The scattering cross section of a meta-sphere is determined and comparison is made to a normal right-handed spherical dielectric scatterer. A meta-sphere is a term used for a sphere embedded inside a medium that gives effective doubly-negative permittivity and permeability. It is found that the scattering resonances can be manipulated via the meta-sphere parameters while the issue of reducing the scattering cross section to zero is examined.
2. Pendry, J. B., "Negative refraction makes a perfect lens," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 85, 3966, 2000.
3. Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 84, 4184, 2000.
4. Ziolkowski, R. W. and A. D. Kipple, "Application of double negative materials to increase the power radiated by electrically small antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, 2626-2640, 2003.
5. Engheta, N. and R. W. Ziolkowski, "A positive future for double-negative metamaterials," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, 1535-1556, 2005.
6. Alù, A. and N. Engheta, "Achieving transparency with plasmonic and metamaterial coatings," Physical Review E, Vol. 72, 016623, 2005.
7. Alù, A. and N. Engheta, "Plasmonic materials in transparency and cloaking problems: Mechanism, robustness, and physical insights," Optics Express, Vol. 15, No. 6, 3318-3332, 2007.
8. Alù, A. and N. Engheta, "Cloaking and transparency for collections of particles with metamaterial and plasmonic covers," Optics Express, Vol. 15, No. 12, 7578-7590, 2007.
9. Alù, A. and N. Engheta, "Multifrequency optical cloaking with layered plasmonic shells," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 100, 113901, 2008.
10. Sihvola, A. H., "Peculiarities in the dielectric response of negative-permittivity scatters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 191-198, 2006.
11. Bohren, C. F. and D. R. Huffman, Absorption and Scattering of Light by Small Particles, Wiley, New York, 1983.
12. Stuart, H. R. and R. W. Pidwerbetsky, "Electrically small antenna elements using negative permittivity resonators," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 6, 1644-1653, 2006.
13. Pendry, J., A. J. Holden, D. D. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 47, 2075-2084, 1999.