In the present study, a broad negative refractive index (NRI) performance is achieved in the terahertz frequency range (0.6-0.9 THz) through the design of multi-layered fishnet metamaterial (FMM). Herein, the conventional fishnet structure is modified by smoothing the sharp corners to reduce the electric field concentration and improve NRI. At corner radius, r = 30 µm, an effective refractive index of -11.14 is achieved with lower electric field concentration at the corners. A multilayer structure of up to 40 layers is studied to achieve a broad NRI frequency response. The frequency band of NRI response is improved from 0.034 THz for a single layer structure to 0.178 THz for 28 layers structure, almost 6 times the original bandwidth. With the increase in the number of layers, improvement in NRI and Figure of Merit (FOM) is observed, and maximum NRI and FOM values of -87.5 and 12.67 are achieved at 28 layers. This multilayer broadband design can surpass tunable response of available electro-optic materials. With an optimal combination of NRI and FOM, the presented multilayer approach can achieve a low-loss, broadband performance.
2. Parimi, P. V., W. T. Lu, P. Vodo, and S. Sridhar, "Imaging by at lens using negative refraction," Nature, Vol. 426, No. 6965, 404-404, 2003.
3. Cai, W., U. K. Chettiar, A. V. Kildishev, and V. M. Shalaev, "Optical cloaking with metamaterials," Nature Photonics, Vol. 1, No. 4, 224-227, 2007.
4. Atre, A. C., A. Garcia-Etxarri, H. Alaeian, and J. A. Dionne, "A broadband negative index metamaterial at optical frequencies," Advanced Optical Materials, Vol. 1, No. 4, 327-333, 2013.
5. Bang, S., S. So, and J. Rho, "Realization of broadband negative refraction in visible range using vertically stacked hyperbolic metamaterials," Scientific Reports, Vol. 9, No. 1, 14093, 2019.
6. Garcia-Meca, C., J. Hurtado, J. Marti, A. Martinez, W. Dickson, and A. V. Zayats, "Low-loss multilayered metamaterial exhibiting a negative index of refraction at visible wavelengths," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 106, No. 6, 067402, 2011.
7. Ling, F., Z. Zhong, R. Huang, and B. Zhang, "A broadband tunable terahertz negative refractive index metamaterial," Scientific Reports, Vol. 8, No. 1, 9843, 2018.
8. Ling, F., Z. Zhong, Y. Zhang, R. Huang, and B. Zhang, "Broadband negative-refractive index terahertz metamaterial with optically tunable equivalent-energy level," Optics Express, Vol. 26, No. 23, 30085-30099, 2018.
9. Nguyen, H. T., T. S. Bui, S. Yan, G. A. E. Vandenbosch, P. Lievens, L. D. Vu, and E. Janssens, "Broadband negative refractive index obtained by plasmonic hybridization in metamaterials," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 109, No. 22, 221902, 2016.
10. Rasad, A., H. T. Yudistira, F. Qalbina, A. G. Saputro, and A. Faisal, "Multilayer flexible metamaterials based on circular shape with negative refractive index at microwave spectrum," Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Vol. 332, 113208, 2021.
11. Zhu, C., C.-H. Liang, and L. Li, "Broadband negative index metamaterials with low-loss," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 65, No. 9, 724-727, 2011.
12. Aydin, K., Z. Li, L. Sahin, and E. Ozbay, "Negative phase advance in polarization independent, multi-layer negative-index metamaterials," Optics Express, Vol. 16, No. 12, 8835-8844, 2008.
13. Cho, H., Y. Yang, D. Lee, S. So, and J. Rho, "Experimental demonstration of broadband negative refraction at visible frequencies by critical layer thickness analysis in a vertical hyperbolic metamaterial," Nanophotonics, Vol. 10, No. 15, 3871-3877, 2021.
14. Li, W., Q. Meng, R. Huang, Z. Zhong, and B. Zhang, "Thermally tunable broadband terahertz metamaterials with negative refractive index," Optics Communications, Vol. 412, 85-89, 2018.
15. Cooper, K. B., R. J. Dengler, N. Llombart, B. Thomas, G. Chattopadhyay, and P. H. Siegel, "THz imaging radar for standoff personnel screening," IEEE Transactions on Terahertz Science and Technology, Vol. 1, No. 1, 169-182, 2011.
