This paper presents a short-range imaging algorithm for multiple-input-multiple-output (MIMO) array. One of the steps in a previous method utilizes 2-D STOLT interpolation to transform 3-D data into 2-D data, which is not strict in the view of mathematical derivation and lack of physical meaning. The convolution operation which is analyzed by physical process of angular spectrum propagation is used to explain multi-static configuration and reduce the 3-D data into 2-D ones. This paper gives the physical phenomena of the whole process of imaging. We also explain the different physical meanings of FFT between transmitters and receivers. Numerical simulations show the consequence of STOLT interpolation in the previous algorithm and demonstrate the performance of the proposed algorithm.
2. Chen, C. C. and H. Candrews, "Target-motion-induced radar imaging," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace & Electronic Systems, Vol. 16, No. 1, 2-14, 1980.
3. Greenwald, R. A., et al., "An HF phased-array radar for studying small-scale structure in the high-latitude ionosphere," Radio Science, Vol. 20, No. 1, 63-79, 1985.
4. Li, J. and P. Stoica, "MIMO radar with colocated antennas," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, Vol. 24, No. 5, 106-114, 2007.
5. Zhuge, X. and A. Yarovoy, "Near-field ultra-wideband imaging with two-dimensionalsparse MIMO array," Proc. 4th EuCAP, 1-4, Apr. 2010.
6. Cui, G., L. Kong, and J. Yang, "A back-projection algorithm to stepped-frequency synthetic aperture through-the-wall radar imaging," Asian and Pacific Conference on Synthetic Aperture Radar, 2007, Apsar 2007, 123-126, 2007.
7. Carrara, W. G., R. S. Goodman, and R. M. Majewski, Spotlight Synthetic Aperture Radar Signal Processing Algorithms, Artech House, Boston, MA, 1995.
8. Zhuge, X. and A. G. Yarovoy, "Three-dimensional near-field MIMO array imaging using range migration techniques," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 21, No. 6, 3026-33, 2012.
9. Goodman, J. W. and M. E. Cox, Introduction to Fourier Optics, 2nd Ed., 66-73, McGraw-Hill, 1968.
10. Goodman, J. W. and M. E. Cox, Introduction to Fourier Optics, 2nd Ed., 32-42, McGraw-Hill, 1968.
11. Goodman, J. W. and M. E. Cox, Introduction to Fourier Optics, 2nd Ed., 55-61, McGraw-Hill, 1968.
12. Wang, H. J., "MIMO radar imaging algorithm,", National University of Defense Technology, 2010.
13. Dayi, F., et al., "Method for displaying an active radar image and handheld screening device,", US9223018[P], 2015.
14. Gonzalez-Valdes, B., et al., "Improving security screening: A comparison of multistatic radar configurations for human body imaging," IEEE Antennas & Propagation Magazine, 1-1, 2016.