A lowpass filter with a very sharp transition band using defected ground structures (DGS) is described. The lowpass filter was designed by using three dumbbell slots at the ground plane. Two of those dumbbell slots are the reshaped rectangular and the third dumbbell slot is an inverted triangle. The lowpass filter esigned at cutoff frequency of 3.0 GHz, which is suitable for GSM900, GSM1800 and UMTS applications of the mobile communications. The equivalent circuits for the proposed lowpass filter and its corresponding LC parameters are given. The proposed lowpass filter provides a size of 33x30 mm2, and have good transition band with good performance in the passband and have wide rejection up to 9.25 GHz plus harmonic suppression in the stopband. Measurements results show good agreements with the simulated results.
2. Liu, H., et al., "An improved 1-D periodic defected ground structure for microstrip line," IEEE Trans. on Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, No. 4, 180-182, Apr. 2004.
3. Hong, J.-S. and B. Karyamapudi, "A general circuit model for defected ground structures in planar transmission line," IEEE Trans. on Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 10, 706-708, 2005.
4. Boutejdar, A., A. Ramadan, M. Makkey, and A. S. Omar, Design of compact Microstrip lowpass filters using a U-shaped defected ground structure and compensated microstrip line, Proceedings of the 36th European Microwave Conference, 267-270, 2006.
5. Parui, S. K. and S. Das, A simple defected ground structures with elliptical lowpass filtering response, Proceeding of Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, 2007.
6. Vagner, P. and M. Kasal, "Design of novel microstrip low-pass filter usingdefected ground structures," Microwave and Optical Technology Letter, Vol. 50, No. 1, 10-13, 2007.
7. Yang, J. and W. Wu, "Compact elliptic-function lowpass filter using defected ground structure," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, No. 9, 578-580, Sep. 2008.
8. Boutejdar, A., M. Makkey, A. Elsherbini, O. Luxor, and A. Omar, Design of compact extended-stopband microstrip low pass filters by employing new mutual coupling technique for defected ground structures (DGSs), Proceeding of the 37th European Microwave Conference, 71-74, Munich Germany, Oct. 9-12, 2007.
9. Ting, S. W., K. W. Tam, and R. P. Martins, "Miniaturized microstrip low pass filter with wide stopband using double equilateral U-shaped defected ground structures," IEEE Microwave and Wirless Components, Vol. 16, No. 5, 240-242, May 2006.
10. Mohan, A. and A. Biswas, A novel compact defected ground structure (DGS) lowpas filter, Proceeding of Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 2006.
11. Boutejdar, A., J.Mochac, L. Haiwen, and A. Omar, Miniaturized lowpass filter with wide stopband using suspended layers and defected ground structures, 14th Conference on Microwave Technique (COMTE), 1-4, Apr. 23-24, 2008.
12., Zeland software Inc., IE3D software package, Ver.9.35, Zeland Softeare Inc., 2002.
13. Rahman, A., A. Boutjedar, A. K. Verma, G. Nadim, and A. S. Omar, "Improved circuit model for DGS based lowpass filter," Antenna and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2004, Vol. 1, 998-1001, June 20-25, 2004.