An extended transmission-line model is presented for an inset-fed rectangular microstrip patch antenna. The transmission-line model agrees to the cos4 impedance variation for inset-fed microstrip antennas with an addition of a corrective extended feed length upto the inner radiating edge. Verification of the model's complex reflection coefficient is concluded with good agreements with measured results. Further extension of the transmission-line model with for or more thin shorting post connected to multiple varactor diodes have been conducted. Fourty two test cases across five independent antenna designs have been worked upon. Results obtained using the transmission-line model are compared with those obtained with a 3D full-wave solver and measurements. In 69% of the test cases, the transmission-line models have less than 3% deviation to the measured or simulated results. 41% of them have less than 1% deviation. For the first two antennas, both simulated and measured results were compared with the transmission-line model. For the rest of three, results from the transmission-line model were compared to the simulated ones.
2. Derneryd, A. G., "Linearly polarized microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 24, No. 6, 846-851, 1976.
3. Derneryd, A. G., "A theoretical investigation of the rectangular microstrip antenna element," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 26, No. 4, 532-535, 1978.
4. Carver, K. R. and J. Mink, "Microstrip antenna technology," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 29, No. 1, 2-24, 1981.
5. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, Wiley-Interscience, 2005.
6. Ghatak, R. and M. Pal, "Revisiting relations for modeling the input resistance of a rectangular microstrip antenna [Antenna Designer's Notebook]," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 57, No. 4, 116-119, 2015.
7. Ying, H., D. R. Jackson, J. T. Williams, S. A. Long, and V. R. Komanduri, "Characterization of the input impedance of the inset-fed rectangular microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 10, 3314-3318, 2008.
8. Basilio, L. I., M. A. Khayat, J. T. Williams, and S. A. Long, "The dependence of the input impedance on feed position of probe and microstrip line-fed patch antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 49, No. 1, 45-47, 2001.
9. Garvin, C., R. Munson, L. Ostwald, and K. Schroeder, "Missile base mounted microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 25, No. 5, 604-610, 1977.
10. Kan, H. K. and R. B. Waterhouse, "Size reduction technique for shorted patches," Electron. Lett., Vol. 35, No. 12, 948-949, 1999.
11. Reed, S., L. Desclos, C. Terret, and S. Toutain, "Patch antenna size reduction by means of inductive slots," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 29, No. 2, 79-81, 2001.
12. Desclos, L., Y. Mahe, S. Reed, G. Poilasne, and S. Toutai, "Patch antenna size reduction by combining inductive loading and short-points technique," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 30, No. 6, 385-386, 2001.
13. Schaubert, D., F. Farrar, A. Sindoris, and S. Hayes, "Microstrip antennas with frequency agility and polarization diversity," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 29, No. 1, 118-123, 1981.
14. Sengupta, D. L., "Resonant frequency of a tunable rectangular patch antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 15, 614-615, 1984.
15. Lan, G. L. and D. L. Sengupta, "Tunable circular patch antennas," Electron. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 22, 1022-1023, 1985.
16. Garg, R., et al., Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House Inc., 2001.
17. Chakravarty, T. and A. De, "Design of tunable modes and dual-band circular patch antenna using shorting posts," IEE P. --- Microw. Anten. P., Vol. 146, No. 3, 224-228, 1999.
18. Chakravarty, T. and A. De, "Resonant frequency of a shorted circular patch with the use of a modified impedance expression for a metallic post," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 33, No. 4, 252-256, 2002.
19. Ghosh, D., et al., "Physical and quantitative analysis of compact rectangular microstrip antenna with shorted non-radiating edges for reduced cross-polarized radiation using modified cavity model," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 56, No. 4, 61-72, 2014.
20. Wang, Y. J. and C. K. Lee, "Compact and broadband microstrip patch antenna for the 3G IMT- 2000 handsets applying styrofoam and shorting-posts," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 47, 75-85, 2004.
21. Majumdar, B. and K. P. Esselle, "A dual-mode reconfigurable patch antenna and an extended transmission line model," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, No. 1, 57-61, 2016.
22. Majumdar, B. and K. P. Esselle, "Modelling the effect of a thin shorting post in an arbitrary position along the outer radiating edge of a rectangular patch antenna," Proc. Intnl. Symp. Antennas Propag. No. ISAP 2015), 84-86, Hobart, Australia, Nov. 2015.
23. Chen, W.-F., D. Yu, and S.-X. Gong, "An omnidirectional triple-band circular patch antenna based on open elliptical-ring slots and the shorting vias," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 150, 197-203, 2015.
24. Biswas, M. and A. Mandal, "Experimental and theoretical investigation to predict the e®ect of superstrate on the impedance, bandwidth, and gain characteristics for a rectangular patch antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 29, No. 16, 2093-2109, 2015.
25. Richards, W., L. Yuen, and D. Harrison, "An improved theory for microstrip antennas and applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 29, No. 1, 38-46, 1981.
26. Haskins, P. M., P. S. Hall, and J. S. Dahele, "Polarisation-agile active patch antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 30, No. 2, 98-99, 1994.
27. Haskins, P. M. and J. S. Dahele, "Varactor-diode loaded passive polarisation-agile patch antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 30, No. 13, 1074-1075, 1994.
28. Haskins, P. M. and J. S. Dahele, "Four-element varactor diode loaded polarisation-agile microstrip antenna array," Electron. Lett., Vol. 33, No. 14, 1186-1187, 1997.
29. Haskins, P. M., P. S. Hall, and J. S. Dahele, "Active patch antenna element with diode tuning," Electron. Lett., Vol. 27, No. 20, 1846-1848, 1991.
30. Waterhouse, R. B., "Modelling of Schottky-Barrier diode loaded microstrip array elements," Electron. Lett., Vol. 28, No. 19, 1799-1801, 1992.
31. Waterhouse, R. B. and N. V. Shuley, "Dual frequency microstrip rectangular patches," Electron. Lett., Vol. 28, No. 7, 606-607, 1992.
32. Waterhouse, R. B. and N. V. Shuley, "Scan performance of infinite arrays of microstrip patch elements loaded with varactor diodes," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 41, No. 9, 1273-1280, 1993.
33. Waterhouse, R. B. and N. V. Shuley, "Full characterisation of varactor-loaded, probe-fed, rectangular, microstrip patch antennas," IEE P. --- Microw. Anten. P., Vol. 141, No. 5, 367-373, 1994.
34. Chakravarty, T., S. K. Sanyal, and A. De, "Resonant modes of circular microstrip radiator loaded with varactor diode," Radio Sci., Vol. 42, No. 4, RS4024, 2007.
35. Waterhouse, R. B., "The use of shorting posts to improve the scanning range of probe-fed microstrip patch phased arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 44, No. 3, 302-309, 1996.
36. Wei, W.-B., Q.-Z. Liu, Y.-Z. Yin, and H.-J. Zhou, "Reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna with switchable polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 63-68, 2007.
37. Wang, K.-L. and Y.-F. Lin, "Small broadband rectangular microstrip antenna with chip-resistor loading," Electron. Lett., Vol. 33, No. 19, 1593-1594, 1997.
38. Hum, S. V., J. Z. Chu, R. H. Johnston, and M. Okoniewski, "Efficiency of a resistively loaded microstrip patch antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 2, No. 1, 22-25, 2003.