Optoelectronic devices triggered by a laser flash and operating in linear switching regime allow the generation of short pulses with small time jitters (2 ps typically). An Ultra Wide Band antenna array combining as many of this photoswitches as antennas has the advantage to increase the radiation power on one hand and to offer the agility of the radiation beam on the other hand obtained by time delay of laser illumination. During the step of antenna design, it becomes important to take into account the photoswitch integration in order to increase the peak power and the frequency band of the generated output signal. This paper presents an equivalent model of photoswitch obtained with the transient solver of CST Microwave Studio coupled within CST Design Studio. The second part of this article is dedicated to the integration of a photoswitch even within the antenna.
2. Bratchilov, A. N., "Photonic beamforming in ultra-wideband phased antenna arrays: Present state and perspectives," Ultrawideband and Ultrashort Impulse Signals, 159-164, Sevastopol, Ukraine, Sep. 18-22, 2006.
3. Lee, J. J., S. Livingston, B. Loo, V. Jones, and C. Foster, "Performance of an optically fed conformal array," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1994, AP-S Digest, Vol. 2, 828-831, 1994, Digital Object Identi¯er: 10.1109/APS.1994.407964.
4. Godard, A., L. Desrumaux, V. Bertrand, J. Andrieu, M. Lalande, B. Jecko, M. Brishoual, V. Couderc, and R. Guillerey, "A transient UWB array used with complex impedance surfaces," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2010, Article ID 243145, 8 Pages, 2010.
5. Desrumaux, L., A. Godard, M. Lalande, V. Bertrand, J. Andrieu, and B. Jecko, "An original antenna for transient high power UWB arrays: The shark antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 8, 2515-2522, 2010.
6. Chizh, A., S. Malyshev, S. Jefremov, B. Levitas, and I. Naidionova, "Impulse transmitting photonic antenna for ultra-wideband applications," 18th International Conference on Microwave Radar Wireless Communications (MIKON), 1-3, Vilnius, Lithuania, Jun. 14-16, 2010, ISBN 978-1-4244-5288-0.
7. Sotoudeh, O. and T. Wittig, "Electromagnetic simulation of mobile phone antenna performance," Microwave Journal, Jan. 2008.
8. Scott, A. and V. Sokol, "True transient 3D EM/circuit co-simulation using CST studio suite," Microwave Product Digest, 7-8, Oct. 2008.
9. Zu, L. Q., Y. Lu, H. Shen, and M. Dutta, "Temperature-dependent delay time in GaAs high-power high-speed photoconductive switching device," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 7, No. 1, 56-58, Jan. 1995.
10. Vergne, B., V. Couderc, A. Barthelemy, M. Lalande, V. Bertrand, and D. Gontier, "High-power bipolar picosecond pulse generation using optically activated traveling wave generator," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 8, 1645-1648, Aug. 2008.
11. Amari, S. E., M. Kenaan, C. Merla, B. Vergne, D. Arnaud-Cormos, P. Leveque, and V. Couderc, "Kilovolt, nanosecond, and picosecond electric pulse shaping by using optoelectronic switching," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 22, No. 21, 1577-1579, Nov. 2010.
12. Merla, C., S. El. Amari, M. Kenaan, M. Liberti, F. Apollonio, D. Arnaud-Cormos, and V. Couderc, "A 10-Ω high-voltage nanosecond pulse generator," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, No. 12, 4079-4085, Dec. 2010.
13. Koshelev, V. I., Y. I. Buyanov, Y. A. Andreev, V. V. Plisko, and K. N. Sukhushin, "Ultrawideband radiators of high-power pulses," Pulsed Power Plasma Science 2001, Digest of Technical Papers, Vol. 2, 1661-1664, Jun. 2001.