Electronically switchable microwave filters are attracting more attention for research and development because of their importance in increasing the capability of wireless communication and cognitive radios. In this paper, novel switchable microwave band-stop to all pass filters are designed by using stepped impedance resonator. Commercially available Pin diodes are used in order to allow the fastest switching between band-stop and all pass responses. The theoretical analysis is presented in this paper, and its feasibility has been experimentally verified with a micro-strip prototype. The design was also characterized by measuring the filter performance with increasing power levels of 20, 15, 10, 5, and 0 dBm. The results have shown that the switchable filter is immune to power saturation effects. Nonlinear measurements at higher power levels are also performed and the switchable filter produced low power inter-modulation product. The main advantage of this filter is its capability to switch between band-stop and all pass mode of operation. Other advantages include being small in size, and low in cost.
2. Hunter, I., R. Ranson, A. Guyette, and A. Abunjaileh, "Microwave filter design from a systems perspective," IEEE Microw. Mag., Vol. 8, No. 5, 71-77, 2007.
3. Hunter, I. C., Theory and Design of Microwave Filters, 125-131, Inst. Electr. Eng., London, UK, 2001.
4. Jachowski, D. R. and C. Rauscher, "Frequency-agile bandstop filter with tunable attenuation," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 649-652, 2009.
5. Naglich, E. J., J. Lee, D. Peroulis, and W. J. Chappell, "A tunable bandpass-to-bandstop reconfigurable filter with independent bandwidths and tunable response shape," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 58, No. 12, 3770-3779, 2010.
6. Reines, I., S.-J. Park, and G. Rebeiz, "Compact low-loss tunable-band bandstop filter with miniature RF-MEMS switches," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 58, No. 7, 1887-1895, 2010.
7. Yan, W. and R. Mansour, "Compact tunable bandstop filter integrated with large deflected actuators," IEEE MTT-S Int. IEEE MTT-S Int., Vol. 1611, No. 1614, 2007.
8. Tsai, C., G. Qiu, H. Gao, L. Yang, G. Li, S. Nikitov, and Y. Gulyaev, "Tunable wideband microwave band-stop and bandpass ¯lters using YIG/GGG-GaAs layer structures," IEEE Trans. on Magn., Vol. 41, No. 10, 3568-3570, 2005.
9. Rauscher, C., "Varactor-tuned active notch filter with low passband noise and signal distortion," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 49, No. 8, 1431-1437, 2001.
10. Rodenbeck, C., S.-G. Kim, W.-H. Tu, M. Coutant, S. Hong, M. Li, and K. Chang, "Ultra-wideband low-cost phased-array radars," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 53, No. 2, 3697-3703, 2005.
11. Kobayashi, K., Y. C. Chen, I. Smorchkova, R. Tsai, M.Wojtowicz, and A. Oki, "A 2watt, sub-dB noise figure GaN MMIC LNA-PA ampli¯er with multi-octave bandwidth from 0.2--8 GHz," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 619-622, 2007.
12. Tu, W.-H., "Switchable microstrip bandpass filters with recon¯gurable on-state frequency responses," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 5, 259-261, 2010.
13. Karim, M. F., A. Q. Liu, A. Alphones, and A. B. Yu, "A novel reconfigurable filter using periodic structures," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 943-946, 2006.
14. Chen, Y.-M., S.-F. Chang, C.-Y. Chou, and K.-H. Liu, "A recon¯gurable bandpass-bandstop filter based on varactor-loaded closed-ring resonators," IEEE Microw. Mag., Vol. 10, No. 1, 138-140, 2009.
15. Hunter, I. C., Theory and Design of Microwave Filters, IEE, London, UK, 2001.
16. Bakhit, A. A. and P. W. Wong, "Miniaturized matched band-stop filter based dual-mode resonator," National Postgraduate Conference (NPC), 1-3, 2011.
17. Wu, Z. Z., Y. Shim, and M. Rais-Zadeh, "Switchable wide tuning range bandstop filters for frequency-agile radios," 2011 IEEE International Electron Devices Meeting (IEDM), 2051-2054, 2011.
18. Bakhit, A. A. and P. W. Wong, "A novel single and dual-band miniaturized matched band-stop filter using stepped impedance resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 33, 229-241, 2012.
19. Wong, P. W., I. C. Hunter, and R. D. Pollard, "Matched bandstop resonator with tunable K-inverter," European Microwave Conference, 664-667, 2007.
20. Watertown, M., The Pin Diode Circuit Designers' Handbook, Microsemi Corporation, Sam, CA, 1992.
21. Mitola, J. and C. Q. Maguire, "Cognitive radio: Making software radio more personal," IEEE Personal Communication Mag., Vol. 6, No. 4, 13-18, 1998.
22. Adoum, B. A. and V. Jeoti, "Cyclostationary feature based multiresolution spectrum sensing approach for DVB-T and wireless microphone signals," 2010 International Conference on Computer and Communication Engineering (ICCCE), 1-6, 2010.
23. Naglich, E. J., J. Lee, D. Peroulis, and W. J. Chappell, "Switchless tunable bandstop-to-all-pass reconfigurable filter," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 60, No. 5, 1258-1265, 2012.
24. Ourir, A., R. Abdeddaim, and J. de Rosny, "Tunable trapped mode in symmetric resonator designed for metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 115-123, 2010.
25. Chao, S.-F., C.-H. Wu, Z.-M. Tsai, H. Wang, and C. H. Chen, "Electronically switchable bandpass filters using loaded stepped-impedance resonators," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 54, 4193-4201, 2006.
26. Ning, H., J. Wang, Q. Xiong, and L.-F. Mao, "Design of planar dual and triple narrow-band bandstop filters with independently controlled stop bands and improved spurious response," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 131, 259-274, 2012.
27. Wong, P. W. and I. C. Hunter, "Electronically tunable filters with constant absolute bandwidth," IEEE Microw. Mag., Vol. 10, No. 6, 46-54, 2009.
28. Wong, P. W. and I. C. Hunter, "Electronically reconfigurable microwave bandpass filter," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 57, No. 12, 3070-3079, 2009.
29. Wong, P. W. and I. C. Hunter, "A new class of low-loss high-linearity electronically reconfigurable microwave ¯lter," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 56, No. 8, 1945-1953, 2008.
30. Wong, P. W., "Miniaturized dual mode microwave filter," 2010 Asia-Paci¯c Microwave Conference Proceedings (APMC), 1090-1093, 2010.