16. Ferguson, B. and X.-C. Zhang, "Materials for terahertz science and technology," Nature Materials, Vol. 1, No. 1, 26-33, 2002.
17. Muthuramalingam, K. and W.-C. Wang, "Non-destructive evaluation of the medical device packages using the terahertz time-domain spectroscopy," SPIE Smart Structures + Nondestructive Evaluation, Vol. 12048, SPIE, 2022.
18. Cheng, Y. T., Y. H. Chiang, C. Y. Kao, H. H. Chen, and W. C. Wang, "THz gas detection using cellulose nanoporous foam," 2018 43rd International Conference on Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves (IRMMW-THz), 2018.
19. Davies, A. G., A. D. Burnett, W. Fan, E. H. Linfield, and J. E. Cunningham, "Terahertz spectroscopy of explosives and drugs," Materials Today, Vol. 11, No. 3, 18-26, 2008.
20. Wang, W.-C. and P. Garu, "Design of an ultra-wideband omnidirectional and polarization insensitive ower petal antenna for potential ambient electromagnetic energy harvesting applications," Scientific Reports, Vol. 12, No. 1, 6096, 2022.
21. Lin, H.-R. and W.-C. Wang, "Midinfrared radiation energy harvesting device," Journal of Photonics for Energy, Vol. 3, 038001, 2017.
22. Du, Q.-J., J.-S. Liu, K.-J. Wang, X.-N. Yi, and H.-W. Yang, "Dual-band Terahertz left-handed metamaterial with fishnet structure," Chinese Physics Letters, Vol. 28, No. 1, 014201, 2011.
23. Wongkasem, N., A. Akyurtlu, J. Li, A. Tibolt, Z. Kang, and W. Goodhue, "Novel broadband terahertz negative refractive index metamaterials: Analysis and experiment," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 205-218, 2006.
24. Chen, X., T. M. Grzegorczyk, B.-I. Wu, J. Pacheco, and J. A. Kong, "Robust method to retrieve the constitutive effective parameters of metamaterials," Physical Review E, Vol. 70, No. 1, 016608, 2004.
25. Numan, A. B. and M. S. Sharawi, "Extraction of material parameters for metamaterials using a full-wave simulator [Education Column]," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 55, No. 5, 202-211, 2013.
26. Hsieh, F.-J. and W.-C. Wang, "Full extraction methods to retrieve effective refractive index and parameters of a bianisotropic metamaterial based on material dispersion models," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 112, No. 6, 064907, 2012.
27. Ghodgaonkar, D. K., V. V. Varadan, and V. K. Varadan, "Free-space measurement of complex permittivity and complex permeability of magnetic materials at microwave frequencies," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 39, No. 2, 387-394, 1990.
28. Chang, C.-L., W.-C. Wang, H.-R. Lin, F. J. Hsieh, Y.-B. Pun, and C.-H. Chan, "Tunable terahertz fishnet metamaterial," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 102, No. 15, 151903, 2013.
29. Liu, T., S. Ma, B. Yang, S. Xiao, and L. Zhou, "Effective-medium theory for multilayer metamaterials: Role of near-field corrections," Physical Review B, Vol. 102, No. 17, 174208, 2020.
30. Jeong, D.-Y., Y. K. Wang, M. Huang, Q. M. Zhang, G. J. Kavarnos, and F. Bauer, "Electro-optical response of the ferroelectric relaxor poly (vinylidene fluoride-trifluoroethylene-chlorofluoroethylene) terpolymer," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 96, No. 1, 316-319, 2004.
31. Mishu, S. J., R. A. K. Moushi, N. Dhar, and M. A. Rahman, "Design of a dual-band terahertz planar double-negative metamaterial with near zero refractive index property," 2021 International Conference on Science & Contemporary Technologies (ICSCT), 2021.
32. Zhang, S., Z. Wei, L. Xu, J. Xu, S. Ouyang, and Y. Shen, "Plasmonic fishnet structures for dual band THz left-handed metamaterials," Photonics, Vol. 8, No. 4, 116, 2021.
33. Wegrowski, A., W.-C. Wang, and C. Tsui, "Three cases of discontinuous refractive index in metamaterial study," Scientific Reports, Vol. 12, No. 1, 3558, 2022.