Based on the principle of discone antenna a new UWB monocone antenna is presented. Instead of using traditional cone geometry as a radiator for discone, planar vertical cross strips of aluminum are used as an antenna radiator. This results in wide impedance characteristic and miniaturization of antenna. The simulated model has broadband impedance bandwidth 18:11 form 550 MHz to 18 GHz with Omni directional radiation pattern. The two different antenna models are presented in this paper. Design software CST Microwave Studio, HFSS and Solid works are used for designing and parametric analysis of antenna. Size reduction up to 45 percent is achieved as compared to tradition discone antenna. The N type panel mount connector is used for antenna feeding. As a result of a low profile structure, antenna can be easily mounted for portable application. The antenna radiation pattern is measured in anechoic test chamber. The measured results of antenna are found to be in good agreement with simulation results. The features make the antenna highly suitable for UWB applications.
2. Ammann, M. J., "Control of the impedance bandwidth of wideband planar monopole antennas using a beveling technique," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 30, No. 4, 229-232, 2001.
3. Agrawall, N. P., G. Kumar, and K. P. Ray, "Wide-band planar monopole antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 46, No. 2, 294-295, 1998.
4. Pele, I., A. Chousseaud, S. Toutain, and P. Y. Garel, "Antenna design with control of radiation pattern and frequency bandwidth," Proc. IEEE Antennas Propagation Soc. Int. Symp., Vol. 1, 783-786, 2004.
5. Evans, J. A. and M. J. Ammann, "Planar trapezoidal and pentagonal monopoles with impedance bandwidths in excess of 10 : 1," Proc. IEEE Antennas Propagation Soc. Int. Symp., Vol. 3, 1558-1561, 1999.
6. Suh, S. Y., W. L. Stutzman, and W. A. Davis, "A new ultra wide band printed monopole antenna: The planar inverted cone antenna (PICA)," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 5, 1361-1364, 2004.
7. Kim, J. U. and S. O. Park, "Novel ultra-wideband discone antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett.,, 113-115, 2004.
8. Liu, G. and C. A. Grimes, "Spherical-coordinate FDTD analysis of conical antennas mounted above finite ground plane," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 23, 78-82, 1999.
9. Kraus, J. D., Antennas, 2nd Ed., 692-694, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1998.
10. Taniguchi, T. and T. Kobayashi, "An omnidirectional and low-VSWR antenna for the FCC-approved UWB frequency band," Proc. IEEE Antennas Propagat. Symp., 460-463, 2003.
11. Bergmann, J. R., "On the design of broadband omnidirectional compact antennas," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 39, 418-422, 2003.
12. Yan, W., A.-X. Chen, and T.-H. Jiang, "Design of UHF miniature discone antenna," 2010 9th International Symposium on Antennas Propagation and EM Theory (ISAPE), 356-358, 2010.
13. Chen, , D. and C.-H. Cheng, "A novel compact ultra wideband (UWB) wide slot antenna with via holes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 343-349, 2009.
14. Lin, C.-C. and H.-R. Chuang, "A 3--12 GHz UWB planar triangular monopole antenna with ridged ground-plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 307-321, 2008.
15. Li, C.-M. and L.-H. Ye, "Improved dual band-notched UWB slot antenna with controllable notched bandwidths," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 477-493, 2011.
16. Yazdi, M. and N. Komjani, "A compact band-notched UWB planar monopole antenna with," parasitic elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 24, 129-138, 2011.
17. Chen, H., Y. Ding, and D. S. Cai, "A CPW-FED UWB antenna with WIMAX/WLAN band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 25, 163-173, 2011.
18. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 2nd Ed., Wiley, New York, 1997.
19. Kim, K.-H., J. U. Kim, and S.-O. Park, "An ultra wide-band double discone antenna with the tapered cylindrical wires," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 10, 3403-3406, 2005.
20. Zhou, C.-D., Y.-K. Wang, and E.-Y. Yang, Antenna and Radio, 109-110, Xi'an University of Electronic Science and Technology Press, 1999.
21. Lu, W.-Z., Antenna Theory and Technology, 113-116, Xi'an University of Electronic Science and Technology Press, 2004.
22. Kim, J. and S.-O. Park, "Novel ultra-wideband discone antenna," IEEE Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 42, No. 2, 113-115, 2004.
23. Schelkunoff , S. A. and H. Friis, Antennas: Theory and Practice, Wiley, New York, 1952.
24. McDonald, J. L. and D. S. Filipovic, "On the bandwidth of monocone antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 4, 1121-1196, 2008.
25. Reddy, G. S., S. K. Mishra, S. Kharche, and J. Mukherjee, "High gain and low cross-polar compact printed elliptical monopole UWB antenna loaded with partial ground and parasitic patches ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 43, 151-167, 2012.
26. Yang, S. S., K.-F. Lee, A. A. Kishk, and K.-M. Luk, "Design and study of wideband single feed circularly polarized microstrip antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 45-61, 2008.
27. Mishra, S. K. and J. Mukherjee, "Compact printed dual band notch U-shaped UWB antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 27, 169-181, 2012.
29. Wang, H.-Z., X.-L. Wu, Z.-X. Huang, L. Zhang, K. Qin, and Q. Qi, "Design of a new type of broadband antenna with indoor distribution," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), Vol. 3, 1-4, 2012.