In this paper, simulated annealing algorithm (SA) is applied to the synthesis of cylindrical conformal arrays in order to suppress the peaks of side lobes by acting on the elements' positions. There are multiple optimization constraints including the number of elements, aperture and minimum element spacing. A constraint matrix is designed to make the solution meet the restriction on the minima distance between elements, and the individual matrix which forms on the basis of constraint matrix is used to express array configurations. The SA does not act on the elements' positions directly but on the variables in a smaller solution space, this indirect description method makes the SA more computationally efficient. The simulation results confirm the great e±ciency and robustness of the proposed method.
2. Lee, K. C., "Frequency-domain analyses of nonlinearly loaded antenna arrays using simulated annealing algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 53, 271-281, 2005.
3. Haupt, R. L., "Optimized element spacing for low sidelobe concentric ring arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 1, 266-268, 2008.
4. Chen, K., Z. He, and C. Han, "A modified real GA for the sparse linear array synthesis with multiple constraints," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 7, 2169-2173, 2006.
5. Lu, Z. B., A. Zhang, and X. Y. Hou, "Pattern synthesis of cylindrical conformal array by the modified particle swarm optimization algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 415-426, 2008.
6. Trucco, A., "Synthesizing asymmetric beam patterns," IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, Vol. 25, No. 3, 347-350, 2000.
7. Trucco, A., E. Omodei, P. Repetto, and B. Smith, "Synthesis of sparse planar arrays," Electronics Letters., Vol. 33, No. 22--23, 1834-1835, 1997.
8. Ferreira, J. A. and F. Ares, "Pattern synthesis of conformal arrays by the simulated annealing technique," Electronics Letters, Vol. 33, No. 14, 1187-1189, 1997.
9. Skolnik, M. I., G. Nemhauser, and J. W. Sherman, "Dynamic programming applied to unequally spaced arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 12, No. 1, 35-43, 1964.
10. Trucco, A. and V. Murino, "Stochastic optimization of linear sparse arrays," IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, Vol. 24, No. 7, 291-299, 1999.
11. Haupt, R. L., "Thinned arrays using genetic algorithms," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 42, No. 7, 993-999, 1994.
12. Kirkpatrick, S., C. D. Gelatt, and M. P. Vecchi, "Optimization by simulated annealing," Science, Vol. 220, No. 4598, 671-680, 1983.
13. Jan, E. K. and A. Austeng, "Sparse cylindrical sonar arrays," IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, Vol. 33, No. 2, 224-231, 2008.