A low-profile wideband bowtie antenna backed by artificial magnetic conductor (AMC) ground is presented for gain enhancement.The proposed bowtie antenna, loaded with an open stub in the upper layer, has broadband property. By using an AMC reflector,consisting of 6×9 metallic patches, the bidirectional radiation of the bowtie antenna is changed to unidirectional radiation. The distance between the bowtie antenna and the AMC surface is onlyλ/10 at 3.75 GHz. Both the bowtie antenna and the AMC surface are fabricated and measured. The measured results demonstrate good and stable performances, including maximum gain of 8.27 dBi, and flat gain response with variation of 0.6 dB in the wide impedance matching (S11 < -10 dB) band from 3.05 GHz to 4.35 GHz(35.1%). Furthermore, the maximum cross-polarization level is -17 dB for both E and H planes, and the measured front-to-back ratios are more than 18 dB.Good agreement between the simulated and measured results validates the proposed design approach.
2. Ta, S. X., I. Park, and W. Ziolkowski, "Circularly polarized crossed dipole on an HIS for 2.4/5.2/5.8-GHz WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 1464-1467, 2013.
3. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Reflection phase characteristics of the EBG ground plane for low profile wire antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2691-2703, 2003.
4. Yang, W. C., W. Q. Che, and H. Wang, "High-gain design of a patch antenna using stub-loaded artificial magnetic conductor," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 1172-1175, 2013.
5. Compton, R. C., R. C. Mcphedran, Z. Popovic, G. M. Rebeiz, P. P. Tong, and D. B. Rutledge, "Bowtie antennas on a dielectric half-space: Theory and experiment," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 35, No. 6, 622-631, 1987.
6. Loi, K. W., S. Uysal, and M. S. Leong, "Design of a wideband microstrip bowtie patch antenna," IEE Proc. — Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 145, No. 2, 137-140, 1998.
7. Jin, P. and R. W. Ziolkowski, "High-directivity, electrically small, low-profilenear-field resonant parasitic antennas," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 305-309, 2012.
8. Yang, F. and W. Tang, "A novel low-profile high-gain antenna based on artificial magnetic conductor for LTE applications," International Symposium on Antennas, Propagation & EM Theory (ISAPE), 171-174, 2012.
9. Lu, P. and G. Hua, "Combination of bowtie shaped meander slot antenna with wideband AMC structure," 2014 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2066-2067, USA, 2014.
10. Zhong, Y. W., G. M. Yang, and L. R. Zhong, "Gain enhancement of bowtie antenna using fractal wideband artificial magnetic conductor ground," Electron. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 4, 315-317, Feb. 2015.
11. Foroozesh, A. and L. Shafai, "Investigation into the application of artificial magnetic conductors to bandwidth broadening, gain enhancement and beam shaping of low profile and conventional monopole antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 1, 4-20, 2011.
12. Lian, R., Z. Wang, Y. Z. Yin, J. Wu, and Z. Tang, "1 × 2 wideband patch-dipole antenna array with slot coupler," Electron. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 9, 664-665, 2015.