In this work we theoretically study the optical properties of a multilayer Fabry-Perot narrow band transmission filter containing a metamaterial negative-index defect. As in the usual Fabry-Perot filter design, the negative-index defect is sandwiched by two quarter-wave dielectric mirrors. Some useful design rules on selecting value of the negative-index of the defect have been numerically elucidated. Such narrow band transmission filtering is achieved when the refractive index of defect is either a negative even integer if the thickness is taken as a quarter of design wavelength; or a negative odd integer if the thickness is taken as a half of design wavelength.
2. Yeh, P., Optical Waves in Layered Media, John Wiley & Sons, Singapore, 1991.
3. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of permittivity and permeability," Sov. Phys. Usp., Vol. 10, 509-514, 1968.
4. Sabah, C. and S. Uckun, "Physical features of left-handed mirrors in millimeter wave band," J. Optoelectron. Adv. Materials, Vol. 9, 2480-2484, 2007.
5. Canto, J. R., S. A. Matos, C. R. Paiva, and A. M. Barbosa, "Effect of losses in a layered structure containing DPS and DNG media," PIRRS Online, Vol. 4, 546-550, 2008.
6. Srivastava, R., S. Srivastava, and S. P. Pjha, "Negative refraction by photonic crystal," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 15-26, 2008.
7. Wang, Z.-Y., X.-M. Chen, X.-Q. He, S.-L. Fan, and W.-Z. Yan, "Photonic crystal narrow filters with negative refractive index structural defect," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 421-430, 2008.
8. Chigrin, D. N., A. V. Lavrinenko, D. A. Yarotsky, and S. V. Gaponenko, "Observation of total omnidirectional reflection from a one-dimensional dielectric lattice," Appl. Phys. A: Mater. Sci. Process, Vol. 68, 25-28, 1999.