A new frequency reconfigurable unequal U-slot antenna is presented in this paper. The U-slot antenna loaded with two lumped variable varactors is capable of 6 different frequencies switching between 2.3 GHz and 3.6 GHz. The small slots in the ground plane are employed for the biasing circuit to minimize the parasitic effects towards the performance of the antenna. It is found that the unequal U-slot fed by an L-shaped feed line can reduce 30% of the size of the conventional U-slot antenna. Moreover, the proposed antenna offers stable radiation characteristics for each operating frequency in the tunable range. The antenna offers a gain of 4.5 dB in average. The designs are verified through both numerical simulations and measurements of an experimental prototype. Details of the antenna designs and measured results are presented and discussed.
2. Petosa, A., "Frequency agile antennas for wireless communications --- A survey," 2010 14th International Symposium on IEEE Antenna Technology and Applied Electromagnetics & the American Electromagnetics Conference (ANTEM-AMEREM), 1-4, 2010.
3. Alkanhal, M. A. and A. F. Sheta, "A novel dual-band reconfigurable square-ring microstrip antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, 409-416, 2006.
4. Li, H., et al., "A simple compact reconfigurable slot antenna with a very wide tuning range," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 11, 3725-3728, 2010.
5. Mak, A. C. K., et al., "Reconfigurable multiband antenna designs for wireless communication devices," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 7, 1919-1928, 2007.
6. Daly, M. P. and J. T. Bernhard, "RF MEMS switch model for reconfigurable antenna design," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2008, AP-S 2008, 1-4, 2008.
7. Abutarboush, H. F., et al., "A reconfigurable wideband and multiband antenna using dual-patch elements for compact wireless devices," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 1, 36-43, 2012.
8. Majid, H. A., et al., "A compact frequency-reconfigurable narrowband microstrip slot antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 616-619, 2012.
9. Genovesi, S., et al., "Frequency-reconfigurable microstrip antenna with biasing network driven by a PIC microcontroller," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 156-159, 2012.
10. Yang, S. L. S., A. A. Kishk, and K. F. Lee, "Frequency reconfigurable U-slot microstrip patch antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 127-129, 2008.
11. Scardelletti, M. C., et al., "Tunable reduced size planar folded slot antenna utilizing varactor diodes IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium (RWS),", 547-550, 2010.
12. Oh, S., Y. Shin, and S. Park, "A novel PIFA type varactor tunable antenna with U-shaped slot," 7th International Symposium on IEEE Antennas, Propagation & EM Theory, 2006, ISAPE'06, 1-3, 2006.
13. Behdad, N. and K. Sarabandi, "A varactor-tuned dual-band slot antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 2, 401-408, 2006.
14. Holland, B. R., et al., "Tunable coplanar patch antenna using varactor," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 6, 319-321, 2006.