This paper presents a broadband switchable 3D structure, which can be used to protect the information equipment from high intensity microwave wave. Compared to other defending designs, the proposed structure in this paper has wider working band. When the amplitude of incident wave within working band is low, the structure would allow them to pass with little loss. As the amplitude of incident wave is high enough to activate diode, the wave would be reflected. The Full-wave simulations are performed in CST to analyze the transmission performance. The simulated results verify the transmission performance and defending function. Its working principle is explained through change of the effective material parameters at two states. A prototype is fabricated. The protection property of the structure as a function of intensity of incident wave is verified in waveguide simulator.
2. Monni, s., et al., Limiting frequency selective surface, EuMC 2009 Microwave Conference, 606-609, Rome, European, 2009.
3. Yang, c., P. Liu, and X. Huang, "A novel method of energy selective surface for adaptive HPM/EMP protection," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 112-115, 2013.
4. Katko, A. R., A. M. Hawkes, J. P. Barrett, and S. A. Cummer, "RF limiter metamaterial using p-i-n diodes," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1571-1574, 2011.
5. Kim, S., H. Wakassuchi, J. J. Rushton, and D. F. Sievenpiper, "Switchable nonlinear metasurfaces for absorbing high power surface waves," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 108, 041903, 2016.
6. Wakascuchi, H., et al., "Experimental demonstration of nonlinear waveform-dependent metasurface absorber with pulsed signals," Electronics Letters, Vol. 49, No. 24, 1530-1531, 2013.
7. Wakascuchi, H., S. Kim, J. J. Rushton, and D. F. Sievenpiper, "Circuit-based nonlinear metasurface absorbers for high power surface currents," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 102, 214103, 2013.
8. Wakascuchi, H., S. Kim, J. J. Rushton, and D. F. Sievenpiper, "Waveform-dependent absorbing metasurfaces," Physics Review Letters, Vol. 111, No. 24, 245501, 2013.
9. Wakascuchi, H., J. J. Rushton, S. Kim, and D. F. Sievenpiper, "Metasurfaces to select waveforms at the same frequency," 8th International Congress on Advanced Electromagnetic Materials in Microwaves and Optics — Metamaterials, 2014.
10. Wall, W. S., S. M. Rudolph, S. K. Hong, and K. L. Morgan, "Broadband switching nonlinear metamaterial," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 427-430, 2014.
11. Scott, S., et al., "A frequency selective surface with integrated limiter for receiver protection," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1-2, 2012.
12. Szabo, Z., G.-H. Park, R. Hedge, and E.-P. Li, "A unique extraction of metamaterial parameters based on Kramers-Kronig relationship," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Technology, Vol. 58, No. 10, 2646-2653, 2010.