Applying a sparse constraint on the beam pattern has been suggested to suppress the sidelobe level of a minimum variance distortionless response (MVDR) beamformer. In this letter, we introduce a weighted sparse constraint in the beamformer design to provide a lower sidelobe level and deeper nulls for interference avoidance, as compared with a conventional MVDR beamformer. The proposed beamformer also shows improved robustness against the mismatch between the steering angle and the direction of arrival (DOA) of the desired signal, caused by imperfect estimation of DOA.
2. Wax, M. and Y. Anu, "Performance analysis of the minimum variance beamformer," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 44, No. 4, 938-947, April 1996.
3. Zhang, Y., B. P. Ng, and Q. Wan, "Sidelobe suppression for adaptive beamforming with sparse constraint on beam pattern," Electronics Letters,, Vol. 44, No. 10, 615-616, May 2008.
4. Cox, H., "Resolving power and sensitivity to mismatch of optimum array processors," Journal of the Acoustic Society of America, Vol. 54, No. 3, 771-785, September 1973.
5. Rao, B. D., K. Engan, S. F. Cotter, J. Palmer, and K. Kreutz-Delgado, "Subset selection in noise based on diversity measure minimization," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 51, No. 3, 760-770, March 2003.
6. Chen, S. and D. Donoho, "Basis pursuit," 28th Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, Vol. 1, 41-44, October-November 1994.
7. Haykin, S., Adaptive Filter Theory, 4 Ed., Prentice Hall, USA, 2001.
8. Chen, C. and P. P. Vaidyanathan, "Quadratically constrained beamforming robust against direction-of-arrival mismatch," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 55, No. 8, 4139-4150, August 2007.
9. Stoica, P., Z. Wang, and J. Li, "Robust capon beamforming," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 10, No. 6, 172-175, June 2003.
10. Lorenz, R. G. and S. P. Boyd, "Robust minimum variance beamforming," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 53, No. 5, 1684-1696, May 2005.