A study is made of the guiding properties of a nerve fiber consisting of myelinated axons as applied to electromagnetic waves in the optical and infrared ranges. Based on rigorous expressions for the electromagnetic field in the presence of a nerve fiber, the dispersion properties and field structures of eigenmodes guided by the fiber are analyzed for different values of the dielectric permittivity of myelin. It is shown that such a complex waveguide of natural origin can support the propagation of weakly attenuated eigenmodes in the considered ranges. It is shown that the dispersion properties and field structures of the modes of the nerve fiber can differ significantly from those of a single axon.
2. Song, E., J. Li, S. M. Won, W. Bai, and J. A. Rogers, "Materials for flexible bioelectronic systems as chronic neural interfaces," Nature Mater., Vol. 19, No. 6, 590-603, 2020.
3. Ayton, L. N., N. Barnes, G. Dagnelie, T. Fujikado, G. Goetz, R. Hornig, B. W. Jones, M. M. Muqit, D. L. Rathbun, K. Stingl, J. D. Weiland, and M. A. Petoe, "An update on retinal prostheses," Clinical Neurophysiol., Vol. 131, No. 6, 1383-1398, 2020.
4. Plaksin, M., E. Kimmel, and S. Shoham, "Cell-type-selective effects of intramembrane cavitation as a unifying theoretical framework for ultrasonic neuromodulation," eNeuro, Vol. 3, No. 3, e0136-15.2016, 2016.
5. Basser, P. J. and B. J. Roth, "Stimulation of a myelinated nerve axon by electromagnetic induction," Med. Biol. Eng. Comput., Vol. 29, No. 3, 261-268, 1991.
6. Fork, R. L., "Laser stimulation of nerve cells in aplysia," Science, Vol. 171, No. 3974, 907-908, 1971.
7. Abaya, T., S. Blair, P. Tathireddy, L. Rieth, and F. Solzbacher, "A 3D glass optrode array for optical neural stimulation," Biomed. Opt. Express, Vol. 3, No. 12, 3087-3104, 2012.
8. Ford, J. B., M. W. Jenkins, H. J. Chiel, and E. D. Jansen, "Reducing peak temperatures during infrared inhibition of neural potentials," Optogenetics and Optical Manipulation, Proc. SPIE, Vol. 10052, 28-34, 2017.
9. Shapiro, M. G., K. Homma, S. Villarreal, C.-P. Richter, and F. Bezanilla, "Infrared light excites cells by changing their electrical capacitance," Nature Commun., Vol. 3, No. 1, 736-746, 2012.
10. Angotzi, G. N., F. Boi, A. Lecomte, E. Miele, M. Malerba, S. Zucca, A. Casile, and L. Berdondini, "SiNAPS: An implantable active pixel sensor CMOS-probe for simultaneous large-scale neural recordings," Biosensors Bioelectron., Vol. 126, 355-364, 2019.
11. Leonard, J. T., D. A. Cohen, B. P. Yonkee, R. M. Farrell, T. Margalith, S. Lee, S. P. DenBaars, J. S. Speck, and S. Nakamura, "Nonpolar III-nitride vertical-cavity surface-emitting lasers incorporating an ion implanted aperture," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 107, No. 1, 011102, 2015.
12. Marblestone, A. H., B. M. Zamft, Y. G. Maguire, M. G. Shapiro, T. R. Cybulski, J. I. Glaser, D. Amodei, P. B. Stranges, R. Kalhor, D. A. Dalrymple, D. Seo, E. Alon, M. M. Maharbiz, J. M. Carmena, J. M. Rabaey, E. S. Boyden, G. M. Church, and K. P. Kording, "Physical principles for scalable neural recording," Frontiers Comput. Neurosci., Vol. 7, 137, 2013.
13. Zhou, R., Z. Mou, D. Yang, and X. Wang, "Theoretical simulation of the selective stimulation of axons in different areas of a nerve bundle by multichannel near-infrared lasers," Med. Biol. Eng. Comput., Vol. 60, No. 1, 205-220, 2022.
14. Chernov, M. M., R. M. Friedman, and A. W. Roe, "Fiberoptic array for multiple channel infrared neural stimulation of the brain," Neurophotonics, Vol. 8, No. 2, 025005, 2021.
