A new compact ultra-wideband (UWB) bandpass filter (BPF) with triple sharply notched bands and good stopband performance has been studied and implemented using a triple-mode stepped impedance resonator (TMSIR). The proposed TMSIR is found to have the advantages of introducing triple-notched bands and providing a higher degree of freedom to adjust the resonant frequencies. To validate the design theory, a new microstrip UWB BPF with three notched bands respectively centered at 5.2 GHz, 6.8 GHz, and 9.2 GHz is designed and fabricated. The simulated and experimental results are provided with good agreement.
2. Zhu, L., S. Sun, and W. Menzel, "Ultra-wideband (UWB) bandpass filters using multiple-mode resonator," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Letters, Vol. 15, No. 11, 796-798, 2005.
3. Qiang, L., Y.-J. Zhao, Q. Sun, W. Zhao, and B. Liu, "A compact UWB HMSIW bandpass filter based on complementary split-ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 11, 237-243, 2009.
4. Naghshvarian-Jahromi, M. and M. Tayarani, "Miniature planar UWB bandpass filters with circular slots in ground," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 3, 87-93, 2008.
5. Shobeyri, M. and M.-H. Vadjed-Samiei, "Compact ultra-wideband bandpass filter with defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 25-31, 2008.
6. Packiaraj, D., K.-J. Vinoy, and A.-T. Kalghatgi, "Analysis and design of two layered ultra wide band filter," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 8-9, 1235-1243, 2009.
7. Wang, H., L. Zhu, and W. Menzel, "Ultra-wideband bandpass filter with hybrid microstrip/CPW structure," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Letters, Vol. 15, No. 12, 844-846, 2005.
8. Comez-Garcia, R. and J.-I. Alonso, "Systematic method for the exact synthesis of ultra-wideband filtering responses using high-pass and low-pass sections," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 10, 3751-3764, 2006.
9. Hao, Z.-C. and J.-S. Hong, "UWB bandpass filter using cascaded miniature high-pass and lowpass filters with multilayer liquid crystal polymer technology," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 58, No. 4, 941-948, 2010.
10. Wong, S. W. and L. Zhu, "Implementation of compact UWB bandpass filter with a notch-band," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Letters, Vol. 18, No. 1, 10-12, 2008.
11. Wei, F., L. Chen, X.-W. Shi, X. H. Wang, and Q. Huang, "Compact UWB bandpass filter with notched band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 4, 121-128, 2008.
12. Wei, F., Q. Y. Wu, X. W. Shi, and L. Chen, "Compact UWB bandpass filter with dual notched bands based on SCRLH resonator," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Letters, Vol. 21, No. 1, 28-30, 2011.
13. Wu, H.-W., M.-H. Weng, and C.-Y. Hung, Ultra wideband bandpass filter with dual notch bands, Proc. Asia-Pacific Microwave Conf., 33-36, Yokohama, Japan, 2010.
14. Hsiao, P.-Y. and R.-M. Weng, "Compact tri-layer ultra-wideband bandpass filter with dual notch bands," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 49-60, 2010.
15. Hao, Z.-C., J.-S. Hong, S. K. Alotaibi, J. P. Parry, and D. P. Hand, "Ultra-wideband bandpass filter with multiple notch-bands on multilayer liquid crystal polymer substrate," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 3, No. 5, 749-756, 2009.
16. Nosrati, M. and M. Daneshmand, "Compact microstrip UWB double/single notch-band BPF based on wave’s cancellation theory," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 6, No. 8, 862-868, 2012.