skorobogatiy, O. Weisberg, T. D. Engeness, M. Soljacic, S. A. Jacobs, J. D. Joannopulos, and Y. Fink, "Low-loss asymptotically single-mode propagation in large-core OmniGuide fibers," Opt. Express, Vol. 9, No. 13, 748-779, 2001.
10. Landau, L. D. and E. M. Lifshits, Quantum Mechanics: Non-relativistic Theory, Pergamon Press, London, 1977.
11. Jamier, R., P. Viale, S. Fevrier, J. M. Blondy, S. L. Semjonov, M. E. Likhachev, M. M. Bubnov, E. M. Dianov, V. F. Khopin, M. Y. Salganskii, and A. N. Guryanov, "Depressed-index-core singlemode bandgap fiber with very large effective area," OFC/NFOEC’2006 Tech. Digest, Anaheim, California, USA, 2006.
12. Uspenskij, Y. A., M. E. Likhachev, S. L. Semjonov, M. M. Bubnov, E. M. Dianov, E. E. Uzorin, O. S. Simokhin, A. V. Vinogradov, R. Jamier, S. Fevrier, and J.-M. Blondy, "Effect of polymer coating on leakage losses in Bragg fibers," Opt. Letters, Vol. 32, 1202, 2007.