A low phase noise CMOS complementary cross-coupled LC-tank voltage-controlled oscillator (VCO), implemented with TSMC 0.18 μm 1P6M CMOS technology, is presented. Double pair pseudo-resistance transistors biased by the tapped center of the inductor are utilized to reduce the DC bias current. The circuit consumes 1.55 mA from a 1.5 V supply voltage which saves up to 52.4% power, compared with the conventional one. Furthermore, an adaptive body biasing technique (ABB) is used to overcome the effect of PVT variations. The VCO is tunable from 2.58 to 3.07 GHz and has a phase noise -122.7 dBc/Hz at 1 MHz offset from the 3 GHz carrier. The Figure of Merit (FOM) of the proposed VCO is -188.8 dBc, and the figure of merit including the tuning range (FOMT ) is -193.5 dBc.
2. Ren, W., "Compact dual-band slot antenna for 2.4/5 GHz WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 8, 319-327, 2008.
3. Hegazi, E., J. Rael, and A. Abidi, The Designer's Guide to High-Purity Oscillators, Kluwer Academic Publishers, New York, 2005.
4. Wei, M. D., S. F. Chang, and Y. J. Yang, "A CMOS back gate-coupled QVCO based on back-to-back series varactor configuration for minimal AM-to-PM noise conversion," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, No. 5, 320-322, 2009.
5. Mohammad, N. G., A. Saberkari, and R. Meshkin, "A low power low phase noise CMOS voltage-controlled oscillator," 17th IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Circuits, and Systems, 422-425, Athens, Greece, 2010.
6. Park, D. and S. Cho, "An adaptive body-biased VCO with voltage-boosted switched tuning in 0.5V supply," Proceedings of the 32nd European Solid-State Circuits Conference, 444-447, Montreux, Switzerland, 2006.
7. Wang, T. P., "A K-band low-power colpitts VCO with voltage-to-current positive-feedback network in 0.18 μm CMOS," IEEE Microwave Theory and Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 21, No. 4, 218-220, 2011.
8. Wu, C. H., W. C. Fang, and N. Y. Wu, "Design of low power VCO using Gm-boosted technique for WLAN applications," IEEE International Conference on Consumer Electronics, 218-220, 2011.
9. Hsu, M. T. and W. H. Lin, "A low power 10 GHz voltage-controlled oscillator with modified current-reused configuration," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 578-581, 2010.
10. Wu, C. H. and G. X. Jian, "A CMOS LC VCO with novel negative impedance design for wide-band operation," IEEE Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits Symposium, 537-540, 2010.
11. Xu, W., et al., "A CMOS LC-VCO with enhanced PSR based on common-mode replica compensation," International Conference on Computer Application and System Modeling, 174-177, 2010.
12. Li, J. Y., et al., "A second harmonic suppression CMOS crosscoupled VCO using active inductor technique for WLAN system applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Wave and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 14-15, 2077-2086, 2010.