In this paper, the performance of relay selection in an energy harvesting aided mixed radio frequency (RF)/free space optical (FSO) system with transmit antenna selection (TAS) over atmospheric turbulence and pointing error is presented. The source of multiple antennas employs TAS to send information to the destination via multiple relay nodes. Also, the energy-limited source uses selection combining technique to harvest energy from multiple relay nodes. As a result, all the relay nodes act as a wireless power transmitting node as well as data receiving node. Moreover, it assumes that the RF/FSO links follow Rayleigh/Malaga (M) distributions with non-zero boresight (NB) pointing error on the FSO link. Therefore, the system outage probability closed-form expression is then derived which is utilized to obtain the system throughput. In addition, the results demonstrate the significant effect of atmospheric turbulence and NB pointing error on the system performance with multiple relays, and source transmit antenna offers the system better performance. The accuracy of the derived expressions is thus validated through Monte Carlo simulations.
2. Sharma, N., A. Bansal, and P. Garg, "Relay selection in mixed RF/FSO system using DF relaying," Photonic Network Communications, Vol. 33, No. 2, 143-151, 2017.
3. Odeyemi, K. O. and P. A. Owolawi, "Selection combining hybrid FSO/RF systems over generalized induced-fading channels," International Journal of Communication Systems, Vol. 433, 159-167, 2019.
4. El-Malek, A. H. A., M. A. Aboulhassan, A.M. Salhab, and S. A. Zummo, "Performance analysis and power optimization for spectrum-sharing mixed RF/FSO relay networks with energy harvesting," IEEE Photonics Journal, Vol. 11, No. 2, 1-17, 2019.
5. Zedini, E., I. S. Ansari, and M.-S. Alouini, "Performance analysis of mixed Nakagami-m and Gamma-Gamma dual-hop FSO transmission systems," IEEE Photonics Journal, Vol. 7, No. 1, 1-20, 2014.
6. Anees, S. and M. R. Bhatnagar, "Performance evaluation of decode-and-forward dual-hop asymmetric radio frequency-free space optical communication system," IET Optoelectronics, Vol. 9, No. 5, 232-240, 2015.
7. Trigui, I., N. Cherif, and S. Affes, "Relay-assisted mixed FSO/RF systems over Málaga-M and k-μ shadowed fading channels," IEEE Wireless Communications Letters, Vol. 6, No. 5, 682-685, 2017.
8. Soleimani-Nasab, E. and M. Uysal, "Generalized performance analysis of mixed RF/FSO cooperative systems," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 15, No. 1, 714-727, 2015.
9. Petkovic, M. I., A. M. Cvetkovic, G. T. Djordjevic, and G. K. Karagiannidis, "Partial relay selection with outdated channel state estimation in mixed RF/FSO systems," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 33, No. 13, 2860-2867, 2015.
10. Odeyemi, K. O. and P. A. Owolawi, "Security outage performance of partial relay selection in AF mixed RF/FSO system with outdated channel state information," Transactions on Emerging Telecommunications Technologies, Vol. 30, No. 7, e3555, 2019.
11. Chatzidiamantis, N. D., D. S. Michalopoulos, E. E. Kriezis, G. K. Karagiannidis, and R. Schober, "Relay selection protocols for relay-assisted free-space optical systems," IEEE/OSA Journal of Optical Communications Networking, Vol. 5, No. 1, 92-103, 2013.
12. Sharma, N., A. Bansal, and P. Garg, "Relay selection in mixed RF/FSO system over generalized channel fading," Transactions on Emerging Telecommunications Technologies, Vol. 28, No. 4, e3010, 2017.
13. Odeyemi, K. O. and P. A. Owolawi, "Partial relay selection in mixed RF/FSO dual-hop system over unified M-distributed fading channel with non-zero boresight pointing errors ," Optical Quantum Electronics, Vol. 51, No. 5, 141, 2019.
