An ultra-wideband (UWB) antenna with a novel multi-layer frequency selective surface (FSS) reflector is presented. A significant enhancement in the gain has been achieved in a low profile design while maintaining the excellent impedance bandwidth of the UWB antenna. The average peak gain of the antenna has been increased from 4 dBi to 9.3 dBi as a consequence of the use of the FSS reflector. More importantly the gain variation within the frequency range from 3 GHz to 15 GHz is only ±0.5 dB. This is a significant improvement from ±2 dB gain variation of the UWB slot antenna without the reflector. This optimized FSS reflector provides the exibility of mounting a planar antenna close to conducting bodies, including screens and cases.
2. Ray, K. P. and Y. Ranga, "Ultrawideband printed elliptical monopole antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 4, 1189-1192, 2007.
3. Ray, K. P. and Y. Ranga, "Ultra-wideband printed modified triangular monopole antenna," Electronic Letters, Vol. 42, No. 19, 1081-1082, 2006.
4. Chen, H. D., J. S. Chen, and J.-N. Li, "Ultra-wideband square-slot antenna," Microwave Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 3, 500-502, 2006.
5. Engheta, N. and R. W. Ziolkowski, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Physics and Engineering Exploration, Wiley-IEEE Press, 2006.
6. Munk, B. A., Frequency Selective Surfaces: Theory and Design,, 1st Ed., Wiley-Interscience, 2000.
7. Erdemli, Y. E., K. Sertel, R. A. Gilbert, D. E. Wright, and J. L. Volakis, "Frequency-selective surfaces to enhance performance of broad-band reconfigurable arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 12, 1716-1724, 2002.
8. Pasian, M., S. Monni, A. Neto, M. Ettorre, and G. Gerini, "Frequency selective surfaces for extended bandwidth backing reflector functions," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 1, 43-50, 2010.
9. Moustafa, M. and B. Jecko, "Design and realization of a wide-band EBG antenna based on FSS and operating in the Ku-band," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Article ID 139069, 2010.
10. Ranga, Y., L. Matekovits, K. P. Esselle, and A. R. Weily, "Multioctave frequency selective surface re°ector for ultra-wideband antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 219-222, 2011.
11. Hosseini, M., A. Pirhadi, and M. Hakkak, "A novel AMC with little sensitivity to the angle of incidence using 2-layer Jerusalem cross FSS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 43-51, 2006.
12. Zhang, J.-C., Y.-Z. Yin, and .-P. Ma, "Design of narrow band-pass frequency selective surface for millimeter wave applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 96, 287-298, 2009.
13. Jha, K. R., G. Singh, and R. Jyoti, "A simple synthesis technique of single-square-loop frequency selective surface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 45, 165-185, 2012.