In this paper, flux of permanent magnet tubular linear generator (PMTLG) is modeled and analyzed. With the model, air-gap leakage flux coefficient can be expressed analytically in terms of permanent magnet dimensions and air-gap width. The validity of analytical expression of air-gap leakage flux coefficient is verified by finite element analysis (FEA) with a maximum error of 6.8%. Furthermore, longitudinal end flux's influence on the detent force of PMTLG is analyzed in detail with the model. A detent force minimization technique is deduced from the analysis results, and confirmed by FEA. Finally, after optimization of air-gap leakage flux coefficient and detent force, a PMTLG is built and experimented.
2. Leijon, M, H. Bernhoff, O. Agren, J. Isberg, J., Sundberg, M. Berg, K. E. Karlsson, and A. Wolfbrandt, "Multiphysics simulation of wave energy to electric energy conversion by permanent magnet linear generator," IEEE Trans. Energy Conversion, Vol. 20, No. 1, 219-224, 2005.
3. Danielsson, O. and M. Leijon, "Flux distribution in linear permanent-magnet synchronous machines including longitudinal end effects," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 43, No. 7, 3197-3201, 2007.
4. Wang, J., D. Howe, and G. W. Jewell, "Fringing in tubular permanent magnet machines: Part I. Magnetic field distribution, flux linkage, and thrust force," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 39, No. 6, 3507-3516, 2003.
5. Tsai, W. and T. Chang, "Analysis of flux leakage in a brushless permanent-magnet motor with embedded magnets," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 35, No. 1, 543-547, 1999.
6. Hanselman, D. C., Brushless Permanent-magnet Motor Design, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1994.
7. Qu, R. and T. A. Lipo, "Dual-rotor, radial-flux, toroidally-wound, permanent-magnet machines," Conf. Rec., IEEE-IAS Annul. Meeting, Vol. 2, 1281-1288, 2002.
8. Faiz, J. and M. E. Salari, "Comparison of the performance of two direct wave energy conversion systems: Archimedes wave swing and power buoy," J. Marine. Sci. Appl., Vol. 10, 421-428, 2011.
9. Wang, J., M. Inoue, Y. Amara, and D. Howe, "Cogging-force-reduction techniques for linear permanent-magnet machines," IEE Proc. --- Electr. Power Appl., Vol. 152, No. 3, 731-738, 2005.
10. Lee, J., H. W. Lee, Y. D., Chun, M. Sunwoo, and J. P. Hong, "The performance prediction of controlled-PMLSM in various design schemes by FEM," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 36, No. 4, 1902-1905, 2000.
11. Ahmad, M. E., H. W. Lee, and M. Nakaoka, "Detent force reduction of a tubular linear generator using an axial stepped permanent magnet structure," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 6, No. 4, 290-296, 2006.
12. Bianchi, N., S. Bolognani, and A. D. F. Cappello, "Reduction of cogging force in PM linear motors by pole-shifting," IEE Proc. --- Electr. Power Appl., Vol. 152, No. 3, 703-709, 2005.
13. Ji, J., J. Zhao, W. Zhao, Z. Fang, G. Liu, and Y. Du, "New high force density tubular permanent-magnet motor," IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercon, Vol. 24, No. 3, 5200705, 2014.
14. Ji, J., S. Yan, W. Zhao, G. Liu, and X. Zhu, "Minimization of cogging force in a novel linear permanent-magnet motor for artificial hearts," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 49, No. 7, 3901-3904, 2013.