14. Dong, Y., M. J. Hossain, and J. Cheng, "Performance of wireless powered amplify and forward relaying over Nakagami-m fading channels with nonlinear energy harvester," IEEE Communications Letters, Vol. 20, No. 4, 672-675, 2016.
15. Le, Q. N., D. T. Do, and B. An, "Secure wireless powered relaying networks: Energy harvesting policies and performance analysis," International Journal of Communication Systems, Vol. 30, No. 18, e3369, 2017.
16. Makki, B., T. Svensson, K. Buisman, J. Perez, and M.-S. J. I. W. C. L. Alouini, "Wireless energy and information transmission in FSO and RF-FSO links," IEEE Wireless Communications Letters, Vol. 7, No. 1, 90-93, 2017.
17. Rakia, T., H.-C. Yang, F. Gebali, and M.-S. Alouini, "Optimal design of dual-hop VLC/RF communication system with energy harvesting," IEEE Communications Letters, Vol. 20, No. 10, 1979-1982, 2016.
18. Asgari-Forooshani, A., M. Aghabozorgi, E. Soleimani-Nasab, and M. A. Khalighi, "Performance analysis of mixed RF/FSO cooperative systems with wireless power transfer," Physical Communication, Vol. 33, 187-198, 2019.
19. Badarneh, O. S., F. S. Almehmadi, I. S. Ansari, and X. Yang, "Wireless energy harvesting in cooperative decode-and-forward relaying networks over mixed generalized η-μ and κ-μ fading channels," Transactions on Emerging Telecommunications Technologies, Vol. 29, No. 2, e3262, 2018.
20. Bao, V. N. Q. and N. T. Van, "Incremental relaying networks with energy harvesting relay selection: Performance analysis," Transactions on Emerging Telecommunications Technologies, Vol. 29, No. 12, e3483, 2018.
21. Bilim, M., N. Kapucu, and I. Develi, "Application of best relay selection approach to cooperative DF IDMA systems over Rayleigh/Weibull fading channels," International Journal of Communication Systems, Vol. 31, No. 5, e3506, 2018.
22. Yang, H.-C. and M.-S. Alouini, Order Statistics in Wireless Communications: Diversity, Adaptation, and Scheduling in MIMO and OFDM Systems, Cambridge University Press, 2011.
23. Gradshteyn, I. S. and I. M. Ryzhik, Table of Integrals, Series, and Products, Academic press, 2014.
24. Yang, N., P. L. Yeoh, M. Elkashlan, R. Schober, and I. B. Collings, "Transmit antenna selection for security enhancement in MIMO wiretap channels," IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 61, No. 1, 144-154, 2012.
25. Ansari, I. S., F. Yilmaz, and M.-S. Alouini, "Performance analysis of free-space optical links over Málaga (M) turbulence channels with pointing errors," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 15, No. 1, 91-102, 2015.
26. Odeyemi, K. O. and P. A. Owolawi, "Impact of transmission techniques in asymmetric RF/FSO system over Nakagami-m and gamma-gamma fading channels with pointing errors," International Journal of Communication Systems, Vol. 32, No. 3, e3873, 2019.
27. Wang, P., R. Wang, L. Guo, T. Cao, and Y. Yang, "On the performances of relay-aided FSO system over M distribution with pointing errors in presence of various weather conditions," Optics Communications, Vol. 367, 59-67, 2016.
28. Nasir, A. A., X. Zhou, S. Durrani, and R. A. Kennedy, "Relaying protocols for wireless energy harvesting and information processing," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 12, No. 7, 3622-3636, 2013.
29. Trinh, P. V., T. C. Thang, and A. T. Pham, "Mixed mmWave RF/FSO relaying systems over generalized fading channels with pointing errors," IEEE Photonics Journal, Vol. 9, No. 1, 1-14, 2016.
30. Boluda-Ruiz, R. A., García-Zambrana, C. Castillo-Vázquez, and B. Castillo-Vázquez, "Novel approximation of misalignment fading modeled by Beckmann distribution on free-space optical links," Optics Express, Vol. 24, No. 20, 22635-22649, 2016.