15. Zhu, X., J.-W. Lin, A. Turnali, and M. Y. Sander, "Single infrared light pulses induce excitatory and inhibitory neuromodulation," Biomed. Opt. Express, Vol. 13, No. 1, 374-388, 2022.
16. Es'kin, V. A., A. V. Kudrin, and A. A. Popova, "Excitation of an electromagnetic field in a compact nerve fiber by a system of filamentary electric currents," Radiophys. Quantum Electron., Vol. 62, No. 1, 65-76, 2019.
17. Es'kin, V. A., A. V. Kudrin, and A. A. Popova, "Excitation of an electromagnetic field in a large nerve fiber by an array of electric-dipole filaments," 2020 XXXIIIrd General Assembly and Scientific Symposium of the International Union of Radio Science, 1-4, Rome, Italy, August 29-September 5, 2020.
18. Kumar, S., K. Boone, J. Tuszynski, P. Barclay, and C. Simon, "Possible existence of optical communication channels in the brain," Sci. Rep., Vol. 6, 36508, 2016.
19. Zangari, A., D. Micheli, R. Galeazzi, and A. Tozzi, "Node of Ranvier as an array of bio-nanoantennas for infrared communication in nerve tissue," Sci. Rep., Vol. 8, 539, 2018.
20. Liu, G., C. Chang, Z. Qiao, K. Wu, Z. Zhu, G. Cui, W. Peng, Y. Tang, J. Li, and C. Fan, "Myelin sheath as a dielectric waveguide for signal propagation in the mid-infrared to terahertz spectral range," Adv. Funct. Mater., Vol. 29, No. 7, 1807862, 2019.
21. Maghoul, A., A. Khaleghi, and I. Balasingham, "Engineering photonic transmission inside brain nerve fibers," IEEE Access, Vol. 9, 35399-35410, 2021.
22. Xiang, Z., C. Tang, C. Chang, and G. Liu, "A primary model of THz and far-infrared signal generation and conduction in neuron systems based on the hypothesis of the ordered phase of water molecules on the neuron surface I: Signal characteristics," Sci. Bull., Vol. 65, No. 4, 308-317, 2020.
23. Xiang, Z., C. Tang, C. Chang, and G. Liu, "A new viewpoint and model of neural signal generation and transmission: Signal transmission on unmyelinated neurons," Nano Res., Vol. 14, No. 3, 590-600, 2021.
24. Segelstein, D. J., The complex refractive index of water, M.Sc. thesis, University of Missouri, 1981.
25. Min, Y., K. Kristiansen, J. M. Boggs, C. Husted, J. A. Zasadzinski, and J. Israelachvili, "Interaction forces and adhesion of supported myelin lipid bilayers modulated by myelin basic protein," Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, Vol. 106, No. 9, 3154-3159, 2009.
26. Bioud, F.-Z., P. Gasecka, P. Ferrand, H. Rigneault, J. Duboisset, and S. Brasselet, "Structure of molecular packing probed by polarization-resolved nonlinear four-wave mixing and coherent anti-Stokes Raman-scattering microscopy," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 89, No. 1, 013836, 2014.
27. Abramowitz, M. and I. A. Stegun, Handbook of Mathematical Functions, with Formulas, Graphs, and Mathematical Tables, Dover, Mineola, 1974.
28. Yasumoto, K., Electromagnetic Theory and Applications for Photonic Crystals, Taylor and Francis, Boca Raton, 2006.
29. Vendromin, C. and M. M. Dignam, "Simple way to incorporate loss when modeling multimode-entangled-state generation," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 105, No. 6, 063707, 2022.
30. Kocharovsky, V. V., C. B. Reynolds, and Vl. V. Kocharovsky, "Eigenmodes of a lamellar optical grating: Profile, propagation, reflection, transmission, and nonadiabatic mode coupling," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 100, No. 5, 053854, 2019.
31. Ostafiychuk, O. M., V. A. Es'kin, A. V. Kudrin, and A. A. Popova, "Electromagnetic waves guided by a myelinated axon in the optical and infrared ranges," 2019 Photonics & Electromagnetics Research Symposium --- Spring (PIERS --- Spring), 1180-1184, Rome, Italy, June 17-20, 2019.