In this paper, the design and analysis of a compact coplanar waveguide-fed ultra wideband pentagon antenna are presented. To achieve ultra wideband performance, two modifications are introduced. The first one is to remove a small fan angle on each side of the ground plan, and the second one is to modify the sharp of the patch in the width. The optimal dimensions can be achieved by a parametric analysis. The antenna design exhibits a very wide operating bandwidth of 16.7 GHz with a return loss better than 10 dB in the frequency range from 4.46 GHz to 21.14 GHz. The gain of the proposed antenna is 6.3 dBi. This antenna configuration will be useful for UWB indoor application as it is easy to fabricate and integrate with RF circuitry. All simulations in this work were carried out by using the electromagnetic software CST.
2. Wu, C. K. and K. L. Wong, "Broadband microstrip antenna with directly coupled and gap-coupled parasitic patches," Mirow. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 22, No. 5, 348-349, Sep. 1999.
3. Huynh, T. and K. F. Lee, "Single-layer single-patch wideband microstrip antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 31, No. 16, 1310-1312, Aug. 1995.
4. Guo, Y. X., C. L. Mark, K. M. Luk, and K. F. Lee, "Analysis and design of L-probe proximity fed patch antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 49, No. 2, 145-149, Feb. 2001.
5. Wong, K. L. and Y. F. Lin, "Small broadband rectangular microstrip antenna with chip-resistor loading," Electron. Lett., Vol. 33, No. 19, 1593-1594, Sep. 1997.
6. Gonzalez de Aza, M. A., J. Zapata, and J. A. Encinar, "Broadband cavity-backed and capacitively probe-fed microstrip patch arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 48, No. 5, 784-789, May 2000.
7. Herscovici, N., "New considerations in the design of microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 46, No. 6, 807-812, Jun. 1998.
8. Agrawall, N. P., G. Kumar, and K. P. Ray, "Wide-band planar monopole antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 46, No. 2, 294-295, Feb. 1998.
9. Anob, P. V., K. P. Ray, and G. Kumar, "Wideband orthogonal square monopole antennas with semi-circular base," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Soc. Int. Symp., Vol. 3, 294-297, Jul. 2001.
10. Ammanna, M. J., "The pentagonal planar monopole for digital mobile terminals; bandwidth considerations and modelling," Int. Conf. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 1, 82-85, Apr. 2001.
11. Lee, E., P. S. Hall, and P. Gardner, "Compact wideband planar monopole antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 35, No. 25, 2157-2158, Dec. 1999.
12. Wong, K. L., Compact and Broadband Microstrip Antennas, 1st Ed., Chaps. 1, 2 and Chap. 4, 144-154, Wiley Ed., 2006.
13. Martinez-Vazquez, M., O. Litschke, M. Geissler, D. Heberling, M. Antonio, and D. Martinez-Gonzalez, "Integrated planar multiband antennas for personal communication handsets," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 2, 384-391, Feb. 2006.
14. Varadan, V. K., K. Vinoy, and K. Jose, RF MEMS and Their Applications, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, Chichester, UK, 2003.
15. Simons, R. N., Coplanar Waveguide Circuits, Components and Systems, Wiley-Interscience, 2001.
16. Azim, R., A. T. Mobashsher, M. T. Islam, and N. Misran, "Compact planar antenna for UWB applications," IEEE ICMMT, 1987-1990, 2010.
17. Cumhur Basaran, S., "Dual wideband CPW fed split ring monopole antenna for WLAN applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 978, No. 1, 174-177, 2010.
18. Yadav, R. K., J. Kishor, and R. L. Yadava, "Design of hexagonal patch antenna for mobile wireless system," IEEE IJSTM, Vol. 2, No. 4, 34-38, Dec. 2011.
19. Liang, X.-L., T. A. Denidni, L.-N. Zhang, R.-H. Jin, J.-P. Geng, and Q. Yu, "Printed binomial curved slot antennas for wideband applications," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, No. 4, 1058-1065, 2011.
20. Liang, X.-L., S.-S. Zhong, W. Wang, and F.-W. Yao, "Printed annular monopole antenna for ultra-wideband applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 42, No. 2, 71-72, 2006.
21. Zhong, S.-S., X.-L. Liang, F.-W. Yao, W. Wang, and X.-F. Bai, "Ultra-wideband printed antennas for communication applications," Journal of Shanghai University, Vol. 10, No. 1, 48-52, 2006.
22. Liang, X.-L., S.-S. Zhong, and W. Wang, "Tapered CPW-fed printed monopole antenna," Mirow. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 7, 1242-1244, 2006.
23. Kim, S. J., J. W. Baik, and Y. S. Kim, "Design of a UWB slot antenna with frequency bandnotched characteristic," Proc. of Inter. Symp. on Antennas and Propagation, ISAP 2006, 2006.
24. Ahmed, E. S., "A CPW-fed printed monopole ultra-wideband antenna with E-shaped notched band slot," Iraqi Society for Alternative and Renewable Energy Sources and Techniques, 2010.
25. Zamel, H. M., A. M. Attiya, and E. A. Hashish, "Design of a compact UWB planar antenna with band-notch characterization," Radio Science Conference, 1-8, Cairo, Egypt, 2007.
26. Chu, Q.-X. and Y.-Y. Yang, "A compact CPW-fed planar ultra-wideband antenna with a frequency notch characteristic," Proceedings of Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, Bangkok, Thailand, 2007.
27. Yoon, H., H. Kim, K. Chang, Y. J. Yoon, and Y.-H. Kim, "A study on the UWB antenna with band-rejection characteristic," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Soc. Int. Symp., Vol. 2, 1784-1787, Monterey, USA, 2004.
28. Hong, C.-Y., C.-W. Ling, and S.-J. Chung, "Design of a planar ultra wideband antenna with a new band-notch structure," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 12, 3391-3397, 2007.
29. Wu, S.-J., et al., "Study of an ultra-wideband monopole antenna with a band-notched open-looped resonator," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 6, 1890-1897, 2010.
30. Qiu, C., et al., "Hybrid shaped band-notched ultra-wideband patch antenna," Proc. of Inter. Symp. on Antennas and Propagation, ISAP 2007, Niigata, Japan, 2007.