This article investigates a Turbinella-shaped super wideband monopole antenna designed to accommodate the attributes of the fifth-generation (5G) technology which is the enhanced Mobile Broadband (eMBB). The antenna is designed to work with the current millimetre wave bands, including n77, n78, and n258, and it provides the increased data rate needed for eMBB applications. The proposed antenna comprises a Turbinella-shaped patch, a 50 Ω tapered feed line, and a multi-slotted partial ground plane. The self-similarity and space-filling nature of circular geometrical fractal is employed in a novel way to acquire the antenna compactness and broadband performances. Further with the design of a tuning fork-shaped Defective Ground Structure (DGS), super wideband characteristics to incorporate 5G millimeter bands are obtained. The proposed antenna has a compact size of 0.25λ × 0.32λ along with a bandwidth of 173.33% along the frequency ranging from 3 to 41.97 GHz and has achieved a compactness of 81%. Moreover, the fundamental dimension limit theorem is used to demonstrate the antenna's compactness. Time domain analysis is also studied in this article.
2. Ancans, G., V. Bobrovs, A. Ancans, and D. Kalibatiene, "Spectrum considerations for 5G mobile communication systems," Procedia Computer Science, Vol. 104, 509-516, 2017.
3. Teyeb, O., G. Wikstrom, M. Stattin, T. Cheng, S. Faxer, and H. Do, "Evolving LTE to fit the 5G future," Ericsson Technol. Rev., Vol. 95, No. 2, 8-22, 2017.
4. Dahlman, E., G. Mildh, S. Parkvall, J. Peisa, J. Sachs, and Y. Skold, "5G radio access," Ericsson Rev., Vol. 6, No. 1, 1-12, Jun. 2014.
5. Young, L. J., "Telecom experts plot a path to 5G [news]," IEEE Spectr., Vol. 52, No. 10, 14-15, Oct. 2015.
6. Ayyappan, M. and P. Patel, "On design of a triple elliptical super wideband antenna for 5G applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 10, 76031-76043, 2022.
7. Dey, S., M. S. Arefin, and N. C. Karmakar, "Design and experimental analysis of a novel compact and flexible super wide band antenna for 5G," IEEE Access, Vol. 9, 46698-46708, 2021.
8. Balani, W., M. Sarvagya, T. Ali, P. M. M. Manohara, J. Anguera, A. Andujar, and S. Das, "Design techniques of super-wideband antennas-existing and future prospective," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 141241-141257, 2019.
9. Azim, R., M. T. Islam, H. Arshad, M. M. Alam, N. Sobahi, and A. I. Khan, "CPW-fed super-wideband antenna with modified vertical bow-tie-shaped patch for wireless sensor networks," IEEE Access, Vol. 9, 5343-5353, 2020.
10. Karimyian-Mohammadabadi, M., M. A. Dorostkar, F. Shokuohi, M. Shanbeh, and A. Torkan, "Super-wideband textile fractal antenna for wireless body area networks," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 29, No. 13, 1728-1740, 2015.
11. Singhal, S. and A. K. Singh, "CPW-fed hexagonal Sierpinski super wideband fractal antenna," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 15, 1701-1707, 2016.
12. Garg, R. K., S. Singhal, and R. S. Tomar, "A CPW fed Clown-shaped super wideband antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 99, 159-167, 2021.
13. Singhal, S. and A. K. Singh, "Modified star-star fractal (MSSF) super-wideband antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 59, No. 3, 624-630, 2017.
14. Singhal, S. and A. K. Singh, "CPW-fed Phi-shaped monopole antenna for super-wideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 64, 105-116, 2016.
15. Siahcheshm, A., J. Nourinia, Y. Zehforoosh, and B. Mohammadi, "A compact modified triangular CPW-fed antenna with multioctave bandwidth," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 1, 69-72, 2015.
16. Ajith, K. K. and A. Bhattacharya, "A novel compact superwideband bowtie antenna for 420 MHz to 5.5 GHz operation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 8, 3830-3836, 2018.
17. Okan, T., "A compact octagonal-ring monopole antenna for super wideband applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 62, No. 3, 1237-1244, 2020.
18. Faouri, Y., S. Ahmad, S. Naseer, K. Alhammami, N. Awad, A. Ghaffar, and M. I. Hussein, "Compact super wideband frequency diversity hexagonal shaped monopole antenna with switchable rejection band," IEEE Access, Vol. 10, 42321-42333, 2022.
19. Agarwal, S., A. Sharma, I. J. Garcia Zuazola, and W. G. Whittow, "Three-dimensional miniaturized super wideband antenna with filtering capabilities," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 32, No. 8, e23200, 2022.
20. Shahu, B. L., S. Pal, and N. Chattoraj, "Design of super wideband hexagonal-shaped fractal antenna with triangular slot," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 7, 1659-1662, 2015.
21. Chandra Shekar, M., S. Arularasan, N. M. Nathani, G. U. Zaman, and C. G. Joshi, "Genetic architecture of three Turbinella pyrum varieties (Linnaeus, 1758) from the southeast coast of India," Marine Ecology, Vol. 37, No. 3, 588-598, 2016.
22. Chu, L. J., "Physical limitations of omni-directional antennas," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 19, No. 12, 1163-1175, 1948.
23. McLean, J. S., "A re-examination of the fundamental limits on the radiation Q of electrically small antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 44, No. 5, 672, May 1996.
24. Dey, S. and N. C. Karmakar, "Design of novel super wide band antenna close to the fundamental dimension limit theory," Scientific Reports, Vol. 10, No. 1, 1-15, 2020.
25. Anguera, J., C. Puente, C. Borja, and J. Soler, "Fractal shaped antennas: A review," Encyclopedia of RF and Microwave Engineering, 2005.
26. Gauthier, G. P., A. Courtay, and G. M. Rebeiz, "Microstrip antennas on synthesized low dielectric-constant substrates," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 8, 1310-1314, 1997.
27. Reniers, A. C., A. R. van Dommele, A. B. Smolders, and M. H. Herben, "The influence of the probe connection on mm-wave antenna measurements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 9, 3819-3825, 2015.
28. Ji, Z., G.-H. Sun, and H. Wong, "A wideband circularly polarized complementary antenna for millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 70, No. 4, 2392-2400, 2022.
29. Balani, W., M. Sarvagya, A. Samasgikar, T. Ali, and P. Kumar, "Design and analysis of super wideband antenna for microwave applications," Sensors, Vol. 21, No. 2, 477, 2021.
30. Manohar, M., R. S. Kshetrimayum, and A. K. Gogoi, "Super wideband antenna with single band suppression," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 9, No. 1, 143-150, 2017.
31. Manohar, M., R. S. Kshetrimayum, and A. K. Gogoi, "Printed monopole antenna with tapered feed line, feed region and patch for super wideband applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 8, No. 1, 39-45, 2014.
32. Kumar, A. L., A. Ranjan, M. Chauhan, V. K. Killamsetty, and B. Mukherjee, "Circular SRR shaped UWB antenna with WiMAX band notch characteristics," 2018 IEEE Radio and Antenna Days of the Indian Ocean (RADIO), 1-2, IEEE, 2018.
33. Gupta, S., M. Chauhan, and B. Mukherjee, "Fractal on hemispherical DRA by Descarte's circle theorem for wideband application," 2018 Conference on Information and Communication Technology (CICT), 1-6, IEEE, 2018.