The paper aims at solving the problem of plane electromagnetic waves scattered by N dielectric coated conducting strips. The method used is based on an asymptotic technique introduced by Karp and Russek for solving scattering by wide slit. The technique assumes the total scattered field from each coated strip as the sum of the scattered fields from the individual element due to a plane incident wave plus scattered fields from factious line sources of unknown intensity located at the center of every element. The line sources account for the multiple scattering effect. By enforcing the boundary conditions, the intensity of the line sources can be calculated. Numerical examples are introduced for comparison with data published in the literature.
2. Arnold, M. D., "An efficient solution for scattering by a perfectly conducting strip grating," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 7, 891-900, 2006.
3. Young, J. W. and J. C. Bertrand, "Multiple scattering by two cylinders," Journal of Acoustic Society of America, Vol. 58, 1190-1195, 1975.
4. Karp, S. N. and A. Russek, "Diffraction of waves by a wide slit," Journal of Applied Phys., Vol. 27, 353-361, 1956.
5. Elsherbeni, A. and M. Hamid, "Diffraction by a wide double wedge IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag.,", Vol. 32, 1262-1264, 1984.
6. Hansen, E. B., "The diffraction of a plane wave through two or more slits in a plane screen," Applied Science Research, Vol. B8, 73-83, 1959.
7. Saermark, K., "Scattering of a plane monochromatic wave by a system of strips ," Applied Science Research, Vol. B7, 417-440, 1958.
8. Saermark, K., "A note on addition theorems for Mathieu Functions," Z. Math. Phys., Vol. 10, 426-428, 1958.
9. Saermark, K., "Transmission coefficient for a systemof parallel slits in a thin plane screen," Applied Science Research, Vol. B8, 29-34, 1959.
10. Holland, R. and V. Cable, "Mathieu function and their applications to scattering by a coated strip," IEEE on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 34, 9-16, Feb. 1992.
11. Ragheb, H. and E. Hassan, Multiple scattering of plane electromagnetic waves by two dielectric coated conducting strips, 2005 IEEE/ACES International Conference on Wireless Comm. and Applied Computational Electromagnetics , Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, Apr. 3-7, 2005.
12. Ragheb, H. A. and L. Shafai, "Electromagnetic scattering from a dielectric-coated elliptic cylinder," Canadian J. of Phys., Vol. 66, 1115-1122, 1988.
13. Khatir, B. N. and A. Sebak, "Transverse electric wave scattering by parallel metamaterial coated elliptic cylinders," EMTS 2007 --- International URSI Commission B --- Electromagnetic Theory Symposium, Ottawa, ON, Canada, Jul. 26-28, 2007.
14. Kyurkchan, A. G., D. B. Demin, and N. I. Orlova, "Solution based on the pattern equation method for scattering of electromagnetic waves by objects coated with dielectric materials ," Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer, Vol. 106, 192-202, 2007.