A miniaturized Gysel power divider/combiner(PDC) based on planar artiﬁcial transmission line (ATL) is presented in this paper. This planar ATL is composed of microstrip quasi-lumped elements and their discontinuities, and the ATL is capable of synthesizing microstrip line with various characteristic impedances and electrical lengths. For demonstration, the simulated and experimental results of the proposed PDC @1 GHz implemented on microstrip are given. Experimental results of the designed PDC agree well with the theoretical predictions. The proposed Gysel PDC circuit not only demonstrates low insertion loss at the fundamental frequency with compact size and high frequency suppression features, but also maintains Gysel PDC's high power-handling advantage. The occupied sizes of the proposed Gysel PDC are merely about 40% of the conventional Gysel PDC.
2. Wilkinson, E. J., "An N-way hybrid power divider," IRE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 8, 116-118, 1960.
3. Ardemagni, F., "An optimized L-band eight-way Gysel power divider-combiner," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 31, 491-495, 1983.
4. Fartookzadeh, M., S. H. Mohseni Armaki, and M. Kazerooni, "A novel 180o hybrid based on the modfied Gysel power divider," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 27, 209-222, 2012.
5. Guan, J., L. Zhang, Z. Sun, Y. Leng, Y. Peng, and Y. Yan, "Modified Gysel power divider with harmonic suppression performance," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 31, 255-269, 2012.
6. Guan, J., et al., "Designing power divider by combining Wilkinson and Gysel structure," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 13, 769-770, 2012.
7. Zhang, H., X.-W. Shi, F. Wei, and L. Xu, "Compact wideband Gysel power divider with arbitrary power division based on patch type structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 395-406, 2011.
8. Wu, Y., Y. Liu, and S. Li, "An unequal dual-frequency Wilkinson power divider with optional isolation structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 91, 393-411, 2009.
9. Deng, P.-H., J.-H. Guo, and W.-C. Kuo, "New Wilkinson power dividers based on compact stepped-impedance transmission lines and shunt open stubs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 407-426, 2012.
10. Li, B., X. Wu, N. Yang, and W. Wu, "Dual-band equal/unequal Wilkinson power dividers based on coupled-line section with short-circuited stub," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 163-178, 2011.
11. Sun, Z., L. Zhang, Y. Yan, and H. Yang, "Design of unequal dual-band Gysel power divider with arbitrary termination resistance," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, No. 8, 1955-1962, 2011.
12. Toyoda, I., T. Hirota, T. Hiraoka, and T. Tokumitsu, "Multilayer MMIC branch-line coupler and broad-side coupler," Microw. Millimeter-Wave Monolithic Circuits Symp. Dig., 79-82, Albuquerque, NM, Jun. 1-3, 1992.
13. Scardelletti, M.-C., G.-E. Ponchak, and T.-M. Weller, "Miniaturized Wilkinson power dividers utilizing capacitive loading," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 12, No. 1, 6-8, Jan. 2002.
14. Lu, L.-H., P. Bhattacharya, L.-P. B. Katehi, and G.-E. Ponchak, "X-band and K-band lumped Wilkinson power dividers with a micromachined technology," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., Vol. 1, 287-290, Boston, MA, Jun. 11-16, 2000.
15. Shamaileh, K. A. A., A. M. Qaroot, and N. I. Dib, "Non-uniform transmission line transformers and their application in the design of compact multi-band Bagley power dividers with harmonics suppression," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 269-284, 2011.
16. Woo, D.-J. and T.-K. Lee, "Suppression of harmonics in Wilkinson power divider using dual-band rejection by asymmetric DGS," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, 2139-2144, 2005.
17. Lin, C.-M., H.-H. Su, J.-C. Chiu, and Y.-H. Wang, "Wilkinson power divider using microstrip EBG cells for the suppression of harmonics," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, 700-702, 2007.
18. Yang, F.-R., K.-P. Ma, Y. Qian, and T. I. Itoh, "A uniplanar compact photonic-bandgap (UC-PBG) structure and its applications for microwave circuits," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 8, 1509-1514, Aug. 1999.
19. Ko, Y.-J., J.-Y. Park, and J.-U. Bu, "Fully integrated unequal Wilkinson power divider with EBG CPW," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 13, No. 7, 276-278, Jul. 2003.
20. Yi, K.-H. and B. Kang, "Modified Wilkinson power divider for nth harmonic suppression," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 13, 178-180, 2003.
21. Cheng, K. K. M. and W.-C. Ip, "A novel power divider design with enhanced spurious suppression and simple structure," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, No. 12, 3903-3908, 2010.
22. Mondal, P. and A. Chakrabarty, "Design of miniaturised branch-line and rat-race hybrid couplers with harmonics suppression," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 3, No. 1, 109-116, 2009.
23. Mondal, P. and A. Chakrabarty, "Harmonic suppression and size reduction of planar rat-race hybrid couplers," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, APMC 2006, 671-673, 2006.
24. Srisathit, K., P. Jadpum, and W. Surakampontorn, "Miniature Wilkinson divider and hybrid, coupler with harmonic suppression, using T-shaped transmission line," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, APMC 2007, 1-4, 2007.
25. Velidi, V. K. and A. Bhattacharya, "A stub tapped compact hybrid coupler with broad-band harmonic rejection," 2008 IEEE Region 10 Conference, TENCON 2008, 1-5, 2008.
26. Wang, C.-W., et al., "A new planar artificial transmission line and its applications to a miniaturized butler matrix," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 12, 2792-2801, 2007.
27. Fang, S., et al., "miniaturized dual-frequency Wilkinson power divider using planar artificial transmission lines," 2010 International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), 1588-1590, 2010.
28. Wang, C.-W., et al., "A miniaturized Wilkinson power divider with harmonic suppression characteristics using planar artificial transmission lines," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, APMC 2007, 1-4, 2007.
29. Yang, X., et al., "Empirical formulas of the effective lumped parameters for planar artificial transmission lines," Chinese Journal of Radio Science, Vol. 27, No. 4, 2011.
30. Fang, S.-B., et al., "Analysis and design of planar artificial transmission line," Communications Technology, Vol. 42, No. 09, 2010.
31. Lin, F., et al., "Compact broadband Gysel power divider with arbitrary power-dividing ratio using microstrip/slotline phase inverter," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 60, No. 5, 1226-1234, 2012.