A multiband electromagnetic band gap (EBG) structure is designed and implemented with a multiband MIMO antenna for mutual coupling reduction. An area of 16 × 16 mm2 on a low cost FR4 substrate is used for the proposed EBG design. The designed E-coupled slotted U-shape MIMO antenna resonates at 5.7 GHz, 7.5 GHz and 10 GHz frequencies. Edge to edge separation between the two antennas is kept as 6 mm. EBG structure is placed in the ground plane between two antennas that enable us to keep separation of antennas less than the size of the EBG. Mutual coupling gets reduced by 6.6 dB for 5.7 GHz, 4 dB for 7.5 GHz and 6.95 dB for 10 GHz. Simulated radiation properties of MIMO antenna are verified by measured results, and surface current distribution of MIMO antenna surface also verifies the mutual coupling reduction. Envelope correlation coefficient < 0.01 and channel capacity loss < 0.2 are achieved at resonating frequencies.
2. Babu, K. V. and B. Anuradha, "Analysis of multi-band circle MIMO antenna design for C-band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 91, 185-196, 2019.
3. Luo, C.-M., J.-S. Hong, and M. Amin, "Mutual coupling reduction for dual-band MIMO antenna with simple structure," Radioengineering, Vol. 26, No. 1, 51-56, 2017.
4. Han, M. and J. Choi, "Multiband MIMO antenna using orthogonally polarized dipole elements for mobile communications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 53, No. 9, 2043-2048, 2011.
5. Aw, M., et al., "A compact two element MIMO antenna with improved isolation for wireless applications," Journal of Instrumentation, Vol. 14, No. 6, P06014, 2019.
6. Pouyanfar, N., C. Ghobadi, J. Nourinia, K. Pedram, and M. Majidzadeh, "A compact multi-band MIMO antenna with high isolation for C and X bands using defected ground structure," Radioengineering, Vol. 27, No. 3, 686-693, 2018.
7. Kumar, A., A. Q. Ansari, B. K. Kanaujia, and J. Kishor, "High isolation compact four-port MIMO antenna loaded with CSRR for multiband applications," Frequenz, Vol. 72, No. 9-10, 415-427, 2018.
8. Rao, P. S., K. J. Babu, and A. M. Prasad, "Compact multi-band MIMO antenna with improved isolation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 62, 199-210, 2017.
9. Kumar, N. and K. U. Kiran, "Meander-line electromagnetic bandgap structure for UWB MIMO antenna mutual coupling reduction in E-plane," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 127, 153423, 2020.
10. Wani, J., P. Camacho, R. S. Malfajani, and M. S. Sharawi, "Design and fabrication of a multi-band 2 element MIMO antenna for sub-6 GHz applications," 2021 IEEE Indian Conference on Antennas and Propagation (InCAP), 198-200, 2021.
11. Shiddanagouda, F., N. Kumar, R. Vani, and P. Hunagund, "Two element multi-band MIMO antenna for WIFI/5G/WLAN band applications," 2021 IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques in Wireless Communications (MTTW), 102-106, 2021.
12. Saleem, R., M. Bilal, H. T. Chattha, S. Ur Rehman, A. Mushtaq, and M. F. Shafique, "An FSS based multiband MIMO system incorporating 3d antennas for WLAN/WIMAX/5G cellular and 5G WI-FI applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 144732-144740, 2019.
13. Das, G., A. Sharma, R. K. Gangwar, and M. S. Sharawi, "Performance improvement of multiband MIMO dielectric resonator antenna system with a partially reflecting surface," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 10, 2105-2109, 2019.
14. Zhang, B., J. M. Jornet, I. F. Akyildiz, and Z. P. Wu, "Mutual coupling reduction for ultra-dense multi-band plasmonic nano-antenna arrays using graphene-based frequency selective surface," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 33214-33225, 2019.
15. Zhao, X. and S. Riaz, "A dual-band frequency reconfigurable MIMO patch-slot antenna based on reconfigurable microstrip feedline," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 41450-41457, 2018.
16. Jaglan, N., S. D. Gupta, B. K. Kanaujia, and M. S. Sharawi, "10 element sub-6-GHz multi-band double-T based MIMO antenna system for 5G smartphones," IEEE Access, Vol. 9, 18662-18672, 2021.
17. Kumar, N. and U. K. Kommuri, "MIMO antenna mutual coupling reduction for WLAN using spiro meander line UC-EBG," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 80, 65-77, 2018.
18. Kumar, N. and U. K. Kommuri, "MIMO antenna H-plane isolation enhancement using UC-EBG structure and metal line strip for WLAN applications," Radio Engineering, Vol. 29, No. 2, 399-406, 2019.