This paper presents the design and implementation of a novel fully planar modified, extended composite right/left-handed transmission lines (E-CRLH-TLs) utilizing a complementary split ring resonator (CSRR) loaded on the ground plane. The multiband behavior of the proposed layout is demonstrated by an equivalent circuit which in this case is distinct from the standard form of the equivalent circuits presented for an E-CTLH-TL; therefore, in order to design a quad band E-CRLH unit-cell, the design procedure is investigated. The main advantages of the proposed layout over other topologies are size reduction and fabrication simplicity which are proved by the design and fabrication of a quad-band Y power divider.
2. Siso, G., J. Bonache, F. Martın, G. Cimitec, E. Electronica, and U. Autonoma, "Dual-band Y-junction power dividers implemented through artificial lines based on complementary resonators," 2008 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, No. 1, 663-666, 2008.
3. Zhang, H. L., B. J. Hu, and X. Y. Zhang, "Compact equal and unequal dual-frequency power dividers based on composite right-/left-handed transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 59, No. 9, 3464-3472, 2012.
4. Xu, H.-X., G.-M. Wang, and J.-G. Liang, "Novel CRLH TL metamaterial and compact microstrip branch-line coupler application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 20, 173-186, 2011.
5. Chi, P. and T.-Y. Chen, "Dual-band ring coupler based on the composite right/left-handed folded substrate-integrated waveguide," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Components Lett., Vol. 24, No. 5, 330-332, 2014, [Online], available: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/lpdocs/epic03/wrapper.htm?arnumber=6766289.
6. Jim, J. L., J. L. Jimenez-Martin, V. Gonzalez-Posadas, J. E. Gonzalez-Garcia, F. J. Arques-Orobon, L. E. Garcia-Munoz, and D. Segovia-Vargas, "Dual band high efficiency class CE power amplifier based on CRLH diplexer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 217-240, 2009.
7. Cao, W.-Q., B. Zhang, A. Liu, T. Yu, D. Guo, Y. Wei, and P. In, "Novel phase-shifting characteristic of CRLH TL and its application in the design of dual-band dual-mode dual-polarization antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 375-390, 2012.
8. Rennings, A., S. Otto, J. Mosig, C. Caloz, and I. Wolff, "Extended composite right/left-handed (E-CRLH) metamaterial and its application as quadband quarter-wavelength transmission line," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 2006, APMC 2006, 1405-1408, 2006.
9. Eleftheriades, G. V. and A. Abstract, "Generalized negative-refractive-index transmission-line (NRI-TL) metamaterial for dual-band and quad-band applications," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Components Lett., Vol. 17, No. 6, 415-417, 2007.
10. Caloz, C., "Dual composite right/left-handed (D-CRLH) transmission line metamaterial," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Components Lett., Vol. 16, No. 11, 585-587, 2006.
11. Papanastasiou, A. C., G. E. Georghiou, and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A quad-band Wilkinson power divider using generalized NRI transmission lines," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Components Lett., Vol. 18, No. 8, 521-523, 2008.
12. Qiang, L., H. Lu, W. Zhao, J.-K. Wang, B. Liu, and P. In, "Simplified extended composite right/left-handed transmission line structure for dual-band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 15, 137-144, 2010.
13. Ryan, C. G. M. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Design of a printed dual-band coupled-line coupler with generalised negative-refractive index transmission lines," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propag., Vol. 6, No. 6, 705, 2012.
14. Ryan, C. G. M. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A dual-band leaky-wave antenna based on generalized negative-refractive-index transmission-lines," 2010 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1-4, 2010.
15. Studniberg, M. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A dual-band bandpass filter based on generalized negative-refractive-index transmission-lines," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Components Lett., Vol. 19, No. 1, 2009-2011, 2009.
16. Chen, B. H., Y. N. Zhang, D. Wu, B. H. Chen, Y. N. Zhang, D. Wu, and K. Seo, "Novel composite right/left-handed transmission line for quad-band applications," 11th IEEE Singapore International Conference on Communication Systems, 2008, ICCS 2008, No. 4, 617-620, 2008.
17. Lakhtakia, A., L. Qiang, Y. Zhao, W. Zhao, Q. Sun, and B. Liu, "Extended dual composite right/left-handed transmission line," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 52, No. 12, 2838-2840, 2010, [Online], available: http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0604155.
18. Duran-Sindreu, M., G. Siso, J. Bonache, and F. Martin, "Planar multi-band microwave components based on the generalized composite right/left handed transmission line concept," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 58, No. 12, 3882-3891, Part 2, 2010.
19. Duran-Sindreu, M., J. Bonache, F. Martin, and T. Itoh, "Novel fully-planar extended-composite right/left handed transmission line based on substrate integrated waveguide for multi-band applications," 2012 42nd European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 578-581, 2012.
20. Studniberg, M. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Physical implementation of a generalized NRI-TL medium for quad-band applications," European Microwave Conference, 2007, 408-411, October 2007.
21. Duran-Sindreu, M., J. Bonache, F. Martin, T. Itoh, P. B. Structures, and P. Components, "Single-layer fully-planar extended-composite right-/left-handed transmission lines based on substrate integrated waveguides for dual-band and quad-band applications ," Int. J. Microw. Wirel. Technol., Vol. 5, No. 3, 213-220, 2013.
22. Bonache, J., M. Gil, I. Gil, J. Garcia-Garcia, and F. Martin, "On the electrical characteristics of complementary metamaterial resonators," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Components Lett., Vol. 16, No. 10, 543-545, 2006.
23. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, 2005.