An antenna integrated sensor implementation for hand or finger proximity recognition is developed. Capacitive sensor was installed on the antenna of functional Nokia 6021 phone. The sensitivity of the phone with planar inverted F antenna (PIFA) integrated sensor was measured with active TRP (total radiated power) and TIS (total isotropic sensitivity) measurements. Phone active measurements were performed with/without data cables and compared to reference phones. Passive cable phone measurements were compared with active measurement results. TRP results had no significant decrements due to integration compared with the reference phone. Some TIS channels suffered from detrimental effects due to interfering signals, which were measured with a spectrum analyzer.
2. Krogerus, J., J. Toivanen, C. Icheln, and P. Vainikainen, "Effect of the human body on total radiated power and the 3-D radiation element of mobile handsets ," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 56, 2375-2385, Dec. 2007.
3. Berg, M., M. Sonkki, and E. Salonen, "Experimental study of hand and head effects to mobile antenna radiation properties," Proc. 3rd Eur. Conf. on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP 2009) , 437-440, Berlin, Germany, Mar. 23-27, 2009.
4. Li, C.-H., E. Ofli, N. Chavannes, E. Cherubini, H. U. Gerber, and N. Kuster, "Effects of hand phantom and different use elements on mobile phone antenna radiation performance ," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, Jul. 2008.
5. Ofli, E., C.-H. Li, N. Chavannes, and N. Custer, "Analysis and optimization of mobile phone antenna radiation performance in the presence of head and hand phantoms," Turk. J. Elec. Engin., Vol. 16, No. 1, 67-77, 2008.
6. Ranta, T. and R. Novak, "Antenna tuning approach aids cellular handsets," Microwaves & RF, 82-92, Nov. 2008.
7. Komulainen, M., M. Berg, H. Jantunen, E. T. Salonen, and C. Free, "A frequency tuning method for a planar inverted-F antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, 944-950, 2008.
8. Zheng, Y., A. Hristov, A. Giere, and R. Jakoby, "Suppression of harmonic radiation of tunable planar inverted-F antenna by ferroelectric varactor loading," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symposium Digest, 959-962, Jun. 15-20, 2008.
9. Chiu, C. Y., K. M. Shum, and C. H. Chan, "A tunable via-patch loaded PIFA with size reduction," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 1, 65-71, 2007.
10. Myllymaki, S., A. Huttunen, M. Berg, M. Komulainen, and H. Jantunen, "Method for measuring user-induced load on mobile terminal antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 21, 1065-1066, Oct. 2009.
11. Al-Mously, S. I. and M. M. Abousetta, "User's hand effect on TIS of different GSM900/1800 mobile phone models using FDTD method," Proceedings of Worlf Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, Vol. 37, 878-883, Jan. 2009.
12. Kildal, P.-S., "Foundations of antennas --- A unified approach," Studentlitteratur, Sweden, 2000.
13. Colas, O., A. Hadjem, C. Dale, and J. Wiart, "Influence of hand on the terminal total radiated power (TRP)," European Cooperation Cost 273 TD(04)057 in the Field of Scientific and Technical Research, 6-28, Athens, Greece, Jan. 2003.
14. Taoglas Guidelines for Achieving Highest RF Performance and Passing Select Regulatory Approvals for Cellular Devices with Intern.
15. Orlenius, C. and P.-S. Kildal, Measurements of radiated power and radiated receiver sensitivity in reverberation chambers, Proceedings from the Seventh Symposium GigaHertz 2003, , Linköping University Electronic Press, 2003.
16. Myllymaki, S., A. Huttunen, V. K. Palukuru, H. Jantunen, M. Berg, and E. T. Salonen, "Capacitive recognition of the user's hand grip position in mobile handsets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 22, 203-220, 2010.
17. Huttunen, A., S. Myllymaki, M. Komulainen, and H. Jantunen, "Capacitive sensor arrangement to detect external load on a mobile terminal antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 15, 13-18, 2010.
18. Myllymaki, S., A. Huttunen, H. Jantunen, M. Berg, and E. T. Salonen, "Measurement method for sensitivity analysis of proximity sensor and sensor antenna integration in a handheld device ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 20, 255-268, 2011.
19. Anguera, J., A. Camps, A. Andújar, and C. Puente, "Enhancing the robustness of handset antennas to finger loading effects," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 15, 770-771, 2009.