To solve the problems of traditional reflective metasurfaces that cannot change the focal position and have simple functions, a polarization multiplexed 1-bit reconfigurable metasurface is proposed. It can realize the independent focusing characteristics of the x-direction polarization and y-direction polarization incident waves. The metasurface unit consists of a layer of dielectric substrate with a thickness of 0.055λ, a metal element embedded with a pair of PIN diodes, and ground. Two diagonal slits on the ground can not only be used as a reflection ground to keep high reflection, but also behave as a bias control line to control the voltage to change the state of the PIN diodes. Optimizing the structure parameters of the metasurface unit, the reflection phase can be manipulated binarily between 0 and 180°, corresponding to ON and OFF states, respectively. Based on the principle of quasi-optical path, a polarization multiplexed 1-bit reconfigurable metasurface with independent dynamic focusing characteristics at 11GHz is designed. On this basis, by changing the polarization direction of the incident wave, the dual-focus distribution with different power ratio can be obtained. The proposed 1-bit reconfigurable metasurface has no multilayer metal elements and complex feeding structures, and has the characteristics of a simple structure, low profile, and multifunction. At the same time, it enhances the utilization of metasurface array and provides a higher degree of freedom for wireless power transmission applications in future.
2. Zhang, B., C. Jin, L. Yin, Q. Lv, P. Zhang, and B. Tian, "Diffusive-Reflective metasurface with dual independent reflection bands for RCS reduction," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 21, No. 3, 635-639, Mar. 2022.
3. Jia, Y., G. Jiang, Y. Liu, and Y. Zhong, "Beam scanning for dual-polarized antenna with active reflection metasurface," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 21, No. 9, 1722-1726, Sept. 2022.
4. Li, H., et al., "Wideband multifunctional metasurface for polarization conversion and gain enhancement," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 155, 115-125, 2016.
5. Deng, G., Z. Yu, J. Yang, Z. Yin, Y. Li, and B. Chi, "A miniaturized 3-D metamaterial absorber with wide angle stability," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 32, No. 9, 1111-1114, Sept. 2022.
6. Chen, A. and F. Monticone, "Active scattering-cancellation cloaking: Broadband invisibility and stability constraints," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 68, No. 3, 1655-1664, Mar. 2020.
7. Wu, J. L., Y. M. Pan, and S. Y. Zheng, "Design of single-layer polarization-dependent transmissive and reflective focusing metasurface," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 69, No. 11, 7637-7646, Nov. 2021.
8. Sherman, J., "Properties of focused apertures in the fresnel region," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 4, 399-408, Jul. 1962.
9. Salah, M., M. M. Elsherbini, and O. A. Omer, "RIS-focus: On the optimal placement of the focal plane for outdoor beam routing," IEEE Access, Vol. 10, 53053-53065, 2022.
10. Yu, S., H. Liu, and L. Li, "Design of near-field focused metasurface for high-efficient wireless power transfer with multifocus characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 66, No. 5, 3993-4002, May 2019.
11. Zhang, P., et al., "Design, measurement and analysis of near-field focusing reflective metasurface for dual-polarization and multi-focus wireless power transfer," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 110387-110399, 2019.
12. Wang, D., et al., "Design of a reflective metasurface for near-field focusing," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and USNC-URSI Radio Science Meeting, 323-324, 2021.
13. Huang, H. and J. Zhang, "High-efficiency multifunction metasurface based on polarization sensitivity," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 20, No. 8, 1508-1512, 2021.
14. Shang, G., et al., "Coding metasurface holography with polarization multiplexed functionality," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 129, 035304, 2021.
15. Yong, Z., Y. Li, and Y. Zhou, "Dynamic manipulation of electromagnetic waves based on 1-bit reconfigurable metasurface," 2022 IEEE 5th International Conference on Electronic Information and Communication Technology, 519-522, 2022.
16. Yurduseven, O., D. L. Marks, J. N. Gollub, and D. R. Smith, "Design and analysis of a reconfigurable holographic metasurface aperture for dynamic focusing in the fresnel zone," IEEE Access, Vol. 5, 15055-15065, 2017.
17. Han, J., et al., "Adaptively smart wireless power transfer using 2-bit programmable metasurface," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 69, No. 8, 8524-8534, 2022.
18. Gao, X., W. L. Yang, H. F. Ma, Q. Cheng, X. H. Yu, and T. J. Cui, "A reconfigurable broadband polarization converter based on an active metasurface," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 11, No. 66, 6086-6095, Nov. 2018.
19. Ma, Q., et al., "Directly wireless communication of human minds via non-invasive brain-computer-metasurface platform," eLight, Vol. 2, No. 1, 11, 2022.
20. Li, L., et al., "Intelligent metasurfaces: Control, communication and computing," eLight, Vol. 2, 7, 2022.
21. Ratni, B., et al., "Reconfigurable reflective metasurface for dynamic control of focal point position," 2019 13th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1-3, 2019.
22. Yu, W. and H. Lin, "Application of 2-bit reconfigurable reflectarray in near-field wireless power transmission," 2021 International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, 1-3, 2021.
23. Kraus, J. D., Antenna, Publishing House of Electronics Industry, 2015.
24. Tran, N. M., et al., "A novel coding metasurface for wireless power transfer applications," Energies, Vol. 12, 4488, 2019.