This paper reports a novel, cost effective, and compact ultra-wideband (UWB) antenna for applications in an unlicensed-frequency band of 3.1-10.6 GHz. To achieve the UWB operation, a novel concept of annular shapes, circular slot combinations, and partial ground is employed. Furthermore, the proposed antenna with novel configuration occupies an attractive size of only 18×12 mm2 which allows compatibility with portable UWB application devices. This flower-horn shaped UWB antenna is printed on a cost-effective FR-4 substrate, which exhibits a dielectric-constant of 4.4 and a loss-tangent of 0.019. The fabricated prototype is experimentally tested, and measured results validate the design approach of presented UWB antenna. The measured results confirm its UWB characteristics covering 3.1-11.2 GHz with S11 ≤ -10 dB. Also, a maximum peak-gain of 5.05 dBi at 9 GHz and a minimum radiation-efficiency of 94.35% are noted in the full operating-band. A good agreement has been obtained between the simulated and measured results in terms of reflection-coefficient, gain, radiation-efficiency, radiation patterns and group delay which confirm the suitability of suggested small printed antenna for the intended UWB applications.
2. Koohestani, M. and M. Golpour, "U-shaped microstrip patch antenna with novel parasitic tuning stubs for ultra-wideband applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 4, No. 7, 938-946, 2010.
3. Gautam, A. K., S. Yadav, and B. K. Kanaujia, "A CPW-fed compact UWB microstrip antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 151-154, 2013.
4. Song, K., Y.-Z. Yin, S.-T. Fan, and B. Chen, "Compact open-ended L-shaped slot antenna with asymmetrical rectangular patch for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 19, 235-243, 2011.
5. Ravi, K. T., S. Warathe, and N. Anveshkumar, "Design of a circular planar UWB antenna and its higher cut-off frequency enhancement," In Proceedings of the IEEE 10th International Conference on Computing, Communication and Networking Technologies (ICCCNT), 1-6, Kanpur, India, Jul. 2019.
6. Prombutr, N., P. Kirawanich, and P. Akkaraekthalin, "Bandwidth enhancement of UWB microstrip antenna with a modified ground plane," International Journal of Microwave Science and Technology, 2009.
7. Naser Moghadasi, M., R. Sadeghi Fakhr, and A. Danideh, "CPW-fed compact slot antenna for WLAN operation in a laptop computer," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 6, 1280-1282, 2010.
8. Ali, W. A., H. A. Mohamed, A. A. Ibrahim, and M. Z. Hamdalla, "Gain improvement of tunable band-notched UWB antenna using metamaterial lens for high speed wireless communications," Microsystem Technologies, Vol. 25, No. 11, 4111-4117, 2019.
9. Choi, S. H., J. K. Park, S. K. Kim, and J. Y. Park, "A new ultra-wideband antenna for UWB applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 40, No. 5, 399-401, 2004.
10. Nella, A. and A. S. Gandhi, "Moon slotted circular planar monopole UWB antenna design and analysis," Proceedings of the IEEE 6th International Conference on Advances in Computing, Communications and Informatics (ICACCI), Manipal, Karnataka, India, 595-600, Sept. 2017.
11. Anvesh Kumar, N. and A. S. Gandhi, "Small size planar monopole antenna for high speed UWB applications," Proceedings of the 22nd National Conference on Communication (NCC), 1-5, Guwahati, Assam, India, Mar. 2016.
12. Kasi, B., L. C. Ping, and C. K. Chakrabarty, "A compact microstrip antenna for ultra-wideband applications," European Journal of ScientiFIc Research, Vol. 67, No. 1, 45-51, 2011.
13. Tiwari, R. N., P. Singh, and B. K. Kanaujia, "A modified microstrip line fed compact UWB antenna for WiMAX/ISM/WLAN and wireless communications," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 104, 58-65, 2019.
14. Ebadzadeh, S. R., et al., "A compact UWB monopole antenna with rejected WLAN band using split-ring resonator and assessed by analytic hierarchy process method," Journal of Microwaves, Optoelectronics and Electromagnetic Applications, Vol. 16, 592-601, 2017.
15. Devana, V. N., et al., "A novel compact fractal UWB antenna with dual band notched characteristics," Analog Integrated Circuits and Signal Processing, Vol. 110, No. 2, 349-360, 2022.
16. Syed, A. and R. W. Aldhaheri, "A very compact and low profile UWB planar antenna with WLAN band rejection," The Scientific World Journal, 2016.
17. Doddipalli, S. and A. Kothari, "Compact UWB antenna with integrated triple notch bands for WBAN applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 183-190, 2018.
18. Rao, G. S., S. S. Kumar, and R. Pillalamarri, "Cross shaped slot printed UWB monopole antenna with notch function," Microsystem Technologies, Vol. 21, No. 11, 2327-2330, 2015.
19. Gayatri, T., N. Anveshkumar, and V. K. Sharma, "A hexagon slotted circular monopole UWB antenna for cognitive radio applications," 2020 International Conference on Emerging Trends in Information Technology and Engineering (ic-ETITE), 1-5, IEEE, 2020.
20. Ray, K. P., "Design aspects of printed monopole antennas for ultra-wide band applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2008, Article ID: 713858, 8 pages, 2008.
21. Rahman, M., et al., "Compact UWB band-notched antenna with integrated bluetooth for personal wireless communication and UWB applications," Electronics, Vol. 8, No. 2, 158, 2019.
22. Rahman, M., D.-S. Ko, and J.-D. Park, "A compact multiple notched ultra-wide band antenna with an analysis of the CSRR-TO-CSRR coupling for portable UWB applications," Sensors, Vol. 17, No. 10, 2174, 2017.
23. Elajoumi, S., A. Tajmouati, J. Zbitou, A. Errkik, A. M. Sanchez, and M. Latrach, "Bandwidth enhancement of compact microstrip rectangular antennas for UWB applications," Telkomnika, Vol. 17, No. 3, 1559-1568, 2019.
24. El Hamdouni, A., A. Tajmouati, J. Zbitou, H. Bennis, A. Errkik, L. El Abdellaoui, and M. Latrach, "A low cost fractal CPW fed antenna for UWB applications with a circular radiating patch," Telkomnika, Vol. 18, No. 1, 436-440, 2020.