In this paper, two types of reconfigurable Dielectric Resonator Antennas (DRAs) are presented. The designs are based on rotating a Dielectric Resonator (DR), placed on the patch of the antenna, using a DC stepper motor connected to the DR to reconfigure the notch frequency, in the first, and the resonance frequency in the second design. The attained results are a UWB DRA with a reconfigurable notch in the 3.2-5.1 GHz range that prevents interference to many narrowband systems in this range, and a DRA with a reconfigurable resonance frequency suitable for microwave and WiMAX applications. The characteristics of the designed antennas are investigated using HFSS and experimentally verified. The computed and measured results are in good agreement, and the antennas meet their design criteria.
2. Kishk, A. A., Y. Yin, and A. W. Glisson, "Conical dielectric resonator antennas for wide-band applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 4, 469-474, 2002.
3. Petosa, A. and and A. Ittipiboon, "Dielectric resonator antennas: A historical review and the current state of the art," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 52, No. 5, 91-116, 2010.
4. Ain, M. F., S. I. S. Hassan, M. Singh, M. A. Othman, B. M. Nawang, S. Sreekantan, S. D. Hutagalung, and Z. A. Ahmad, "2.5 GHz BaTiO3 dielectric resonator antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 201-210, 2007.
5. Khalily, M., M. K. A. Rahim, M. R. Kamarudin, and M. F. Ismail, "Wide-band rectangular dielectric resonator antenna design," Proceedings of the 2010 IEEE Asia-Pacific Conference on Applied Electromagnetics (APACE 2010), 2010.
6. Chen, H.-M., Y.-K. Wang, Y.-F. Lin, S.-C. Lin, and S.-C. Pan, "A compact dual-band dielectric resonator antenna using a parasitic slot," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 173-176, 2009.
7. Huitema, L., M. Koubeissi, C. Decroze, and T. Monediere, "Compact and multiband dielectric resonator antenna with reconfigurable radiation pattern," Proceedings of the 2010 Fourth European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP 2010), 1-4, 2010.
8. Lapierre, M., Y. M. M. Antar, A. Ittipiboon, and A. Petosa, "Ultra wideband monopole/dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 1, 7-9, 2005.
9. Fang, X. S., K. W. Leung, and R. S. Chen, "On the wideband notched rectangular dielectric resonator antenna ," Proceedings of the 2011 International Workshop on Antenna Technology (iWAT-2011), 270-367, 2011 .
10. Chang, T.-H. and J.-F. Kiang, "Dualband split dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 11, 3155-3162, 2007.
11. Bernhard, J. T., Morgan & Claypool Publishers, Morgan & Claypool Publishers , Chicago, IL, 2007.
12. Tawk, Y. and C. G. Christodoulou, "A new reconfigurable antenna design for cognitive radio," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1378-1381, 2009.