A novel dual-layer ultra-wideband lotus-wearable antenna is presented in this paper for integration on astronaut's flight jacket to monitor the vital signs of astronauts. The proposed antenna is designed and fabricated on a leather material as a substrate to operate over a frequency band (2-12 GHz). The dielectric constant εr = 1.79 and loss tangent tanδ = 0.042 of the leather material are measured by using two different methods. The proposed antenna has three-strip lines in the 2nd layer for performance enhancement. The stretching effect of the proposed antenna on its impedance characteristics is studied. Furthermore, SAR calculations are performed on-body environments to ensure that operated properly in the nearness of the human body. Finally, the proposed design is simulated by CST simulator version 2016, fabricated using folded copper and measured by Agilent8719ES VNA. The measured results agree well with the simulated ones.
2. Acharya, I. and A. S. Chauhan, "Detailed analysis of a novel fractal monopole antenna for UWB applications with notches for WLAN rejection using two different approaches," International Journal on Communication Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 7, No. 3, 233, 2017.
3. Bandi, S., A. Sudhakar, and K. P. Raju, "A microstrip rectangle carpet shaped fractal antenna for UWB applications," International Journal on Communication Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 6, No. 2, 111, 2016.
4. Dumanli, S., L. Sayer, E. Mellios, X. Fafoutis, G. Hilton, and I. Craddock, "Off-body antenna wireless performance evaluation in a residential environment," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 11, 6076-6084, November 2017.
5. Ahmed, M. I., M. F. Ahmed, and A. A. Shaalan, "CPW ring wearable antenna on leather material for BAN applications," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and USNC-URSI Radio Science Meeting, San Diego, California, USA, July 2017.
6. Jiang, Z. H., M. D. Gregory, and D. H. Werner, "Design and experimental investigation of a compact circularly polarized integrated filtering antenna for wearable biotelemetric devices," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Circuits and Systems, Vol. 10, No. 2, 328-338, April 2016.
7. Salvado, R., C. Loss, R. Gon¸calves, and P. Pinho, "Textile materials for the design of wearable antennas: A survey," Sensors, Vol. 12, No. 11, 15841, 2012.
8. Al Amin, A., M. S. Islam, M. A. Masud, N. H. Khan, J. W. A. Zavala, and M. M. U. Islam, "Design and performance analysis of 3.4 GHz rectangular microstrip patch antenna for wireless communication systems," International Journal on Communication Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 7, No. 1, 2017.
9. Salonen, P., Y. Rahmat-Samii, M. Schafhth, and M. Kivikoski, "Effect of textile materials on wearable antenna performance: A case study of GPS antennas," Antennas & Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 1, 459-462, 2004.
10. Kiourti, A., C. Lee, and J. L. Volakis, "Fabrication of textile antennas and circuits with 0.1 mm precision," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 151-153, 2015.
11. Dey, S. and N. Saha, "Narrow band and UWB wearable antennas: Design and assessment of the conformal characteristics in terms of impedance matching and radiation properties," International Journal on Communication Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 3, No. 1, 42-50, 2013.
12. Ahmed, M. I., E. A. Abdallah, and H. M. Elhennawy, "SAR investigation of novel wearable reduced-coupling microstrip antenna array," International Journal of Engineering and Technology-IJENS, Vol. 15, No. 3, 78-87, June 2015.
13. Ahmed, M. I., M. F. Ahmed, and A. A. Shaalan, "SAR calculations of novel wearable fractal antenna on metamaterial cell for search and rescue applications," Progress In Electromagnetic Research M, Vol. 53, 99-110, 2017.
14. Mahmud, M. S., F. J. J. Jabri, and B. Mahjabeen, "Compact UWB wearable antenna on leather material for wireless applications," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and USNC-URSI Radio Science Meeting, Vol. 9, No. 6, 2191-2192, Orlando, FL, USA, July 2013.
15. Hopkins, R. and C. Free, "Equivalent circuit for the microstrip ring resonator suitable for broadband materials characterization," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 2, No. 1, 66-73, February 2008.
16. Ahmed, M. I., M. F. Ahmed, and A. A. Shaalan, "Investigation and comparsion of wearable bluetooth antennas on different textile substrates," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and USNC-URSI Radio Science Meeting, 2633-2634, San Diego, California, USA, July 2017.
17. Rashidian, A., M. T. Aligodarz, and D. M. Klymyshyn, "Dielectric characterization of materials using a modified microstrip ring resonator technique," IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 19, No. 4, 1392-1399, August 2012.
18. Chew, W. C., "A broad-band annular-ring microstrip antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 30, No. 5, 918-922, September 1982.
19. Pozar, D. M., Electromagnetic Theory in Microwave Engineering, 3rd Ed., 2005.
20., , https://www.speag.com/products/dak/dielectric measurements/.
21. CST MICROWAVE STUDIO®, help, , http://www.cst.com.
22., , http://human.space.edu/projects/NDX-2.htm.
23. Haagenson, T., S. Noghanian, P. d. Leon, and Y. Chang, "Textile antenna for space suit applications," IEEE Antenna and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 15, 2015.
24. Leon, P. D., G. L. Harris, and A. M. Wargetz, "Design, construction, and implementation of an inflatable lunar habitat base with pressurized rover and suit ports," International Conference on Environmental Systems, Vail, Colorado, 2013.
25. Gaier, J. R., "Abrasion of candidate spacesuit fabrics by simulated lunar dust," International Conference on Environmental Systems, 2009.