In this paper, a new technique is proposed to optimize the conflicting parameters like low value of maximum side lobe level (SLL), narrow beam-width of the main beam and low value of maximum sideband radiation level (SRL) of time-modulated linear antenna arrays (TMLAAs). The method is based on minimizing a multi-objective fitness function by using single-objective differential evolution algorithm (DEA) technique. The method is applied to both uniformly excited TMLAA (UE-TMLAA) and non-uniformly excited TMLAA (NUE-TMLAA) to synthesize low side lobe optimum pattern at operating frequency by suppressing the sideband radiation level to a sufficiently low value. For UE-TMLAA only the switch-on time durations of the array elements and for NUE-TMLAA the switch-on time durations and the static amplitudes with predetermined dynamic range ratio (DRR) of static amplitudes are taken as the optimization parameters for the DEA. To show effectiveness of the proposed approach, the single-objective DEA optimized results are compared with those obtained by other single objective and multi-objective techniques that has been reported previously. Also, first null beam width (FNBW) and half power beam width (HPBW) of the DEA optimized patterns at fundamental radiation are compared with those of the Dolph-Chebyshev (D-C) pattern of same SLL.
2. Kummer, W. H., A. T. Villeneuve, T. S. Fong, and F. G. Terrio, "Ultra-low side-lobes from time-modulated arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Prop., Vol. 1, No. 6, 633-639, 1963.
3. Bregains, J. C., J. Fondevila-Gomez, G. Franceschetti, and F. Ares, "Signal radiation and power losses of time-modulated arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Prop., Vol. 56, No. 6, 1799-1804, 2008.
4. Yang, S., Y. B. Gan, and P. K. Tan, "Evaluation of directivity and gain for time modulated linear antenna arrays," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 42, No. 2, 167-171, 2004.
5. Yang, S., Y. B. Gan, and A. Qing, "Sideband suppression in time-modulated linear arrays by the differential evolution algorithm," IEEE Antennas Wireless Prop. Lett., Vol. 1, 173-175, 2002.
6. Yang, S., Y. B. Gan, and P. K. Tan, "A new technique for power-pattern synthesis in time-modulated linear arrays," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 2, 285-287, 2003.
7. Aksoy, E. and E. Afacan, "Thinned nonuniform amplitude time-modulated linear arrays," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Prop. Lett., Vol. 9, 514-517, 2010.
8. Li, G., S. Yang, Y. Chen, and Z. Nie, "A novel electronic beam steering technique in time modulated antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 391-405, 2009.
9. Yang, S., Y. B. Gan, A. Qing, and P. K. Tan, "Design of uniform amplitude time modulated linear array with optimized time sequences," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Prop., Vol. 53, No. 7, 2337-2339, 2005.
10. Fondevila, J., J. C. Bregains, F. Ares, and E. Moreno, "Optimizing uniformly excited linear arrays through time modulation," IEEE Antennas Wireless Prop. Lett., Vol. 3, No. 1, 298-301, Dec. 2004.
11. Fondevila, J., J. C. Brégains, F. Ares, and E. Moreno, "Application of time-modulation in the synthesis of sum and di®erence patterns by using linear arrays," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 48, 829-832, 2006.
12. Mandal, S. K., R. Ghatak, and G. K. Mahanti, Minimization of side lobe level and side band radiation of a uniformly excited time modulated linear antenna array by using artificial bee colony algorithm, Proceedings of IEEE Symposium on Industrial Electronics and Applications (ISIEA 2011), 247-250, Sep. 2011.
13. Poli, L., P. Rocca, L. Manica, and A. Massa, "Pattern synthesis in time-modulated linear arrays through pulse shifting," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 4, No. 9, 1157-1164, 2010.
14. Manica, L., P. Rocca, L. Poli, and A. Massa, "Almost time independent performance in time-modulated linear arrays," IEEE Antennas Wireless Prop. Lett., Vol. 8, 843-846, 2009.
15. Chen, Y., S. Yang, and Z. Nie, "Improving conflicting specifications of time-modulated antenna arrays by using a multiobjective evolutionary algorithm," Int. J. Numer. Model, Vol. 25, No. 3, 205-215, Wiley Online Library, 2012.
16. Poli, L., P. Rocca, L. Manica, and A. Massa, "Handling sideband radiations in time-modulated arrays through particle swarm optimization," EEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 4, 1408-1411, Apr. 2010.
17. Rocca, P., P., L. Poli, G. Oliveri, and A. Massa, "Synthesis of time-modulated planar arrays with controlled harmonic radiations," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 5-6, 827-838, 2010.
18. Poli, L., P. Rocca, L. Manica, and A. Massa, "Time modulated planar arrays --- Analysis and optimization of the sideband radiations," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 4, No. 9, 1165-1171, 2010.
19. Poli, L., P. Rocca, and A. Massa, "Sideband radiation reduction exploiting pattern multiplication in directive time-modulated linear arrays," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 6, No. 2, 214-222, 2012.
20. Tong, Y. and A. Tennant, "Reduced sideband levels in time-modulated arrays using half-power sub-arraying techniques," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 1, 301-303, 2011.
21. Tong, Y. and A. Tennant, "Sideband level suppression in time modulated linear arrays using modified switching sequences and fixed bandwidth elements ," Electron. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 1, 10-11, 2012.
22. Zhu, Q., S. Yang, L. Zheng, and Z. Nie, "Design of a low side lobe time modulated linear array with uniform amplitude and sub-sectional optimized time steps," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 9, 4436-4439, Sep. 2012.
23. Rocca, P., M. Benedetti, M. Donelli, D. Franceschini, and A. Massa, "Evolutionary optimization as applied to inverse scattering problems ," Inverse Problems, Topical Review, Vol. 25, 1-41, Dec. 2009.
24. Lin, C., A. Qing, and Q. Feng, "Synthesis of unequally spaced antenna arrays by using differential evolution," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 8, 2553-2561, Aug. 2010.
25. Das, S. and P. N. Suganthan, "Differential evolution: A survey of the state-of-the-art," IEEE Trans. Evol. Comput., Vol. 15, No. 1, 4-31, 2011.
26. Rocca, P., G. Oliveri, and A. Massa, "Differential evolution as applied to electromagnetics," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 53, No. 1, 38-49, Feb. 2011.