The formulation of a matrix-vector product with linear complexity for layer-coupling is discussed in the context of scattering by periodic dielectric scatterers embedded in a layered medium and formulated as a spectral-domain volume integral. It is shown how a traditional formulation in terms of reflection and transmission coefficients can be modified to arrive at an algorithm of linear complexity if used as a matrix-vector product. The computational performance scheme is demonstrated for stacks in which scattering objects are distributed over hundreds of layers.
2. Micron, 176-Layer NAND, https://www.micron.com/products/nand-flash/176-layer-nand, 2020,[Online, Accessed June 2021].
3. SK hynix newsroom, "SK hynix Unveils the Industry's Most Multilayered 176-Layer 4D NAND Flash,", https://news.skhynix.com/sk-hynix-unveils-the-industrys-highest-layer-176-layer-4d-nand-flash/, 2020, [Online, Accessed June 2021].
4. Lapedus, M., "3D NAND flash Wars Begin," Semiconductor Engineering, Aug. 2018. [Online, Accesed June 2021]..
5. Maas, J., M. Ebert, K. Bhattacharyya, H. Cramer, A. Becht, S. Keij, R. Plug, A. Fuchs, M. Kubis, T. Hoogenboom, and V. Vaenkates, "YieldStar: A new metrology platform for advanced lithography control," Proc. SPIE. 7985, 27th European Mask and Lithography Conference, 2011.
6. Yee, K. S., "Numerical solution of initial boundary value problems involving Maxwell's equations in isotropic media," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 14, No. 3, 302-307, 1966.
7. Moharam, M. G. and T. K. Gaylord, "Diffraction analysis of dielectric surface-relief gratings," J. Opt. Soc. Am., Vol. 72, No. 10, 1385-1392, 1982.
8. Li, L., "Use of Fourier series in the analysis of discontinuous periodic structures," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A., Vol. 13, No. 9, 1870-1876, 1996.
9. Li, L., "New formulation of the Fourier modal method for crossed surface-relief gratings," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A., Vol. 14, No. 10, 2758-2767, 1997.
10. Valerio, G., P. Baccarelli, S. Paulotto, F. Frezza, and A. Galli, "Regularization of mixed-potential layered-media Green's functions for efficient interpolation procedures in planar periodic structures," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, 122-134, 2009.
11. Jorna, P., V. Lancellotti, and M. C. van Beurden, "Computational aspects of 2D-quasi-periodic-Green-function computations for scattering by dielectric objects via surface integral Equations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research PIER B, Vol. 63, 49-66, 2015.
12. Chang, Y. C., G. Li, H. Chu, and J. Opsal, "Efficient finite-element Green's function approach for critical-dimension metrology of three-dimensional gratings on multilayer films," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 23, No. 3, 638-645, 2006.
13. Magath, T., "Coupled integral equations for diffraction by profiled, anisotropic, periodic structures," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 2, 681-686, 2006.
14. Shi, Y. and C. H. Chan, "Multilevel Green's function interpolation method for analysis of 3-D frequency selective structures using volume/surface integral equation," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 27, 308-318, 2010.
15. Van Beurden, M. C., "Fast convergence with spectral volume integral equation for crossed block-shaped gratings with improved material interface conditions," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 28, No. 11, 2269-2278, 2011.
16. Van Beurden, M. C., "A spectral volume integral equation method for arbitrary bi-periodic gratings with explicit Fourier factorization," Progress In Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 36, 133-149, 2012.
17. Michalski, K. A. and D. Zheng, "Electromagnetic scattering and radiation by surfaces of arbitrary shape in layered media, Part 1: Theory," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 38, No. 3, 335-344, 1990.
18. Michalski, K. A. and J. R. Mosig, "Multilayered media Green's functions in integral equation formulations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 3, 508-519, 1997.
19. Felsen, L. B. and N. Marcuvitz, Radiation and Scattering of Waves, Wiley-IEEE Press, 1994.
20. Gohberg, I. and I. Koltracht, "Numerical solution of integral equations, fast algorithms and Krein-Sobolev equation," Numerical Mathematics, Vol. 47, No. 2, 237-288, 1985.
21. Van Beurden, M. C., T. Zacharopoulou, A. Roc'h, and M. G. M. M. van Kraaij, "A pseudo-spectral longitudinal expansion in a spectral domain integral equation for scattering by periodic dielectric structures," Proceedings of the 2015 International Conference on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications (ICEAA), 1419-1422, Torino, Italy, September 7-11, 2015.
22. Kreyszig, E., Advanced Engineering Mathematics, John Wiley & Sons, 1988.
23. Ko, D. Y. K. and J. R. Sambles, "Scattering matrix method for propagation of radiation in stratified media: Attenuated total reflection studies of liquid crystals," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 5, No. 11, 1863-1866, 1988.
24. Van Kraaij, M. G. M. M., Forward diffraction modelling: Analysis and application to grating reconstruction, Ph.D. thesis, Ch. 5, Eindhoven University of Technology, 2011.
25. Karawia, A., "A computational algorithm for solving periodic penta-diagonal linear systems," Appl. Math. Comput., Vol. 174, No. 1, 613-618, 2006.