A clubs-shaped wideband antenna with reconfigurable radiation pattern is proposed. This antenna is composed of two tapered slots of mirror symmetry, embedded with two PIN diodes and fed by a 50 Ω coplanar waveguide (CPW). By controlling states of PIN diodes, two tapered slots can be shut down or opened. Consequently, the proposed antenna works in three radiation modes: one monopole pattern with a simulation frequency band (3.93-5.55 GHz) and two end-fire patterns with an identical band (3.29-6.13 GHz). The antenna is fabricated and tested. Measured results show good agreement with the simulation, which denotes that it is suitable for wideband wireless communication systems.
2. Yang, X. X., et al., "A polarization reconfigurable patch antenna with loop slots on the ground plane," IEEE Antennas & Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, No. 1, 69-72, 2012.
3. Lim, I., T. Yun, and S. Lim, "Low-profile pattern-reconfigurable antenna with vertical and horizontal shorting lines in grounded CPW technology," IEEE Antennas & Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, No. 4, 1589-1592, 2014.
4. Pendharker, S., R. K. Shevgaonkar, and A. N. Chandorkar, "Optically controlled frequency-reconfigurable microstrip antenna with low photoconductivity," IEEE Antennas & Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, No. 13, 99-102, 2014.
5. Li, L., et al., "Frequency-reconfigurable quasi-Sierpinski antenna integrating with dual-band high-impedance surface," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 62, 4459-4467, 2014.
6. Kou, N. and L. Li, "Frequency and pattern reconfigurable annular slot antenna with two feeding ports," IEEE International Wireless Symposium, 1-4, 2014.
7. Ren, J., et al., "A Novel antenna with reconfigurable patterns using H-shaped structures," IEEE Antennas & Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 915-918, 2015.
8. Jusoh, M., et al., "Pattern-reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna with multidirectional beam for WiMAX applicatio," IEEE Antennas & Wireless Propagatio Letters, Vol. 13, No. 1933, 860-863, 2014.
9. Jeong, J. G., J. Ahn, and Y. J. Yoon, "Ultra-wideband reconfigurable radiation pattern antenna for diversity applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 51, No. 25, 2086-2087, 2015.
10. Yang, X. Q., Y. Y. Zhai, C. Xu, and G. Z. Jia, "Design of antipodal Vivaldi antenna with better performances for ultra wideband applications," International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics & Mechanics, Vol. 46, No. 3, 527-537, 2014.