In this paper we present the results of ellipsometry on a grid of S-shape particles engraved on an epoxy substrate. We show the value of the ellipticity and the tilt angle of the principal axis of ellipsis of the transmitted wave as a function to the angle between the polarisation of the incident plane wave and the principal axis of the particles. The optical axes of the material are found, and the dependence of the absorption to the angle of polarisation is shown. Using a least squares method with the measurements, we calculate the dichroism and the birefringence of the material.
2. Ghodgaonkar, D. K., V. V. Varadan, and V. K. Varadan, "Free-space measurement of complex permittivity and complex permeability of magnetic materials at microwaves frquencies," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 39, 387-394, 1990.
3. Varadan, V. V., K. A. Jose, and V. K. Varadan, "In situ microwave characterization of nonplanar dielectric objects," IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 48, 388-394, 2000.
4. Hollinger, R. D., K. A. Jose, A. Tellakula, V. V. Varadan, and V. K. Varadan, "Microwave characterization of dielectric materials from 8 to 110 GHz," IEEE Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 30, 2001.
5. Tisseyre, J. M., "Elaboration dune méthode de mesure directe de la rotation et de l'ellipticité dune onde de 30 GHz ayant traversé une lame mince de cobalt ou de fer," Mémoire d'Ingénieur CNAM, Clermont-Ferrand, 1983.
6. Azzam, R. M. A. and N. M. Bashara, Ellipsometry and Polarized Light, Elsevier science, Amsterdam, 1987.
7. Press, W. H., B. P. Flannery, S. A. Teukolsky, and W. T. Vetterling, Numerical Recipes, the art of scientific computing, 1989.
8. Simovski, C., E. Verney, S. Zouhdi, and A. Fourrier-Lamer, "Homogenization of planar bianisotropic arrays on the dielectric interface," Electromagnetics, Vol. 3, 177-189, April 2002.